PLANET rating and Psi Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLANET rating and Psi Combat

I was wondering about the specifics of how a faction's PLANET rating impacted on Psi Combat.

I understand that for each 'point' of positive PLANET rating the factions receives a bonus to Psi Combat.
    - Is this bonus capped at +30%, or does having a +4, or higher, PLANET rating increase this modifier?
    - Does having a negative PLANET rating result in Psi Combat penalties? If so, to what extent?
    Trithemius
    ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Re: PLANET rating and Psi Combat

Originally posted by Trithemius
    I was wondering about the specifics of how a faction's PLANET rating impacted on Psi Combat.

I understand that for each 'point' of positive PLANET rating the factions receives a bonus to Psi Combat.
    - Is this bonus capped at +30%, or does having a +4, or higher, PLANET rating increase this modifier?
    No idea. I think it does go higher, though.

- Does having a negative PLANET rating result in Psi Combat penalties? If so, to what extent?
    Yes; the same as the bonus, but in the opposite direction.

Another thing to note: these modifiers only apply when you're attacking. They don't apply if you're defending.

Comment

Re: Re: PLANET rating and Psi Combat

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
      Another thing to note: these modifiers only apply when you're attacking. They don't apply if you're defending.
      Thanks!

Its a bit odd that the modifiers are only offensive though...
      Trithemius

Comment

Well, given that the defender is at a big disadvantage in Psi combat anyway, I would imagine they wanted to keep Morgan from being utterly massacred by worm-heavy factions. (I mean, can you imagine taking on a Gaian worm with +30% PLANET bonus, when you have a lesser power rating AND a 30% penalty? It would be insane)

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
          Well, given that the defender is at a big disadvantage in Psi combat anyway, I would imagine they wanted to keep Morgan from being utterly massacred by worm-heavy factions. (I mean, can you imagine taking on a Gaian worm with +30% PLANET bonus, when you have a lesser power rating AND a 30% penalty? It would be insane)
          Ah good point. It does encourage you to go on the offensive against other worm-using factions if you make use of Psi though; good to know if I start playing the Gaians or Fungus-Boy.
          Trithemius

Comment

If there were both attack and defense penalites there would be no chance to beat Deidre or Cha Down ( 60 percent effective penalty).
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

What are you guys smoking? Of course their is psi defense penalties. Haven't you ever played Morgan with a free market? Late in the game, with minus 30% in psi, playing defense, even with tachyon fields, hypnotic trance, and a lot of missiles, killing the psi with a free market is hard, and playing defense is just outright suicide. Unless, of course, you're like me, and send out fifty formers, kind of like a kamikaze former army, because, besides probe teams, I have nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                What are you guys smoking? Of course their is psi defense penalties. Haven't you ever played Morgan with a free market? Late in the game, with minus 30% in psi, playing defense, even with tachyon fields, hypnotic trance, and a lot of missiles, killing the psi with a free market is hard, and playing defense is just outright suicide. Unless, of course, you're like me, and send out fifty formers, kind of like a kamikaze former army, because, besides probe teams, I have nothing else.
                I rarely play Morgan, to be honest. I find capitalistic societies the least interesting society to play with in SMAC/X (possibly because I live in one?).

Also: the respondents to this thread have noticed that there is a defence penalty already.
                Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by Trithemius

Also: the respondents to this thread have noticed that there is a defence penalty already.
                  This is not what was said. Prior posters have correctly noted that a negative planet rating does not confer a penalty when defending against a psi attack.
                  "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                  -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Petek
                    This is not what was said. Prior posters have correctly noted that a negative planet rating does not confer a penalty when defending against a psi attack.
                    Uh yeah... that's what I meant to say. Oops.

I guess this is a monument to the need to proof-read, or at least to ensure that your hands are typing what your head is thinking.
                    Trithemius

Comment

It's the best when you have negative Planet rating and are losing everything to hordes of mindworms. Not only do you suffer from penalties in combat vs. native life, but the fungal blooms destroy all your echelon mirrors, boreholes, farms, etc and masses...and I mean MASSES of mindworms and locusts pop out.
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

....I still haven't figured out how Lazerus does it.
                        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                        *****Citizen of the Hive****
                        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

How Lazerus does what?
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                            Are you smoking something? There is no penalty in defence, only when you are attacking with psi.
                            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Ah, obstructor, perhaps you should try a free market and then get killed by mind worms. I may be lazy on the game, but I know all the concepts. It may change on difficulty levels, but I know for a fact you get penalties, with a free market and -3 planet, its a 30% penalty. No, I'm not smoking anything, if you don't believe me, try it on your computer, I just checked playing the believers and morgans, and big disadvantages late in game.

Comment

Working...
                              X