Two next base locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two next base locations

There have been made a few base location suggestions for our next two CPs. I thought I'd summarize them all in this thread, so we can decide what course to follow.

I had a bit of fun with Paint, and here is a map with the suggestions:

The White Proposal

SC1 CP goes to (63.23) - travel time 2 turns
    SC2 CP goes to (57.21) - travel time 1 turn

SC1 CP Base would produce:
    Base Tile: 2-1-2
    First Worker: 2-1-0 rolling&rainy

SC2 CP Base would produce:
    First Worker: 2-1-1 rolling&rainy&river

Two bases taken together:
    Nutrient Surplus: 4 nuts
    Mineral Production: 4 mins
    Energy Production: 5 energy

One base with ocean access

The Yellow Proposal

SC1 CP goes to (57.21) - travel time 2 turns
    SC2 CP goes to (55.17) - travel time 2 turns

First Worker: 2-1-1 rolling&ainy&river (rrr)

Base Tile: 2-2-2
    First Worker: 2-1-1 rrr or 1-2-1 rolling&moist&river&crater (if we build a former first this could soon be increased to 2-2-1)

Nutrient Surplus: 3-4 nuts
    Mineral Production: 5-6 mins
    Energy Production: 6 energy

One base with ocean access

The Green Proposal

SC1 CP goes to (66.24) - travel time 4 turns
    SC2 CP goes to (53.11) - travel time 3 turns

Base Tile: 2-1-1
    First Worker: 1-1-0 rolling&moist (if we build a former first this could soon be increased to 2-1-0 - but I guess we'd build a gun foil or transport first instead)

First Worker: 2-1-0 rolling & rainy (or 1-2-0 sea mineral)

Nutrient Surplus: 3-4 nuts
    Mineral Production: 4 mins
    Energy Production: 3 energy

Two bases with ocean access

Btw, if we would go with the yellow or green proposal for the SC1 pod, I'd suggest we move the Chiron Knights SW-W next turn and pop that pod west next turn. Because it will take ages before that pod ends up in a base radius.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

White proposal looks faster, but Yellow is better basesites. Green is just silly. I mean SIX turns to get to "Green 3"?

Yellow for me please.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

My vote goes for yellow. Better basesites, expansion in the direction we want, ocean access, only 2 turns of travel time for both, 2 pods in the crater would be ready to pop, I can't find any arguments against it. White is tempting, and it was what I originally had in mind, but now that we find the crater soaked with rainy tiles, we just have to colonize that spot as soon as possible. So my vote goes for yellow.
      Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

I'd vote yellow too - faster pop growth and better research rate. (plus, the CP's from these 2 new bases can move out to the more outlying sites)

Comment

Heh that's easy. A unanimous vote for yellow.

Though with the recent discovery of that nutrient bonus (see map thread or presend save), how about we move the SC2 pod a bit further to (51.17) (the most western of the 9 crater bonus tiles, or in other words the tile SE of the nut bonus) to profit immediately from the nutrients?

(Who knows how many times we'll have to change our expansion plans with the constant exploration happening )

Comment

I'd like to get one in the crater, and one on gunrunners creek. Unless we have information of the hive in a certain direction. Then maybe we could try to prevent them from taking valuable real estate.

Jamski was asking why our cities are so far apart. Are we going to ICS? I'm not big on that, but have no problem doing it.

One city could be one square west and one square NW of Santiago citadel

perhaps the other could be one square NE and one square N of Santiago citadel (depending on the terrain of the unexplored square)

Comment

btw my above post was just my thoughts before reading the thread .

I didn't see the proposals.

Yellow proposal looks good to me.

Comment

Yellow.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Who am I to stand in front of a unanimous decision? That and I happen to agree with you. Yellow.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Jamski was asking why our cities are so far apart. Are we going to ICS? I'm not big on that, but have no problem doing it.

Well, its not so much ICS, but each square further apart the early bases are, is one more turn wasted getting into place. With a road network in place, bigger base spacing can be effective, but I guess we want a fast-startup ready for some massproduction of Impact attackers. That means a nucleus of small bases, close together as fast as possible. The placing of later bases will be determined, I guess, by the factions that originally built them for us.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Yellow is fine with my.
                      and _THEN_ the next base shoud be in Gunrunner' Creek delta.
                      My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                        The placing of later bases will be determined, I guess, by the factions that originally built them for us.

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                          Well, its not so much ICS, but each square further apart the early bases are, is one more turn wasted getting into place.
                          True. That's why the original plan was to found Santiago Citadel two tiles away from Sparta Command. But then we noticed Rio Grande. On our second turn we moved the CP on Rio Grande on the tile now east of SC2. Then on the third turn we first moved the CP 2/3 of a movement point along the river before founding the base. We still got the base on the same turn as we would have if we founded the base right away, but this way they were a little further apart, giving each some more breathing room.

Comment

The placing of later bases will be determined, I guess, by the factions that originally built them for us.
                            Excellent!

Comment

Last edited by Googlie; July 15, 2004, 21:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X