Problem with faction editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with faction editor

I go into the faction editor and edit my faction, and that works fine. BUt for some reason, it won't then display that faction's artwork (leader portrait, and I assume base models and the like.) What's the problem, and how do I fix it? Thanks.

How can I get this faction editor?
    I am timotheus4 of SimCity 4 fame, recently discovered the wonder of Alpha Centauri and EU2!

Comment

Simpler to edit the faction.txt directly to link graphics.

Faction Editor comes with SMAX. Buy Smax, get editor.

Comment

I like using the editor, though, and find I can do more. Anyone have any anwers? I have a long way version. . . use the editor, copy the new faction file elsewhere, then reinstall the game. That fixes it. . .

Comment

Erik - Assuming that you are using SMAX, you get the graphics files to be recognized by a) putting the appropriate files into the main AC directory (I beileve that there are 3 .pcx files and 1 .txt file) and b) inserting the faction name (as it appears in the filenames and whatever appropriate places, like in the factionname.txt file) in the appropriate turn order in the faction list within the AlphaCentauri.ini file (also in that same directory). This works at least for games that have been started by the scenario editor and may not work for games started with the automatic game generator - see below paragraph for alternate method (although if you start out a new game right after changing the AC.ini file's faction list, it will offer your faction as one of the initial choices).

If you instead have included the faction name in one of the lists (preferably #CUSTOMFACTIONS) near the end of the Alphax.txt file (in addition to including the 4 files as above), the game will also be able to supply that faction when starting out a new game, either as one of the initial factions, or as one of the additional factions availaable.

Be careful when messing around with these files and lists, as mistakes (such as omitting or mispelling any of the filenames) can cause major problems with starting up the game.

Comment

The Faction Editor was put together with really sloppy programming.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by timotheus4
              How can I get this faction editor?
              If you don`t have SMAX check Apolyton files. I think it should be there.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by johndmuller
                Erik - Assuming that you are using SMAX, you get the graphics files to be recognized by a) putting the appropriate files into the main AC directory (I beileve that there are 3 .pcx files and 1 .txt file) and b) inserting the faction name (as it appears in the filenames and whatever appropriate places, like in the factionname.txt file) in the appropriate turn order in the faction list within the AlphaCentauri.ini file (also in that same directory). This works at least for games that have been started by the scenario editor and may not work for games started with the automatic game generator - see below paragraph for alternate method (although if you start out a new game right after changing the AC.ini file's faction list, it will offer your faction as one of the initial choices).

If you instead have included the faction name in one of the lists (preferably #CUSTOMFACTIONS) near the end of the Alphax.txt file (in addition to including the 4 files as above), the game will also be able to supply that faction when starting out a new game, either as one of the initial factions, or as one of the additional factions availaable.

Be careful when messing around with these files and lists, as mistakes (such as omitting or mispelling any of the filenames) can cause major problems with starting up the game.
                Thanks, though I don't think you quite got to my problem.

For example, I edit the Cybernetic Consciousness. I want to use their graphic sets. I have their graphic set selected in the faction editor (the lowest bar on the Faction screen) and save the file when I'm done. Everything works okay, except that the Cybernetic Consciousness graphics sets are not available, and the game selects a different set (usually Deirdre, presumably because her graphic set is at the top of the list.) In game, the graphics are. . . wonky. I was wondering if anyone else had these problems, and/or knew of a good fix for them. As mentioned above, performing the edit, moving the factions .txt file to another location, and reinstalling the game fixes the problem, though this is a bit time-consuming.

Comment

I've got a slightly different problem. I've finally gotten files I've edited to work, with the pictures, but I've got a wierd symbol in the text that looks like a little verticle rectangle, and I've got a blue background surrounding my bases. Can somebody tell me what is going on.

Comment

Ah, the infamous blue base background.

Simple, make a copy from an original faction, rename it to your custom faction and place (ie. in paint) your new base graphics on the right spot.

Then start the tricky part. Make a color sample of the file background somewhere OUTSIDE the place where the bases are, and fill the base backgrounds then with that color sample.
                    I know that it probably looks the same, but somehow the game considers the color different.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I've done what you said, and not only I'm I getting blue around the bases, but also around the datalinks and stuff. This has nothing to do with me running on XP, does it?

Comment

Mmm, you sure you didn't take a background color sample in one of the base rectangles? With outside the base places I meant somewhere else then the left up space where base graphics are located.

I'm creating my custom factions that way all the time (btw, I use one of the 7 SMAX faction graphics, not the SMAC ones).
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Sirrocco: check out the 'Problem with first PCX file' thread in the AC-Creation section, it's explained more indept over there.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                          X