Administrative poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Modo44
    If you guys could make them more complete (perhaps zoomed-out a notch?), that would be great, and the map thread could go.
    One of the problems with displayed screenies is the 799 width limit. Over that and it has to be an upload (which is no problem as I think I still have 30 MB of my 50 allocation free - but it's just more of a hassle)

This means that zoomed in pics prolly would need 4 to cover our homeland versus the usual one, but I'll try to do a better job of updating the annual ones. I just got into the habit of upgrading them only when new territory had been incovered

Comment

You can do normal attachments in the private forums. I didn't even know this was an issue before - they are available ever since I joined Apolyton. That's one speed-up.

No, I don't work for those people, but I think you should really try IrfanView. I play a bunch of succession games (Civ3), usually making something like 5 screenies for each of my periods. This takes 5 minutes tops.

Basic instructions, so you don't have to look for keyboard shortcuts: Zoom out to take the whole are you want visible. Hit "Print Screen". Alt+Tab to IrfanView. CTRL+v. To resize the picture you can hir CTRL+r - this will allow you to enter the desired resolution; make sure to use the slowest resample filter. Or, you can just drag a box around the area you want left (the size of the box will be shown in the top bar), and then hot CTRL+y. Now his "s" to save the file. Don't zoom out too far, because it loses many details.

You should be able to take a single picture of the whole Spartan home, which seems to be the most important one. Another one of the current invasion, two of the domestics (units, bases), and that should wrap it up, I think.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

You can do normal attachments in the private forums. I didn't even know this was an issue before - they are available ever since I joined Apolyton. That's one speed-up.
        Yes, I know. That's what most of the screenies I post are (normal attachments)

But what i'm saying is, they can't be more than 799 pixels wide.

Anything larger and one must go the upload/display img route (which is how the topped current map thread is diaplayed, as these are much larger than the 799 pixels width)

I use a combo of Microsoft Photo Editor and MS Paint - editor works exactly as you describe the other program, and paint is useful for adding routes, etc etc. Saving to paint initially distorts the graphics a little, which is why I like the PhotoEditor route (plus the define/copy/paste is really easy to use, as apparently it is with IrFanView as well)

Comment

Current maps now updated to 2153

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
            Current maps now updated to 2153
            Brilliant!

Comment

I tried yesterday to make an updated Unit Inventory picture with IrfanView.
              However when I made a screenshot of the second half of the F7 nexus list, made a selection and wanted to paste it on the screenshot containing the first half of the F7 Nexus, the selection simply replaced the first-half screenshot, instead of allowing me to drag the selection to where I wanted it to be on the first-half screenshot.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible to paste part of one picture on another picture, using IrfanView?
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

You need to drag a selection before you paste something new. It will appear inside the box, scaled to fit into it (not very useful). Or, you can save multiple images, and combine them into one with a Panorama image (in the "Image" menu of IrfanView). Copy+paste edits are not easy to do with IrfanView. It's a viewer after all.

I use GIMP for more advanced edits, although it could be considered overkill.
                Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I'm using Microsoft Photo Editor for capturing the basic screenshots (printscreen and paste) Selections of parts/all of screenies can then be copied and pasted to other screens

Then after saving, I open with MS Paint (on my desktop) or Ultimate Paint (my laptop) for color/text additions

Attachments to posts are restricted to a 799 pixels width - anything larger needs to go the file upload route with display via the < .. img> route

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                    I'm using Microsoft Photo Editor for capturing the basic screenshots (printscreen and paste)
                    Unfortunately that doesn't work for me, as I don't have Photo Editor.

I use GIMP
                    Thanks, I'll look into it.
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                    X