A Strategy for the New Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Strategy for the New Century

Now that we have entered the 23rd century, and have gotten partway towards assimilating the former Morgan bases into the Federation, we need a clear strategy going forward.

Broadly, I sense the concensus is to tackle the gaians next, before they get impossibly strong, and leave the Angels/Hive as "mop-up" operations (although the Angels seem to be holding their own against the Hive)

These last 2 years have been consolidation years - building the police units in the captured bases, while generally building cpeeder supply crawlers for MM'ing infrastructure in former PK and University bases. We need now to have some clearer definition of what we are trying to accomplish.

Some thoughts:

Laconia:

As our heartland (and furthest from the enemy) this should be the site of Special Projects. And while waiting for the techs, I suggest that we make those bases impregnable (elite silksteel AAA ECM garrisons for now, upgradeable to Neutronium armored when necessary). Focus on infrastructure that supports production of crawlers, such as genejack factories, etc, as well as satellite production in bases that currently have aerospaces.

Terrapeso

Continent is ripe for growth of all bases to size 16. After maxxing police forces (a priority both for drone control as well as freeing our chaos amphirovers for boarding the trannies for deployment to the Gaian theater) we should concentrate on facilties that sustain growth. This might mean speeder supply crawler produciton in most, for MM'ing, rather than raw building of the bricks and mortar

Northern Arcadia

As our research hub, focus on getting all 4 bases to size 16 (Arcadia University, Fort Superiority, Ironholm and Argos), all with all the reserach enhancers. Boreholes for the mineral/energy boost, a maritime energy farm for Arcadia University, and possibly a land one for Ironholm.

Prolly means a few more seaformers for AU and Argos, and crawlers/formers for Ironholm and Fort Soup

Southern Arcadia

Here we need to tread carefully. As the Gaian invasion - and ultimately the Angels' mop-up operation - will be launched from here, I suggest that we don't spend too much on infrastructure other than defense (aerospaces). Indeed, the Gaians might take the battle to the Federation on this soil. ARC is emerging as an industrial powerhouse, and we should encourage this, to generate a supply of fresh units. Other larger bases can perhaps keep the air force replenished.

Timetable

It will take a few more turns until we get those drop rover probes into position to visit Gaialand, and a few more before our cruiser transports loaded with amphirovers are in postion to strike

We are a handful of turns as well away from getting the Cloning Vats, with their pop-booming potential - we need to ensure that the conditions (police and facilities)in those smaller bases are ripe for expansion.

Thus from now - 2202 to, say, 2208, we look to be in a bit of a "phoney war" situation. During this time the Gaians may attack opportunistically, or may even try a full-fledged invasion of southern Arcadia.

Do we start some pinprick operations (bombing runs with B-8's supported by F-8's) from 3 Nuts Crag to any bases within reach?

Or do we just patrol our shores with aircraft until we are ready to mount the invasion?

Good initiative Googlie

I think some harassment of Gaia is a good idea. If for no other reason than to explore where they are militarily. However I think we should wait with any aggression until we have drop troops that can move in and infiltrate any newly cleared cities.

I don't know if it's legal, but maybe our new former Morgan friends can help us with some tactical information about the nature of the Gaian military status? Do they have plenty of fusion AAA units? Four probe teams in every base?

Comment

After researching Biomachinery, I'd like to see us tackle Monopoles (and run a magtube down the spine of Arcadia) and UFT (for the ToE at Arcadia University) and then Organic Superlubes and Adv Spaceflight (for Shard weapons)

Both the Angels and Gaians are currently researching MMI, engaged no doubt in a technology leapfrog

Comment

Originally posted by Snoddasmannen
        I think some harassment of Gaia is a good idea.
        Once infilitrated, yes. Not before.
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44

Once infilitrated, yes. Not before.
          I don't think you read my post closely enough Modo, I said roughly the same thing in the next sentence. I'm only pointing this out since this puts us in the unnatural state of agreeing on something Well actually perhaps the statements are different enough to be in disagreement

To clarify: I think the first turn of harassment should be a decent air attack on a base coupled with drop troops inflitrating the same turn.

Comment

I haven't downloaded a turn for many weeks but, due to the bug and the holidays, things haven't much changed.

I vote for "Infiltration first!" too.

As for harasssment, will it be something useful? That term reminds me of Operation Rolling Thunder (1965), a total waste! If we strike, better use concentration of force and strike hard at any target of choice (with chemical weapons while we can).
            So, I see us erasing one base/turn starting after the infiltration turn (how long does it remains of sunspot years anyway?), or at least emptying it then capturing it with some super-drop-AAA-sentinel (the H-S Algorithm forcing them to send banzaï charges to retake the city: that's what I call harassment! ). That would need mass production of aircraft, of course.

Are we able to strike at their cities from ours or do we need a sea-city as advandced airbase (my pet project)?
            From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

I think we can move from land bases easy enough. A sea base would pose an additional liability in case of any preemptive strikes by the Gaians.

I'm only pointing this out since this puts us in the unnatural state of agreeing on something
              The world clearly comes to an end. Do you know where your tin hat is?

Well actually perhaps the statements are different enough to be in disagreement

To clarify: I think the first turn of harassment should be a decent air attack on a base coupled with drop troops inflitrating the same turn.
              Yeah, I think that can work. As long as the probes move first, of course.

Comment

I mostly agree with Googlie's analysis. As I see it, our most important considerations for this next phase should be:

1. Protect the HSA at all costs.

2. Infiltrate the Gaians.

3. Prepare for massive pop-booming.

4. Build the cloning vats.

After that, we can re-assess the situation.

As far as strategic production goes, I mostly agree with Googlie, although I'd put slightly more emphasis on military production. As I see it:
                • Laconia, in general, can focus on infrastructure. The only exception is that southern Laconia (near TwoNuts Strand) needs a sizable force with some air units that would be able to repel a modest Gaian attack and/or thwart any Gaian attempts to establish a sea base within planet-buster range of Olympus Academy and the HSA.
                • Terrapeso (formerly Morgania) needs a token force to stay behind--maybe 2 aircraft and a mobile infantry or something. It will be difficult to quickly re-inforce that continent if it is ever seriously attacked. Yang is also nearby. Otherwise, Terrapeso can focus on infrastructure.
                • Southern Arcadia needs a lot of reinforcement. Everything south of Tegea Harbor should be in full-time war mode during this next phase, it seems to me. We can still build infrastructure in Northern Arcadia. Southern Arcadia needs at least 5 aircraft, 3 rovers, a couple of mobile infantry or something, and a few tough AAA defenders, in addition to some well-placed aerospace complexes.
                Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Since we might have some use for defenders, would it perhaps make sense to (finally) prototype better armor? Can we do that, or is it the only thing that allows us to do that rushing magic thing?

Comment

No - we can prototype the silksteel, and still use the missile chassis for MM'ing stuff

Comment

Of course we still have to research Silksteel Alloys (which leads to Monopole Magnets - and Photon Wave - anyway). We do have plasma prototyped (and have 9 plasma armored units already deployed, plus 3res on two of our transports)

Some further thoughts:

As the Gaians are strengthening, do we want to prepare our infrastructure for a long war? That might include land bridging our 3 continents at the north, magtube linked

Building an energy park to support Arcadi University's research

Setting up Vijay or Defiance Freehold as a secondary research center with an energy farm in the Geothermal Shallows plus those 3 sea energy specials

Comment

Wow, those projects do seem like fun. (I am just finishing a good read of "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson -- it is in tune with what you are suggesting.)

But, unless our Formers and whatnot have nothing better to do, I would wait until we have the Gaians infiltrated. After all, Morgan was big too when we raided them the first time -- at least judging by the numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                          As the Gaians are strengthening, do we want to prepare our infrastructure for a long war? That might include land bridging our 3 continents at the north, magtube linked

Building an energy park to support Arcadi University's research

Setting up Vijay or Defiance Freehold as a secondary research center with an energy farm in the Geothermal Shallows plus those 3 sea energy specials
                          For those, you've got the green light from the Ministry of Infrastructure. I think we've got enough credit/turn now to build a few formers more.

I am just finishing a good read of "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson
                          Congratulations, Man!
                          Now, go to www.marssociety.org
                          and
                          From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

Hmmm, Yang is bumping up against us just a little too much for my liking in southern Laconia. Stealing that borehole territory by Minas Tirith really was frustrating. He's also got at least 3 units marching towards Fort Gateway in Terrapeso. Yang may decide to attack us within the next few turns, even without provocation. I think we should at least prepare a contingency plan for that possibility.

I would even consider launching a surprise attack on Yang to take the three bases in southern Laconia. If Yang keeps on marching his units towards Fort Gateway and Terrapeso, then I would assume that he means war and act accordingly. I think if we could destroy Yang's units approaching Terrapeso and achieve a quick victory in southern Laconia, he would be ready to sue for peace once again. We'd naturally accept an even agreement.

The only downside of this is that it weakens Yang and his attacks on the Data Angels (although he doesn't seem to be doing much anyways. The dolt has a plethora of offensive units he could use to easily take back Communal Nexus, but he isn't budging).

This is the contingency plan:

We have some forces in Terrapeso (Port Vander, out at sea already, and elsewhere) that are scheduled to sail southeast to Gaialand and participate in the infiltration project there, no? Well, if push comes to shove, as those forces are sailing past the Straits of Laconia and the Hiverian Straits, we could decide to send those forces on a quick, one-turn detour into southern Laconia to quickly capture the following bases:
                            • Hole of Aspiration
                            • Laborer's Throng
                            • Factory Maze

We'd also have some offensive aircraft around that could help out, I'm sure.

A penetrator could take out the defender in Factory Maze. Using the force assembled in Port Vander right now, plus perhaps that AAA plasma defender in Scorpi Alpine Command, we could assault Hole of Aspiration with one of our amphibious chaos rovers and capture it. The transport would dock briefly in Hole of Aspiration. Another unit would capture the emptied Factory Maze. The other chaos rover could take out the defender at Laborer's Throng, perhaps assisted by an offensive aircraft or the MI6. Some nearby tacticals could swoop in to provide defense of these newly captured cities. (Edit: we'd want to send the AAA plasma garrison to Laborer's Throng, considering that city is within penetrator range of the Gaians.) But to reiterate: this is just a contingency plan, in case Yang gets any crazy ideas about attacking us.

One other question: Do we have any plans for those missile infantry units in Red Fungus Resort and Hindenburg Rock? Do we intend to keep them in Terrapeso for police and defensive duty (against Yang, if need be?) Do we intend to use them in any offensive actions? It seems like the missile marines should at least see some offensive action. Sure, they aren't very strong, but they could at least do a nice job of softening up a defender. As it is they are just sitting there and wasting minerals on support. I nominate those missile marines as possible candidates for any future actions against the Hive.

Edit: Another detail of minor interest I noticed: we could just barely reach and attack Communal Nexus from Hole of Aspiration with an elite penetrator, allowing Yang to "liberate" that city from the Data Angels.

Edit: Also of minor interest, Yang is building a chaos cruiser in Fellowship City. It is possible that unit could get in our way as we try to sail through the Hiverian straits. We must be prepared to respond appropriately.
                            Last edited by Zeiter; January 21, 2006, 01:04.
                            Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Perhaps if we switch to Green and then the next turn Police State Yang won't want to attack us? We should get the Cloning Vats soon anyway, so it doesn't matter much if we stop popbooming these next couple turns.

Switching green would also allow us to set labs production at 100% for getting to Biomachinery perhaps even faster.
                              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                              X