Crawler Hurrying - Need help locating DA post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawler Hurrying - Need help locating DA post

I remember reading a fascinating article about crawler hurrying by a member of the DA faction. The article was linked through the private forum.

The gist of the article was that by giving crawlers very unusual armor/special abilities/reactor(s), it way possible to get very high efficiencies for upgrading SP through the use of ecs. I believe the author got below 1.2 ec/min.

If someone can remember the thread the link was in (it came in backhanded, e.g. "I'm not very good at [something] but I know a lot about crawlers [which was linked]" or remember who among the members of the DA was likely to have this expertise, I'd appreciate it very much if it could be posted here.

Was looking at the discussion thread on Maniac's columns on hurrying. Interesting to see that Maniac concluded that there was a dropped ball on diplomacy, especially in light of reading the infotrader posts and the peace conference thread.

We wanted to remain neutral, but I wonder if we shouldn't have used our influence as a swing faction to threaten other parties that if they didn't take steps to insure parity among the human controlled factions, the other three human controlled factions would gang up on the one that stepped out of line. We missed an alternative when we were choosing whether to support Morgan or remain a peace broker.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Yeah, you're right in your analysis on the diplomatic front. We lost an opportunity there. OTOH, Morgans at that time looked ready to take the game in their pocket with nothing to stop them.

As for the crawler thing: anyone with a little expertise in SMAC knows this feature. It's quite simple actually. Construct basic crawlers, but have a "crawler weapon/best armour+most expensive ability(or two)/fission reactor" chassis prototyped in the workshop. When the time is right to build a secret project, upgrade a few crawlers to this best prototype the turn before you start it (you need to save the energy for upgrading beforehand thus) and then cash them in at the project construction base. Voila, instant (or almost) construction of the project.

You can even calculate the amount of upgraded crawlers (in minerals) you need, and have a best of prototype and a less expensive prototype as to not overbuild the Project, because surplus minerals above 10 for the next production are lost.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

You may have seen a link by me to a post my MariOne?
      if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Kataphraktoi,

Thanks! That was it.

It was a link in your post of 12-12-2005 in the 2191- thread

on page 6.
        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Last edited by Kataphraktoi; March 7, 2006, 08:21.
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
          X