In 3D I find FREEDOM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 3D I find FREEDOM!

In one of my recent games playing as Domai I built the Cloudbase Academy. Big deal right. Only an aerospace center at every base, and you can just build them individually. Wrong, I got +2 movement for my bombers and my choppers. I think it has something to do with being Domai, because I've never experienced that with Miriam or anyone else.

Here is an example of +2 movement.

Elite Fusion Chopper without nanocells. 15 movement.

DOMAI RULES!!!

Are you sure you didn't have a more advanced reactor with Domai. That could make your difference.

LoD
    I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
    LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
    civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

Hi Adam

I have to disagree with you here - the Cloudbase Academy is a seriously useful SP, particularly when you consider the impact of Orbital improvements. Once you're building satellites for food, energy and minerals, the impact on new bases is tremendous when they have an aerospace complex from day 1! Without it, the benefit of orbital improvements is halved.

I guess if you play with only a few highly developed cities then the impact of this SP is reduced. But if you like to play on huge maps (as I do), you're probably building many dozens of bases?

- Mis
      Team 'Poly

Comment

The CBA is certainly worth building, if only for the savings on maintenance costs. The morale benefits are no minor consideration either.

But there are a number of projects worth building at about the same time. I'm not sure if I would build the CBA instead of something like the SuperCollider in a base that also had the Merchant Exchange. It is important to leverage your strengths to gain the maximum benefit of your faction's skills.
        Now get the Hell out of our Galaxy!

Comment

On more thing Adam: one of the best things about SPs that give you free structures, is that you don't have to pay the upkeep for those structures. The Aerospace Complexe's cost per turn is 2. Multiply that by the number of your bases to see how much money you're saving per turn.

LoD
          I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
          LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
          civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by LoD on 03-14-2000 03:16 AM
            Are you sure you didn't have a more advanced reactor with Domai. That could make your difference.

LoD

Yes, I'm sure. I don't have the tech for a better reactor. I'm not sure that the better reactors give you more movement anyway.

Misotu,

Are you sure that the Cloudbase Academy alows you to build all satelites and halves the cost? I know the space elevator does. Possibly you have them confused.

Reduced maintenance cost is common for a special project and does make a difference once you have a lot of bases, but I doesn't make it a very "special project" and normally I'm not concerned if I don't build reduce maintanence cost SPs.

Ok, I don't remember getting the +2 movement. It's possible that there is some combonation with Cloudbase academy that gives you the +2 movement.

I think the +2 movement is much more significant than the reduction in maintanance cost. That is my point.

[This message has been edited by Adam_Smith (edited March 14, 2000).]

Comment

I seem to get the 2 extra movement points all the time with the CBA, at least ever since I noticed that at some point in my game, without any new reactors, somehow my air units suddenly gained two MPs.

The CBA, Command Nexus, and Cyborg Factory are awesome for an invasion, since not only I can rest my units in the newly-occupied cities, I can also build new elite troops there (only 10 minerals for an elite scout which I can upgrade either for defence or offence!). Buying the Command Center, the Bioenhancement center, and the Aerospace Complexes in the newly-occupied bases is not only expensive it would take several turns, at least, when the course of the battle could be turned.

Comment

I'm not disputing all your findings here but are you sure that this simply isn't an effect of the increased morale to Elite unit status?
                Fusion chopper

11 for normal chasis
                +2 for fusion
                Seems to me what we have here is Elite
                +2 for elite

Or am I off base? (Cloud base that is)

[This message has been edited by Ogie Oglethorpe (edited March 14, 2000).]
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Yes, Ogie, I am sure its not just an elite status change. When I see this happen, I usually have a base 24 move for a needlejet, with the elite prototype having 26. After the CBA it either goes to 26/28 or 28/30 (Can't remember which). The fact that my protype needlejet is almost always elite while the others aren't makes me very aware of their base movements. In most games where I am playing agressively, there usually comes a point when I am eagerly awaiting the CBAs completion so I can reach an enemy base I couldn't without it.

------------------
                  Yours Truly

Comment

I verify the effect of + 2 movement points.

I am playing that game against/with Adam_Smith. It is NOT a reactor or a morale effect. His fission reactor, non-elite (though those are few, at this point ) aircraft of all type have 2 more movement points than normal. So do the elite ones, for that matter.

I suspect that the SP effects were modeled on the Maritime. Intentionally done and undocumented, or unintentionally resulting from that modeling (or copying ) I know not.

Comment

Ogie,

It's 10 for normal

+2 for fussion
                      +1 for elite
                      and supposedly +2 for CBA

Comment

Adam Et al.

Thanks for the corection, shows me I should actually be doing real work at work and not posting commentary on SMAC or SMACX relying on obviously faulty memory. (You know the story you hate your job and this certainly passes the time ).

That being said just one more reason why CBA is one of the favorites around here.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

AS: The Cloudbase Academy rules for precisely the reason you specified. It gives a movement bonus to ALL aircraft regardless of faction. This has nothing to do with being Domai. I believe the bonus is +2 movement for Needlejets as well, which would imply a generic +2 move to all aircraft. I have seen this bonus with both Alien factions and Lal, which were my last three games. I'm not sure, but I think that it existed in SMACX v1.

Comment

I have never identified CBA giving a movement bonus; it may be the extra movement point from having elite units. I'd rather take the -ve morale SE effects for stronger tech and economy and thus have to use experience to get elite units.

Nor does CBA half the cost of orbital improvements.
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Provost Harrison,

Thank you for the post. I never got movement bonus for it either with Miriam. I'm just starting to play the drones more. I take it you play the UoP. The question really is that does Domai get the movement bonus. I asure you it is not just elite bonus as I have pointed out above. You can't get 15 movement points with out nanocells. Unless of course you get bonus from CBA

Comment

Working...
                              X