No announcement yet.

"Planet: A Survivalist's Guide": Comments and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering whether our faction should (be allowed to) use them in this ACDG. But of course other factions don't need to know about whatever is decided here: these are possible future Spartan tactics posted in the privacy of this forum.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Ah. I think that we should get and use any benefit possible from the factional advantage, if that benefit has not been clearly banned in the rules agreed upon before the game started.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Holy ****!

I didn't know about the 'delete unit' trick in the DW.
        (Where did you learn that?)

And the free prototyping that sparta gets has always been useless with the advent of supply crawler cash-ins. (Sparta is a really tough faction to play against experienced players, you all know this.)
        This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
          Btw, why don't you contact Ogie Oglethorpe and ask if he's interested again in participating in this ACDG? As you can see he's a Spartan member, but he never posted here: only several times in our recruitment thread before the ACDG was fully set up. But perhaps if he knows you're now a Spartan too, he could return.
          While looking for something else, I came across this...

I tried contacting him here. Twice in fact. No go...

I'll try him through CGN, but I don't see him posting there anymore either...
          This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
            Ah. I think that we should get and use any benefit possible from the factional advantage, if that benefit has not been clearly banned in the rules agreed upon before the game started.
            Ok, I can live with that.
            I guess the biggest consequences if these tricks would be used, would be:

1) The importance of the SE Industry factor decreases somewhat, as SE Industry makes no difference in cost when upgrading crawlers. I guess that's actually a good thing for gameplay balance, as currently eg Wealth and Eudaimonic are pretty much no-brainer SE choices, while Knowledge and especially Power (-2 Ind ) are chosen much less. Also it could weaken the powerful Drones a little, while strengthening the Cult and Spartans.

2) The absolute importance of energy in the mid-game decreases a little in favour of minerals, as crawlers are also a lucrative and flexible way of hurrying just like hurrying with credits.

Originally posted by KrysiasKrusader
            I didn't know about the 'delete unit' trick in the DW.
            (Where did you learn that?)
            I don't know. I think I accidentally stumbled on the fact, that minerals survive the deletion of a unit design, a long time ago. It's only a couple of months ago though, when the Spartan faction was being organized and I was contemplating the Spartan inability to build Skunkworks, that I put together the different pieces and realized the potential usefulness of "skunkworks" and "delete-unit-design" hurry methods.

While looking for something else, I came across this...

I tried contacting him here. Twice in fact. No go...

I'll try him through CGN, but I don't see him posting there anymore either...
            IIRC he's often seen on Off Topic though, so if he doesn't reply to your PMs, could he be consciously ignoring them?

Comment

I don't know. I think I accidentally stumbled on the fact, that minerals survive the deletion of a unit design, a long time ago. It's only a couple of months ago though, when the Spartan faction was being organized and I was contemplating the Spartan inability to build Skunkworks, that I put together the different pieces and realized the potential usefulness of "skunkworks" and "delete-unit-design" hurry methods.
              So then you've tested this fully, I presume? It was no fluke due to a particular instance (SMAC(X) is full of situational bugs)?

IIRC he's often seen on Off Topic though, so if he doesn't reply to your PMs, could he be consciously ignoring them?
              I doubt it. He may just have it turned off, for all I know.

Googlie: You and Ogie, are you buddy's?

Comment

So then you've tested this fully, I presume? It was no fluke due to a particular instance (SMAC(X) is full of situational bugs)?
                I've tested it succesfully once or twice, but not extensively, as I don't play SMAC anymore besides for the ACDG. Why do you ask? Doesn't it work for you?

Comment

Googlie: You and Ogie, are you buddy's?
                  I fired him off a supplicating PM

Comment

I've tested it succesfully once or twice, but not extensively, as I don't play SMAC anymore besides for the ACDG. Why do you ask? Doesn't it work for you?
                    I dunno. Like I said in my other post. This trick is news to me.
                    I've put testing this on my 'list of things to do'. But i'm presently a little behind with what's been happening here. Plus real life. So, I'll let you know "some time" in the futur on my own findings.

Comment

With the Morganic invasion behind us, would you guys be ok with it if I posted my Treatise on Hurrying (with crawler-hurrying mentioned in it) in public?

Comment

Working...
                      X