New Alpha Centauri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alpha Centauri

I love the alpha centauri games but I was just wondering if anybody had any info if they are making a new alpha centauri game.

hi i also love alpha centauri games but no they arent making a new one and i hope they dont because if they do they will butcher it hey do you know where i can see beta screenshots arent you a dl or something?
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Don't take Tassadar seriously - he's just in a mischievous mood.

No, there aren't any sequels planned. The game was designed by Brian Reynolds, but the copyrights are owned by Firaxis Games. Ever since Reynolds left Firaxis, nobody really knows who owns the rights to Alpha Centauri.

So the game franchise will probably begin and end with SMAC, as we know it.

It's a darn good game, though - the best TBS I've seen so far.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I believe Civ 3 added some very nice things, but also missed out on a lot that SMAC has. A nifty combo between the two, with some additional changes would make for the perfect TBS in my eyes.

I fear that the strengths of SMAC will be lost forever though.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
          hi i also love alpha centauri games but no they arent making a new one and i hope they dont because if they do they will butcher it hey do you know where i can see beta screenshots arent you a dl or something?

I guess that after about the 1000th 'will there be a SMAC 2?' post, there's really just no reason to be civil anymore. Do you know where I can see beta screen shots oh boy oh boy .
          "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Still gotta admit they are fools if who ever owns the rights to this game doesn't go on to make a SMAC 2 or at least takes all of the concepts of the game and makes another game similar to SMAC out of it. Civ 3 is a far cry from this as it is just so freaking basic. It is a step way in the wrong direction. Maybe Civ 4 will be better?
            AMD4EVER

Comment

If there ever is a civ 4. And don't forget, with MoO3 in mind, what can happen if they try to make games too complex.

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

All they need to do is bring AC into the 3d realm and improve the AI as well as the multiplayer platform. The game is already about as complex as it needs to be. They just need to get a smarter AI, some new factions/weapons/techs/projects and the like, and they need to make it look nicer.
                AMD4EVER

Comment

I had never heard of MoO3 before. I'm reading about it right now and it sounds pretty interesting. What is wrong with the game and is it all that similar to AC?
                  AMD4EVER

Comment

There appears to be no Alpha Centauri in the works at the moment. I wasn't too excited by Brian Reynolds' last project (Rise of Nations, a rather complicated yet flavorless RTS game), and since he's working at his own company, he's unlikely to wrestle with Firaxis for the Alpha Centauri license.

Personally, I consider every change made in Civ 3 to be a change for the worse, so I'd be very dissappointed to see a SMAC 2 game which included any of Civ 3's 'innovations'.

What I'd like to see in a SMAC 2 game is a rebuild of the game with better graphics (supporting resolutions of up to 1600 x 1200 would be very nice), and some gameplay tweaks to reign in some of the more overused strategies. Choppers should have shorter range, I'm thinking 6 or even 4 squares base instead of 8. The carrier and deep pressure hulls desperately need to be moved down the tech tree, and the reactor improvements should be sprinkled through the tech tree to make a more scaled progression of reactor types

Comment

It appears many of the innovative concepts in SMAC are making it into the new Civ3 expansion, Conquests.
                      "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                      I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                      --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                        There appears to be no Alpha Centauri in the works at the moment. I wasn't too excited by Brian Reynolds' last project (Rise of Nations, a rather complicated yet flavorless RTS game), and since he's working at his own company, he's unlikely to wrestle with Firaxis for the Alpha Centauri license.

Personally, I consider every change made in Civ 3 to be a change for the worse, so I'd be very dissappointed to see a SMAC 2 game which included any of Civ 3's 'innovations'.

What I'd like to see in a SMAC 2 game is a rebuild of the game with better graphics (supporting resolutions of up to 1600 x 1200 would be very nice), and some gameplay tweaks to reign in some of the more overused strategies. Choppers should have shorter range, I'm thinking 6 or even 4 squares base instead of 8. The carrier and deep pressure hulls desperately need to be moved down the tech tree, and the reactor improvements should be sprinkled through the tech tree to make a more scaled progression of reactor types
                        All of these changes would be welcome. Smax is such a wonderful game that I really don't desire radical changes but the following would be nice

- adopt the Civ3 discussion box for trading-- The ability to actually negotiate with the AI was one of the very few things I liked from Civ3

--make it easier to see endangered squares-- a very rough map that you can toggle showing all endangered squares highlighted would be a plus

-- change the terrain raising model to allow terraformers to build ****s to protect lands-- ie maintain no elevation change and /or allow land raising of a specified amount . .. I just want a way to be able to maintain lands

-- perhaps tweak native life to make it stronger in the mid to late game and not so susceptable to artillery fire

-- reduce the power of the self-destruct trick

I particularly like your suggestion to reduce chopper power and move fusion power lower in the tree-- AS it stands, 3 level reactors are almost never used
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

More

For whoever has played civ3 and gone to war you know that you can't use roads or railroads in your opponents territory I know that it is a set back and can get annoying sometimes but it makes it more realistic. The Romans used roads within their territory to get there faster they couldn't count on enemy roadways. Another thing that I was disapointed about civ was that the airplanes where immobile now that really sucked. I never use aircrafts in civ. Sorry for getting off topic but I had to prove a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I particularly like your suggestion to reduce chopper power and move fusion power lower in the tree-- AS it stands, 3 level reactors are almost never used
                            That can be accomplished right now just by editing the alpha.txt and alphax.txt files

G.

Comment

There is a lot of changes I'd make to SMAC that would make it a lot better in my eyes. Some can be edited in, but that's rather pointless since the only way to play SMAC is multiplayer, the AI is simply to appalingly dumb that you can't lose on single player.

Comment

Working...
                              X