Dune and SMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dune and SMAX

There've been several threads about the relationship between Frank Herbert's Dune and SMAC/X. While re-reading the Dune series, I noticed another similarity that I don't recall having seen mentioned before.

In the Dune universe there is a prohibition against using atomic weapons. To do so would cause all the other Great Houses to declare war against the violator. The same is generally true in SMAC/X regarding Planet Busters. Nothing new in that observation.

However, here's an excerpt from Children of Dune (third book in the series):

[N]uclear weapons were a reserve held for one purpose: defense of humankind should a threatening "other intelligence" ever be encountered.

(bottom of page 128 in my edition)

This clearly parallels the SMAX rule that Planet Busters can be used against the Aliens without the other factions retaliating. I wonder if the SMAX designers were thinking of this?
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Really? I thought that Planetbusters used upon aliens will still result in relatliations? Nerve gas is ok alto.

However, Dune was one of inspirations for the game, yes.

According to the manuel, the following fictional works were sources of inspiration for game designers...

The Jesus Incident by Frank Herbert
    Dune by, again, Frank Herbert (he's so awesome)
    A Fire Upon the Deep - Vernor Vinge (never heard of this one)
    Anvil of Stars - Greg Bear (Didn't like his works but terrific concepts although)
    Slant Greg Bear once again
    The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
    The Real Story Stephen Donaldson (he's terrific too)
    Red Mars Kim Stanley Robinson
    The Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
      A Fire Upon the Deep - Vernor Vinge (never heard of this one)
      Really?? Never heard of him? Try a search for The Peace War or The Peacers War and Realtime. Those are his first works IIRC. He wrote some more since then, and my only regret is that he doesn't publice too offen. for writing skills IMHO.

Red Mars Kim Stanley Robinson
      Well... They had to get boreholes from somewhere, didn't they?
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Really? I thought that Planetbusters used upon aliens will still result in relatliations? Nerve gas is ok alto.
        Correct, I was thinking of Nerve Gas, not PBs
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

Go Boreholes. I remember a part in the Mars series where the a Red (Reds were kind of eco-terrorists who didn't want Mars terraformed) programmed the Formers to dig deeper than usual, resulting in a volcano being formed out of the borehole.

The Mars series (Red, Blue, Green) are also an inspiration for the idea of eco-terrorism. On many occasions the Reds used that Martian environment or existed terraforming efforts to their advantage. The Formers in SMAC also seem to be inspired by the Mars series. They're the size of buildings and can move earth at an unbelievable rate.

Examples of eco-terrorism used:
          Spoiler:
          causing high concentrations of oxygen to form near a base, then setting it on fire, causing hurricane winds to blow through a canyon to cause damage to the base, blowing a dam to flood a base, sabotaging water pumps to cause an icy flood, knocking down the Space Elevator (that was worth the entire book)... and some others I can't remember at the moment.
          It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

Working...
          X