Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help w. Scenario Editing

Need an assist here, guys.

I just started messing around with creating my own scenario. I was really fumbling and stumbling trying to create map features, etc. Is there a guide out there that could walk me through the basics? I do not have the guide that comes with SMAC (got the CD from a friend), so that's no help. If you can give me some pointers on the basics, I'd be grateful.

SJ

Here are a few things that threw me in a loop at first:

If you have selected a terrain feature (take elevation), left clicking adds one (or cycles one, like for rockiness), and right clicking removes one (or cycles once in the other direction).

Holding down shift and clicking and dragging paints (that command is on the tool bar, in case I'm wrong), but on my computer that takes a while to catch up with where I have moved the mouse, so it might be slow going.

Double clicking (left or right), makes the effect larger. For example, when adding fungus, left click once for one square, twice for 9 squares (centered on the click), three times for 25 squares, etc.

Try looking at the map editor commands on the tool bar, and the scenario editor commands. All it really takes is a little playing around, and you should have it. Also, check if you are in edit only mode (only allows map edits, no scenario edits).

The last thing is: SAVE FREQUENTLY. Figure out what relatively small change you want to make (say where to place special resources), make the changes, then save. The scenario editor has a tendancy to crash frequently.

Comment

The terrain editor is the one factor in this game that SUCKS big time!
      I would so much like to see a new version of this editor, maybe like they did in Heroes of Might&Magic III. There the editor is a standalone application that can be launched without launching the game.
      AND it it userfriendly......

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Okay, here's my prob right now: By fiddling around I've figured out how to edit the map and edit bases. Problem is that I can't get it to switch factions--no matter what I do it wants to just give me Gaian units. ~:- /

What I want to do is to create a scenario where all the AI factions get a leg up--larger, better starting HQs--in order to make the game more challenging. Can't do that if the scenario editor only lets me create Gain bases, can I? Help me, please.

Comment

In the "Create Unit" window, click on the "Player" tab at the bottom. Select the desired faction and press OK. If you just want to fix your choice, right-click on a unit and select "Edit Unit". Then click on the "Player" tab.

LoD
          I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
          LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
          civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

I have a question to the gurus of SMAC Ive used the Editor a few times with unpleasent results (think my comp is to slow) but I cant seem to be able to place a base(units Np base cant find it).

Also Im more fond of altering alredy made stuff then making one from scratch.

Thanx.

Comment

Working...
            X