ACEDIT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACEDIT question

Can this editor be used to edit factions in SMACX? I know the faction editor is present but I does not work for me. The graphics are messed up or something?

Sounds like you need to get the recent patches for smacx. The faction editor works great. Graphics have to be edited using paintshop pro or something like it. You can find help with editing graphics on the front page of this site.

quote:

Originally posted by TheSmitty on 03-26-2000 11:54 PM
    Can this editor be used to edit factions in SMACX? I know the faction editor is present but I does not work for me. The graphics are messed up or something?

------------------

Comment

Thanks for the reply. However, I think I am running the latest patches. I am running the Planetary Pack version and when I check the version number of SMACX it says version 2.

Hmmm.....

Comment

On the subject of Faction Editor, does anybody else have the problem that I find? Namely, the no matter what you change, the faction you make still has one erroneous adjective for it (usually that it is called the "Hive" as an adjective)?

Presumably this can be changed anyway in the alpha.txt or the new faction.txt, but does anybody have any clue if this small bug has been corrected? Or is it even a bug at all? Am I just missing something rather fundamental?

------------------
        "In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Open your faction txt file and edit the fifth line; Hive, Hive,
          For some reson the faction editor doesn't change this one line.
          Kitt

Comment

I would seriously warn anyone against using the faction editor. First off, the above-mentioned failure to properly modify everything it needs to. Second, when saving, it will truncate long lines of dialogue, even ones from the original factions. Third, and most serious, it may crash your game entirely, forcing you to re-install. (Yes, I have every patch).

Some people obviously feel it works great, but if I were you I'd just learn to edit the faction files by hand, since that's what you'll end up having to do anyway.

Comment

i totally agree with Helium. the Faction Editor hoses dialog and other bits. use it to *view* faction files to figure out what different parts do, but do NOT *save* a file with it.

i would use ACEdit or CentauriEd (sorry, URLs not handy).

TeknoMerc
              TeknoMerc

Comment

Which brings me back to my original question. Can I use ACEDIT to edit the factions in SMACX?

Thanks

Comment

smitty,

the answer to ACEdit and SMACX is "yes and no". it will work, but does not support some SMACX add-ons. for example, i made an Illuminati faction recently with an ability to get tech for every 3 factions infiltrated. in SMACX, that's equates to TECHSHARE 3. ACEdit does not support this yet. another biggie: ACEdit does not add dialog for alien interactions, but you can copy/paste from a SMACX faction and modify.

in summary, please use ACEdit to create what you can, then edit the rest manually. it's really not much work. the editor will on change SMACX faction stuff it understands.

TeknoMerc
                  TeknoMerc

Comment

It's really easy to edit Factions manually with a text editor like Notepad. All the abilities are documented, as well as instructions for changing things like dialogue.

No bugs, no fuss.

Comment

Working...
                    X