Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to former Morganites

The game is basically over, so I guess I can ask:

Why the hell didn't everyone ally against us a looooooooong time ago????

I mean, we Sparta only overtook the Morganites in economic size some 15 years ago IIRC, when we were popbooming. If the three of you (Morgan, Gaia, Angels) formed a single front decades ago and posed an ultimatum that an attack on anyone would be considered an attack on all three human players, and actually meant it, it would have been a deathwish for Sparta to attack eg the Peacekeepers or Angels.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Interesting question.

For me, I can only guess. 2196 was the first turn I saw for a long time (probably 60-70 turns) but from that one turn, it was obvious to me that Sparta had more or less won the game, and that the current Morganite strategy had doomed us to be attacked within 10 years. Had I been able to play from 2180 or earlier, perhaps the game might have been different. AndiD has good building insticts, but his defense is perhaps a little weaker.

I guess a large part of the lack of a united front, is the lack of players! Morgan has, at most, 2 people posting on a turn thread, including the original poster. I can't imagine Gaia being busier than that, and Angels probably not by much. With so few people, it becomes like a PBEM, but with the added difficulties of not knowing quite who to talk to on the other teams about diplomacy.

From what I can see of the Sparta forum, this isn't the case. You seem to have a much more active state, which helps in diplomacy greatly.

Plus, even supposing that the Angels and Gaia see the attack on morgan as "the final straw" and attack you together, I would see that as utterly futile. This game is all over bar the shouting.

On a related note, I apologise for the bumping of old threads. This is likely to happen a lot
    Play hangman.

Comment

I was kind of suspecting that this was the explanation, though I was hoping it wasn't.

I have another question And I'm sure I will have more ...

When you read my posting in the general forum about Golden Dawn, before revealing what it was all about, what was your reaction?

Also, what was the reaction in your team when you detected our strike force in our first attack? We really blew it there, allowing you to detect us. We were poised to take out both the PTS and the HGP, had you not detected us. It was only through a break-neck effort that we managed to take out the PTS at all, we were very close to just going home.

Comment

I'll have to recheck the old threads and get back to you... it's been a while!
        Play hangman.

Comment

To Maniac's question:

Andid did notice this problem, and we sent proposals for a united front to the others. First for a real military pact, when that was rejected, we tried to set up some tech-leapfrogging, but that didn't go through either. Apart from the lack of diplomacy answers (probably due to Apolyton's less-than-optimal PM notification system), I guess the others figured themselves "safe" and hoped for a Morgan-Sparta war to keep both of us busy.
          no sig

Comment

Originally posted by Snoddasmannen
            When you read my posting in the general forum about Golden Dawn, before revealing what it was all about, what was your reaction?
            What took you so long?

No seriously, I wasn't surprised, as I'd expected it for as long as I'd been playing the turns in the 90's. "Meh" perhaps.

Also, what was the reaction in your team when you detected our strike force in our first attack? We really blew it there, allowing you to detect us. We were poised to take out both the PTS and the HGP, had you not detected us. It was only through a break-neck effort that we managed to take out the PTS at all, we were very close to just going home.
            General Panic it seemed, although Mead coped very well, and if he were a Spartan, should have been given a promotion and a medal. I think he did everything possible to stop you from taking our bases. A valiant effort.

What I can't understand is the almost immediate reinstatement of the treaty. Madness!
            Play hangman.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaunk
              What I can't understand is the almost immediate reinstatement of the treaty. Madness!
              On who's part?
              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Morgans. If this were a PBEM, and someone did that to me, we'd be in a permanent state of vendetta until they wiped me out my vengance came, swift and hard.
                Play hangman.

Comment

The fact that you even paid us military reparations in the form of 300 or so ec was pretty interesting to me

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
                    Andid did notice this problem, and we sent proposals for a united front to the others. First for a real military pact, when that was rejected, we tried to set up some tech-leapfrogging, but that didn't go through either. Apart from the lack of diplomacy answers (probably due to Apolyton's less-than-optimal PM notification system), I guess the others figured themselves "safe" and hoped for a Morgan-Sparta war to keep both of us busy.
                    When did they reject a military pact? I could understand this attitude after the PTS raid, but not after we invaded the Peacekeepers and certainly not the Angels.
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                    X