Disappering Faction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappering Faction

I have heard about it, now I have seen it. Between 2315 and 2316, all Rose's bases disappeared. One could still talk to her, but she had no bases.

Here is the game from 2316 just in case you want to see it. Rose's bases were all located on a Island to the SW. (Opps, the file is just a few bytes too large. So trust me on what I am telling you.)

What causes this, pray tell?
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Re: Disappering Faction

Originally posted by Ned
    I have heard about it, now I have seen it. Between 2315 and 2316, all Rose's bases disappeared. One could still talk to her, but she had no bases.

Here is the game from 2316 just in case you want to see it. Rose's bases were all located on a Island to the SW. (Opps, the file is just a few bytes too large. So trust me on what I am telling you.)

What causes this, pray tell?
    Same thing happened to me playing the Gaians- I was about to deprive Morgan of some of his bases and a couple of secret projects then shazam! Infrastructure but no bases- but Morgan was still around for diplomacy. One turn later, he pops up with two settlers, all his research, and builds a new base. Very strange.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I've seen this very rarely too - a strange effect I remember was that I could see the red lines around where the lost faction's bases used to be!

It has even happened to my faction - everything disappeared and I got kicked into some random space with a colony pod!

Comment

Is this some kind of a random event? If this is very early in the game, I could imagine that the bases are reduced to colony pods so you don't see bases but the faction still exists. But at that late of a stage in the game ...
        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Since it does happen, it may actually be programmed. This is the first time it happened in one of my games, though. The thing about Rose in this game was that she had the most SPs and was leading in Tech at the time of the disaster. This seems to suggest that it was a radom event, which seems to only happen to leaders.

Perhaps this was originally programmed as some sort of supervirus that got out of control, totally wiping out the faction that produced it. But, for some reason, Firaxis decided to delete the supervirus scenario. The code, though remains and can be triggered in some fashion.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

- sigh! -

It's a bug. A probe team enters a headquarters city ("Capital") and attempts to "free captured faction leader".

Lets say Rose has eliminated the Gaians and is holding Deidre for interrogation. A probe team (usually an allied one BTW - enemy probe team should never get anywhere near your capital) attempts this marvellous new SMACX probe team action. The "supervirus" - i.e. Firaxis's code gets the two factions confused and Rose's mighty empire disappears because the game thinks it's just freed Rose - not Deidre. Rose gets restarted with one base and is eternally grateful to the owner of the probe team who triggered this feature.

- doh! -

Comment

Steve, Ah Hah! On move 2315, I captured Courage to Question, capital of the Usurper faction. Rose then disappeared, like you said, as if she were now "freed." However, the Usurpers had captured Himee, not Rose.

Note, I did not free Himee as that would have prevented a diplomatic victory - which I won a few turns later after I finished dismantling the Usurpers. I simply captured the base.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but Rose had the #1 slot in the faction list.

Comment

The same thing has happend to myself, Yang lanched a planet buster against Zak, and I (the drones) lost all of my bases...
                What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Were you still alive?
                  Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I conjecture that Zak had capture some other faction's leader.

Comment

Working...
                    X