Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound echoes

Hi.

I'm running the game on an AMD K6 475, with a Soundblaster 16 audio card and I get echoes on every sound effect.
    Nothing else on my system does this, just this game and it's very annoying.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Interstingly enough, I just got a new computer with a Athelon 1000 MHz, 32 Soundblaster soundcard, and I get the echoes too. My old machine was a AMD K6-2 2something, so I don't think it's the processor, but I didn't have a soundblaster before, and I had no probs.
    Fitz. (n.) Old English
    1. Child born out of wedlock.
    2. Bastard.

Comment

Our hw couldn't be much different. My old system was a P166/MMX w/a CL SB Awe 64 Value 16bit ISA card w/no echo. Am now playing on a P4 @ 1.7 w/a CL SB Live Value 32bit PCI card w/echo. Gotta be a CL's thing. SMAC is the only piece of sw I have in which this occurs. I don't mind. Sounds kinda cool. I aint even gonna try to 'fix' this.

Comment

Same happening to me with a Soundblaster Chip and Athlon 1ghz. It can be annoying sometimes...
        'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy In The Sky
          CL SB Live Value 32bit PCI card
          That's the doohicky I get echo on with my new setup.
          Fitz. (n.) Old English
          1. Child born out of wedlock.
          2. Bastard.

Comment

You need to disable EAX in the Alpha Centauri.ini file.

Just look for 'eax' at the top of the file, and put a value of '0' (zero) in there.

Used to happen to me, until I did this.

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba

Just look for 'eax' at the top of the file, and put a value of '0' (zero) in there.

Cheers! Will give it a go....
              'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

@ Anunikoba: thx for the tip, it worked

Comment

Anunikoba, TY for that info. Clever. How'd you ever figure that out? (I like the reverb tho, so will stick w/it in this app.)

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks!

I'll give this a go!

Comment

Glad it worked

Comment

Nope, didn't work for me.

Well I tried it and I still get that annoying echo. It's like the sound file starts to go then stops and starts to go again!

Any more ideas?

Comment

Just make sure you disabled EAX correctly; otherwise, you are having a different problem entirely.

Comment

Well I found the file, opened it and found the line I was supposed to change. It was a 1 and I changed it to 0 and then saved the file and closed it. When I started the game the echo was still there.

Comment

Working...
                            X