AMD4EVER Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
    Its probably not a big secret anyway whatever this 'flaw' is. And there are so many security loopholes in PBEM AC that your best bet is to only play with players you can trust.
    The flaw is obviously big enough to have it be called a game breaker and community breaker. I'm sure a description will be made available soon and you will be able to judge for yourself whether it is a big secret.
    AMD4EVER

Comment

Curious and worried. I want to know what all the fuss is over but I'm only in my first 2 pbems and dont want to see this place wrecked
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        Honest persons here would not use cheats, even if somehow having a 100% guarantee against detection.

I have a few more things to say, and I will PM those to you now.
        Lets just say I don't think there is such thing as an honest person then. Especially if they know they cannot get caught and are in a position of power anyways, I don't trust them.

I sent you a PM but it said your mailbox was full after I sent it. If you didn't get my message, just know I asked that a description be posted of this flaw.
        AMD4EVER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
          Curious and worried. I want to know what all the fuss is over but I'm only in my first 2 pbems and dont want to see this place wrecked
          The admins are being a little extreme on this. They want to be this way to justify their position more, but I seriously doubt this would ruin the game even if people decided to try using it. As I experienced in my use of this flaw, only in the early goings can it really make a difference in the outcome. Monitoring what goes on early one would assure that nothing questionable is occurring and I doubt that people would be to brave about using it to an extreme extent anyways if everyone knew about it.
          AMD4EVER

Comment

Hopefully we can still trust others and not have to use an impartial game moderator who knows everyone's password to monitor and detect cheating.
            Promoter of Public Morale
            Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Sometimes people in a PBEM decide before hand whether to allow some of the bugs such as stock pile energy bug, and it can be used consistently and do not make the game unplayable. This kind of bugs should be known and rule decided beforehand because if some people are using it and others are not would mean unfair advantage toward some, while if everybody agree to use of not use then the game is still fun to play.

However, the bug you were describing that you could finish multiple big projects all together without real effort would mean that the entire game machanism is destroyed. It is not about whether some are using it and some are not, it is about if it is exploited then the game becomes unplayable.

It is for this reason I tend to agree with the administrators that this flaw is better to be left unknown. I vow to never use it toward my own advantage, since I'm playing for fun, and I would not feel it is fun if I have to cheat to win. If I lose because somebody else uses it, fine, let it be. It is not that if I lose I have to give a million dollars.

There are still newbies in this community. I, for one, just started my first PBEM game, as well as I believe the other two or three people in the game.
              Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

HongHu, yes, some bugs are disputable. This one is worse - basically, it allows the player to complete extremely expensive things (secret projects, prototypes, whatnot) at a basically non-existient cost, only needing to complete that stuff the normal way at one base.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Gee, posted the description in a new thread, but I wanted to do it in the official bug and exploit list... none to be found, though.

Comment

Ouch so 50ec to rush a former or something and everything is done !!
                    Think firaxis could bring out a new patch for this ?
                    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Well, practically, yes, you can complete production at any number of bases if you rush production at one... the most bizzare form would be to have a base rushing scout patrol every turn, and thus getting all your bases completing stuff every turn. This would, of course, provide undisputable victory, but hardly anyone will be that dumb to do that.

And I highly doubt there will be a patch. After all, there's actually a handful of other bugs that would need fixing, and Firaxis are busy with other things now.

Comment

And I happened to get a message from a person that states this bug can not exist, as it would have been discovered long ago, that it's complete crap and merely a joke and intimidation campaign. To anyone who doesn't believe, I'll play a PBEM with you using this to show how bad it is, if you do not believe.

Comment

Well if they believe that this cannot exist, isn't it for the good for everybody? By deleting the original thread I thought the intend is not to let people know about this bug.
                          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Since it hasn't been asked that i can see : This is a pbem ONLY bug right ?

Comment

My understanding is that you can use it whenever you want, PBEM or SP. Although why would you need to cheat on the poor AIs?

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Correct, you can use it in PBEM, SP, AND normal multiplayer games, the latter being, IMO, the most dangerous. IP games are not monitored as closely as PBEMs are, so there the use of this cheat would go unnoticed more likely.

By deleting the original thread I thought the intend is not to let people know about this bug.

Not to know how to execute it, but know how the symptoms - which have been posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X