What's the first important task for the former

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the first important task for the former

I've been reading Vel's strategy guide again. He suggested that in early game the first thing the former needs to do is aiding growth. That means build a farm, build road to new base site and build a sensor array on new base site. (If you've already got a square that produces 2 or more nut, then you don't need to do the farm.) In his list, Optomizing special resource squares and Terraforming to boost mineral outputs come only after the roads and sensors.

Did I understand this right? Does everyone agree that it is more important to build roads and sensor arrays?
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

I for the most part agree. The most important first thing a former is to do is make a +2 nut square.

If already in existance.

Then road.

Senosrs for me are a last build option that happen primarily only at the outlying bases.
    Then forest.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The classical answer on those questions is always:

"It depends." (tm MoSe)
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I almost always build a forest FIRST, if only because that increases the likleyhood there will be mopre free enhancments to the terrain (forsts grow).

Then again i deal mostly with a faction with a good growth rating (hive) so i rerly build farms unless theyre on good soil

Comment

Roading out to base sites is most critical, it builds turn-advantage, pure and simple. As to the importance of 2-nut squares, it depends on your faction and expansion strategy. Certainly if you've got a bad growth or good industry value, obviously your population growth can delay expansion, in which case, by all means, get your nut production in line. Playing Morgan, on the other hand, you'll be rush-building tanks for additional nuts, making the 2-nut square superfluous. Also, placing a sensor beneath your base is always good if you can manage it, but don't delay founding a base just to accomodate the time it will take to build the sensor. The turns your pod stays idle are wasted FOPs, and holding up your growth for improved defensive potential is planning to fail.

Remember, the goal of the early game is to be the guy who gets the most bases planted the fastest, so focus all your efforts on achieving that goal.

Comment

This is slightly off topic but I was thinking along the line. Suppose you have a very good base site say 8 squares away. And you have a ok base site but is too close to you, say 2 squares away, will you choose to build a base close and then expand to the next site, or will you build roads and go to the good site directly?

A kind of related question, will you choose build bases close to each other for the turn advantage, or will you choose build bases farther away to expand your territory and fill the empty spaces later?
            Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

My first improvement will always be : whatever will most reduce the amount of time before the next colony pod builds a base.

That simple. That complex.

Comment

HongHu - the only time I will not set up a base ASAP (aka turn advantage) is if I have to claim territory from a rival. Even then it is a risk since while you spend lots of time in transit you could be hosed when The Inhuman Hive or the Granola Munching Tree Hugging EcoWeenies grab that territory instead.

I also favor fairly dense base setup for all the reasons Vel outlined. I am a True Disciple Of The Vel.

Comment

Ok, most sensible answers given, I can add something more urgent:
                  Stumbling over a dimensional rift which duplicates the former. You never have enough former time, and this gives you another one which doesn't need support!
                  Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

So you're suggesting to start popping pods with your formers? I don't know, generally I consider that a dangerous use of precious former time. Besides, early on, I'd rather have a free unit to help with defense and police, and use the extra support to _build_ another former.

Comment

Did I ever say this was a serious reply?
                      Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Oh, I see. Sorry, I didn't explain before, but I'm immune to sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                        X