Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you get all the early SPs?

....on Thinker or Transend level.

If not, which ones does the AI usually get?
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

The AI gets the ones I let it get, like the merchant exchange or the planetary datalinks. Sometimes it gets the command nexus, because I never bother researching the tech for it.

Comment

The AI often gets a good few of the early SPs-- I don't care about the Command Nexus for instance --- Or with a booming faction and good drone control I may not prioritize the PTS Its only around the time of the CBA and Cyborg factory that I want to get ALL of the SPs.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The AI sometimes gets the Planetary Datalinks or the Xenoempathy dome.

Otherwise I take them all, and I like it that way.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Method
          The AI gets the ones I let it get, like the merchant exchange or the planetary datalinks. Sometimes it gets the command nexus, because I never bother researching the tech for it.
          You let it get the Merchant Exchange??

That's the one I always do my best to get! The rest are ... expendable. Most I can get by without, but the ME is indispencable in my SSB:
          -bondetamp
          The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
          -H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by bondetamp

You let it get the Merchant Exchange??

That's the one I always do my best to get! The rest are ... expendable. Most I can get by without, but the ME is indispencable in my SSB:
            I have to agree with you somewhat. The ME is underrated. Once you have a energy park, that is an extra energy per crawler/trawler.
            Though it is not on the level of the WP, HGP, VW, etc.

And as usual, the ME in the AI's hands is worthless.
            "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
            "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
            "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Weather Paradigm > Merchant Exchange
              Human Genome Project > Merchant Exchange
              Virtual World > Merchant Exchange
              Planetary Energy Grid > Merchant Exchange
              Planetary Transit System > Merchant Exchange (perhaps somewhat questionable)
              Citizen's Defence Force > Merchant Exchange

:. * > Merchant Exchange

Comment

* > Merchant Exchange
                Would a ME that produced 2 extra energy make it worth fighting for?

Comment

It might. But most of the above still apply, I'd think. It _is_ more useful than, say the Planetary Datalinks or the Bulk Matter Transmitter, so * > Merchant Exchange isn't exactly true, but meh.

Comment

Weather Paradigm > Merchant Exchange
                    Human Genome Project > Merchant Exchange
                    Virtual World > Merchant Exchange
                    Planetary Energy Grid > Merchant Exchange
                    Planetary Transit System > Merchant Exchange (perhaps somewhat questionable)
                    Citizen's Defence Force > Merchant Exchange

:. * > Merchant Exchange
                    I disagree completely in a single player game.

Well, maybe not entirely. In the olden days, when I wanted nothing more than spend five weeks playing a single game, and therefor had 100-200 bases, the SPs with nation wide benefits would skyrocket in usefulness.

These days, I generally play a perfectionist game with 5-10 bases with a central port base being my designated SSB. In those games I would say that

ME > WP (I can always build a few extra formers, and it is generally no problem to keep ahead of base growth anyhow.)
                    ME > HGP (That one talent can be very useful, but hardly vital.)
                    ME >=< VW (This is a close one, as free Hologram Theatres means massive savings!)
                    ME > PEG (I generally have Energy Banks in all bases by the time this tech is researched)
                    ME > PTS (By the time I get Ind. Aut. I have all the bases I want. I try to get it anyway, though, as an enemy, or even worse, an ally, can be a pain in the ass with this SP)
                    ME > CDF (Again, playing a perfectionist's game, all my bases have walls by the time the tech becomes available.)

:. ME, VW > *

-bondetamp
                    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                    -H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by bondetamp
                      ME > WP (I can always build a few extra formers, and it is generally no problem to keep ahead of base growth anyhow.)
                      Whatever floats your proverbial boat, I guess.
                      ME > HGP (That one talent can be very useful, but hardly vital.)

One talent in every base, or +1 energy/sq in one base? Eihn, same thing as above I guess.
                      ME >=< VW (This is a close one, as free Hologram Theatres means massive savings!)

VW > ME.
                      ME > PEG (I generally have Energy Banks in all bases by the time this tech is researched)

At least deny it from the AI and sell off your already-build banks.
                      ME > PTS (By the time I get Ind. Aut. I have all the bases I want. I try to get it anyway, though, as an enemy, or even worse, an ally, can be a pain in the ass with this SP)

Agreed, and I usually have done all the expanding I want to do by this point as well, but instant size-3 bases with no drones is nice to have, though certainly not vital by any means.
                      ME > CDF (Again, playing a perfectionist's game, all my bases have walls by the time the tech becomes available.)

same as the PEG. At least deny it from the AI and sell.

Comment

Playing as the Believers-The AI gets everyone.

Playing as the Hive-The AI gets maybe one or two that I don't built.
                        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                        *****Citizen of the Hive****
                        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

In SP on transcend, I'd get all bar the CN (although I could get that too if I aimed for it more). Literally all. Theres no point in giving the AI any projects. On any level lower than transcend, the ai can't start a project until you have the tech (I think. I'm fairly certain this is the case, but haven't done extensive testing since I always play on transcend), and so I'd get every project.

Agreed, and I usually have done all the expanding I want to do by this point as well, but instant size-3 bases with no drones is nice to have, though certainly not vital by any means.
                          Eek! If there was one SP that would be always always ALWAYS better than the ME, its the PTS! I don't usually ICS that much (or at all, depending), but this one is always a demanded in SP, since it works out at probably 1.5-2x more pop, instantly. bee-line to ind auto, and it's easily built by 2135 even on a huge map, and I defy anyone to have finished expanding by then.

The ME is a great project in it's own right though, especially in SMAX, where you can do trawler parks. ME + free market + thermal transducer + lots of trawlers on sea solar collecters = 6 energy squares at virtually no terraforming cost. Makes for an awesome SSC or second SSC. If it gave +2 energy per square then it'd be worth killing people for, even allies. ME

C
                          Play hangman.

Comment

Part of the problem is that the ME gives almost no benefit until energy restrictions are lifted, for any faction at +2 econ with forests everywhere. It pays for itself only after a substantial delay, whereas the PTS pays for itself immediately and others like the WP at least start paying off immediately. If the ME were tied to environmental economics, it would probably look more desirable.
                            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                            -BBC news

Comment

As long as I get the WP, VW & the HGP in the early game I'm happy. Later on I get more greedy though. I have gotten all of the SPs on three occasions on Transcend level, but it usually requires a bit of luck.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X