No announcement yet.

Tech Beeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading somewhere that Googlie proposed to offer the Angels a SocPsych<->Gene Splicing deal instead of IndEcon<->Gene Splicing. That would give us the prerequisite for DocLoy, and, one step later, Intellectual Integrity. Googlie consider that tech very useful for the Citizen's Defence Force. On the other side Krysia's Krusader did not consider the CDF so useful.

I can't find anymore where this was originally written, but I'll reply here in the interest of reducing chaos and keeping discussions in the thread where they belong: in this case tech beeline.

Anyway, the reply I wanted to add was that IntInt is also useful for the Spartans for other stuff besides the CDF. Namely non-lethal methods (more useful for the Spartans than for the other factions because of our +1 Police SE) and high morale (to get that last needed morale level for elite units). Besides that it's also a prerequisite for Cyberethics, which leads to Knowledge SE Values. As we can't run Wealth, this is the next best choice for us in peacetime.

That being said, I would equally support going for a Environmental Economics b-line (tree farms & 3+ energy) than for a IntInt b-line.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

If the concensus of the Junta is that the CDF isn't worth poursuing, I'll drop championing it (I'll just say "I told you so" whern the Hive overrun us)

If we decide it's not worth while it'll certainly give us a lot more flexibilty for tech choices after we get Doc Init in 2149/2150 (eg, HEC, which we'll then steal from Lal and get a partially researched next tech after that). It'd mean we don't need to concern ourselves with Doc Loyalty and a possible war with Yang when we're not ready (no perimeter defenses )

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
        If the concensus of the Junta is that the CDF isn't worth poursuing, I'll drop championing it (I'll just say "I told you so" whern the Hive overrun us)
        If this was a normal PBEM I'd tend to agree with KK regarding the importance of CDF.
        But this is a game with a special rule: choppers can't attack bases! This rule has never been tested before, so it's unsure what effects this will have on combat strategy. But I assume it means it will be easier to defend against air attacks by building lots of SAM noodles and choppers. This in turn would make land combat more important I assume, and especially marine invasions on coastal bases (thus the MCC also increases in value). Land combat more important, means CDF more important as far as I can see.

So if we could make a grab for the CDF, I think it could be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

If this was a normal PBEM I'd tend to agree with KK regarding the importance of CDF.
          But this is a game with a special rule: choppers can't attack bases!
          Oh crap! Yea, that's true. I forgat all about that. And I was asking about it before myself, in another thread somewhere...

Perhaps I should re-evaluate my thinking concerning the CDF...
          Gimme a day or two.

This in turn would make land combat more important I assume, and especially marine invasions on coastal bases (thus the MCC also increases in value).
          Here; I'm not convinced about the MCC (yet).

See! That's what's so great about having mpre than one head doing the thinking.
          This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

After all these techs we're about to require, these are the choices we'll have MY 2148 after researching DocIni:
            Attached Files

Comment

I still haven't fathomed out the chart's interpretation.

Does the above indicate that we'll be given just 3 choices (the yellow ones)? - or the 8 orange ones?

Comment

The three yellow choices are the ones we'll get.
                If we'd acquire one more tech, the number in the "mod 3" column would increase by one (with 2 changing to 0).
                The techs that have "0" besides them are not available for choice (except CentEmp in this case, but that's because it's first in the list, and to ensure there's always at least one tech for choice).
                This means if we'd acquire one more tech after DocIni, only PolySoft would be unavailable, while we could pick all the others.

Comment

Dunno if this is the appropriate place, but it's as good as any.

(In business, a few years ago, there was much excitement around the idea of a Corporate "BHAG - Big, Hairy, Aggressive Goal" such as Merck's "Rid the world of disease" or Walmart's "Shopkeepers to the World")

We can articulate a "BHAG" for an Angels - Gaian - Sparta alliance:

The Maniac Manifesto - Fusion Power by 2160

A Joint Venture of the Data Angels - Gaian Union - Spartan Federation factions

This will entail getting the following prerequisite technologies:
                  • Superconductor (currently being researched by The Hive)
                  • Pre-Sentient Algorithhms
                  • Advanced Military Algorithms
                  • Cyberethics
                  • Intellectual Integrity
                  • Optical Computers (Possessed by the Hive)
                  • Adaptive Doctrine
                  • Polymorphic Software (possessed by The Hive)

then
                  • Fusion Power

It would need open and frank co-operation between our 3 factions, with staggered researched leapfrogging, but is attainable

For example, we don't need the Superconductor tech until 2159, so that whoever is researching it - with 1 year to go - can then change to Fusion Power for delivery in 2160. So the Gaians probe it from Yang in 2158 or 59 and then change/pass it to whoever is researching it.

We need to prise (trade for or steal - the Gaians, mainly) Polysoft and Opticals from Yang, so that someone can be researching AdaptDoc, then AMA (and here we may need to do some judicious trading with the Zak/Lal combo - but not if we are at war with either!!)

Meanwhile, following getting Doc Loyalty, we can be going the Int Int - Cyberethics - PSA route, so that PSA can be given to the "Superconductor researcher" just in advance of their being gifted that by the probing Gaians

It could work. But it'd need us to not be jealously hoarding techs (such as our Ethical calculus - needed for Int Int) as well as Sparta trying to "manage" the Uni's research so that we get at least one of our needed techs from them or the PK's

Kass - are you up to (have the time for) protracted negotiations with the other 2 - or should I QB it? (Assuming, of course, that it's the Junta's wish to proceed along those lines)
                  Last edited by Googlie; November 7, 2004, 20:26.

Comment

Working...
                  X