Best Tech in game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tech in game

My friend and I are making this scenario. One rule is is that you can't advance in technology, but everyone starts with one tech. Then I wondered, if you could only choose one tech for the game, what would it be?

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Personally, I'd go with Centauri Ecology, for the formers, or Planetary Networks, for the probe teams.

Comment

Advanced SpaceFlight......but if I have to choose with an early game tech, I'd go with Centauri Ecology.
      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
      *****Citizen of the Hive****
      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Only one tech in the entire game? Centauri Ecology no doubt.

That'd be a nifty PBEM - everybody can have only one tech. Would a faction with centauri ecology be able to survive against a faction that has impact lasers but no formers?
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Industrial Automation.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Umm... Doc Initative. If I was the only one, I could rule the waves. Or Doc Airpower for the same reasons. Fear my 1-1-12 noodles!

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

The problem with Centauri Ecology is, sure you have formers, but the resource restrictions are still in place, so their utility is limited.

Orbital Spaceflight, with the sky hydroponics labs, might make an interesting alternate.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Doctrine: Mobility
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Maybe whatever lets you build mindworms.
                    Nah, I'll have to go with industrial automation.

Whoever can spawn the most 1-1-1's wins.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Planetary networks. All your tech belong to us.
                      Play hangman.

Comment

Don't forget Threshold of Transcedence. If you can manage somehow to get the industry to build this project, you won't have to worry about military units attacking you. But still, its a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                          The problem with Centauri Ecology is, sure you have formers, but the resource restrictions are still in place, so their utility is limited.
                          Perhaps but wouldn't a completely terraformed base tiles with farms, roads, mines, the works be better than bare terrain?
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

It depends. Namely on the answer to:

What exactly do you mean by "cannot advance in technology"?

Is the objective to end the game with exactly one tech? (Implications: Reload after popping a tech from pod, no tech probing, no build of biology lab, no use for alien artifacts except of rushing one SP)?
                            In this case I'd go for firepower, perhaps for Advanced Space Flight which also gives you also a satellite. Then I have to hope for either popping a transport and never losing it.
                            Or for a naval tech (probably the one with cruiser and MCC): You can bombard and definitely cross the seas.

If probing is allowed and the AI can do research, Probe Teams are the way to go (bad luck if stuck on a continent on your own).

If probing is allowed, and no other research can be done, I'm not sure: On the one hand, you'll need probes, on the other hand, Planetary Networks will be the only tech in the game because everybody thinks so.

If obtaining techs through pods is allowed: Centauri Empathy. This gives a SP, the Green SE choice, and the ability to build mindworms. Which means you'll get good Pod Poppers, and an army which forces others to play to your rules, plus you've got an attack bonus of +20% and a defensive bonus when in fungus.

If the rule simply means to set research to 0%, Secrets of AC, because Transcends are the best researchers you'll get, and you don't need a base size of >=5 to have them.
                            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I imagined that in this game, all factions human and AI would have only one tech and we wouldn't be allowed to trade or probe-steal techs. So basically we all would start with one tech and end with the same tech we started out with.
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                              X