Loan increases??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loan increases??

Here's the deal. I borrowed about 40 energy credits from Roze at a payback of 1 a year for 60 years. After 20 years (40 credits left to pay) she declared Vendetta on me after I probed her Pactmate (Zak) to get Pre-Sentient Algorithms. We had a short but sweet war - I took three of her bases (ovr 7 years) and she sued for peace. I accepted, but once I'd accepted she told me that my loan had grown to 329 credits! I was astounded - that's over eight times the original amount I borrowed from her!
    Is this a normal occurrence?
    (In the end, I got her to the point of Submissive, repaid her loan and then demanded the money back off her 'to refrain from crushing her like a bug'. She capitulated - and I got my cash back.)
    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Ouch. That seems like kind of a harsh penalty for suspending your loan repayments. I seldom take money from the AI so I hadn't noticed this feature. If you loan money to an AI faction that you later go to war with, do you get a similar bonus when the war is over?

Comment

Not on your life. All they say is 'Since our Vendetta has been satisfactorily resolved, I shall now resume my loan payments' and keep on paying you about 1 credit a year for about 4 years (or until you go to war with them AGAIN). I guess it's a mild incentive not to go to war, but like so many things in SMAC I feel it's needlessly balanced in favour of the AI. I'd rather Firaxis had spent more time programming a decent AI rather than giving it all these ridiculous advantages.

As a case in point, the fact that AI factions can declare war on you at any time just because you happen to have picked a Social Engineering choice that conflicts with their stupid ideology. Why can't you do that? Personally I'd stomp everyone who chose Thought Control into the ground...
      Also the complete anti-democracy of the Planetary Council. A faction with one base left has exactly the same influence on any non-electoral vote as a faction with 123 bases, every tech in the book and a military fit to crush anyone into a small pool of blue goop. This problem is quite a big one - I'd managed to eliminate all but three factions and those three had about 3 bases each but weren't submissive. I had hundreds of bases and was way ahead both technologically and militarily, so what does Dee do? Calls a Council and asks to melt the polar ice caps. 3 to 1 in favour, no executive veto (the Council's one saving grace). Pressure Domes galore, and death for the bases that can't build them fast enough.

Anyway, I'm raving.
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
      X