Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of Factional Combinations (SMACX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Factional Combinations (SMACX)

If you like to solve combinatorial problems, compute the total number of possible combinations of factions in a SMACX game. Assume that either both alien factions must be present or neither (since some early versions allowed a single alien presence). Also assume that the same faction doesn't appear twice in the same game. I've posted my answer below, after some spoiler space.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

First count the number of combinations that include no aliens. That would be choosing 7 factions from 12, which is 12!/(7!5!), or 792. Next, if both alien factions are present, the remaining 5 slots can be filled from any of the twelve non-aliens. That's 12!/(5!7!), which also is 792. The sum 792+792=1584 is the total number of possible combinations.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Is this really the answer? For example are not these 2 combinations simply a repeat, but in different slots. So it would not truely be a different combination would it?

#1 Spartans #2 Believers
    Hive Peacekeepers
    Gaians Morgan
    Believers Spartans
    Morgan University
    University Hive
    Peacekeepers Gaians

Therefore, I would not concur with your results.

Comment

Well, if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time! However, in your example you've given two permutations of the same combination of factions. In a permutation, the ordering of the elements matters, whereas the order in a combination does not. The formula for the number of ways to choose r objects from a collection of n [n!/r!(n-r)!] gives the number of combinations of n objects taken r at a time. If you want the number of permutations of k objects taken r at a time, the formula is n!/(n-r)!

In short, I think that I only counted your #1 and #2 as one combination.

(Sorry if this reply sounds overly defensive. I still admit I could be all wet!)
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Petek,

You've got it right. This is basic prob/stats stuff. Apply this to a deck of cards, and you'll really see how hard it is to pull that inside straight on the tables in Vegas.
        "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
        "That which does not kill me, missed." -- Anonymous war gamer
        "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

Working...
        X