Queue Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queue Bug

Lately I have been playing with the autodesign feature off. However, I noticed that I never get the "superformer" special ability, even after I get the required tech. I have not seen this reported before, so is this a bug?
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

In SMACX sometimes at least one of the special abilities will not appear. I have had off and on trouble with the marine control ability. Sometime games I won't get the option to add it. Autodesign off or even autodesign on.

Personally, I have never had trouble designing a superformer though. Is it only a problem when the autodesign is off?

Comment

Strange, I always turn autodesign off and never have problems. Or, I think I have no problems. I guess I always design certain units and those choices are always there for me. I'll have to check this out later. I have had to reinstall SMAC/X every few months after some files get corrupted...I mean like sounds don't play, etc. That seems to work. I would suggest you try that. Reinstallation generally solves any problems I have.

------------------
      Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers
      Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers

Comment

RedFred, I have never had the problem before, so I assume it is related to the fact that I have turned off autodesign.

Two other peculiarities, although I do not believe these should have any affect on this problem: First I play on a 180x180 random map. Second, I have given every faction the tech that permits the use of a carrier deck or a pressure hull. The last appears on the list of special abilities, but not the superformer special ability.

Finally, and I don't know why this is, many of the factions are wiped out at the start in virtually every game - I always play with abundant native life. However, they never restart even though that option is selected. Why, if anyone knows. Has it to do with map size?

Just a comment, even though carrier decks and pressure hulls are available from the get go, the AI never uses them. At least with respect to carrier decks, this is the same AI bug dating from the original CIV. With respect to subs, though, the AI in Civ often used subs. However it never uses subs in SMACX. Moreover, the AI seems to see the subs just as it seems to see enemy boats. In other words, pressure hulls are meaningless to the AI.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Is it possible that you aren't scrolling down on the special ability list? Sorry if I insult you by asking the question but I missed the fact you could scroll for quite some time, and got annoyed because the Nerve gas and trance abilities went missing in the later game.

Deep pressure hull doesn't really work - so it's probably best the AI doesn't use it.

If the AI has a unit with carrier deck in it's design workshop it does use it, for example I gifted a carrier foil once and the AI built more of the same design. I'm not sure if the AI actually used them as aircraft carriers, I suspect they would use them as stopping points for needlejets on long journeys, my own needlejets could land on the AI's carrier. (but didn't move when the carrier moved).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ned on 03-17-2001 12:24 AM

Finally, and I don't know why this is, many of the factions are wiped out at the start in virtually every game - I always play with abundant native life. However, they never restart even though that option is selected. Why, if anyone knows. Has it to do with map size?

Ned,

This used to happen to me after I edited the alphax.txt file (I think it was the "worldbuilder" section). I won at least one game on turn 1 (conquer victory) because all the other factions had been eliminated. I can't remember what the native life form settings were, but the maps were large, custom sized. After I restored the original alphax.txt, this problem never came back.
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

Blake, No, there is no scroll bar. I am quite familiar with that. I believe the problem must be the deep pressure hull capability.

Patek, I don't believe I ever edited the Alphax.txt file. This is a new computer, and the alphax.txt file was last modified on 12/19/1999. I believe this file came off the SMACX v2.0 patch.

Perhaps we should edit it in some fashion to eliminate the bug.

Finally on carrier decks: In CIV, this failure to use carriers was a major weakness in the AI. Without airpower, one simply could not launch an effective offensive. To some degree, this is true with SMACX, especially if one plays on large maps so that one really needs carriers to transport airpower across the oceans. If they ever come out with another patch for SMACX, I hope they fix this. Ditto CIV III.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ned on 03-18-2001 08:21 PM
                Finally on carrier decks: In CIV, this failure to use carriers was a major weakness in the AI. Without airpower, one simply could not launch an effective offensive. To some degree, this is true with SMACX, especially if one plays on large maps so that one really needs carriers to transport airpower across the oceans. If they ever come out with another patch for SMACX, I hope they fix this. Ditto CIV III.

In CivII, I've only seen the AI with carriers when playing scenarios. And then I find it hilarious when the AI takes a loaded carrier and dashes it against the rocks of a fortified mech infantry. Sing along, AI: "8 units were lost".

The HUGE difference in naval warfare between SMAC and CivII is the use of sea bases. To be honest, I don't know if Carrier Deck is an option because I've never tried to build one. Ocean too wide? Seabase! Sure, they're immobile and hence subject to more frequent attack, but they are so much more defensible: there isn't the all-or-nothing, heart-stopping feeling of carriers under attack. I like the sense of "controlling the waves" that they afford.

Comment

Working...
                X