Strategic Datawaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic Datawaves

I picked this up from the AC General Strategy forum when someone asked about how to play the Spartans.

CEO Aaron responded :

Spartans are one of the more challenging factions to play, imo. They do have a great deal of flexibility and their military can be quite potent, but the industry penalty and lack of wealth SE choice makes growth comparatively slow. The key to succeeding is to commit to a strategy which works around those problems.

I prefer to play the Spartans with a Police-centric ICS strategy. Get ahold of Doctrine: Loyalty and switch to police state. With +3 police you spread far beyond the bureaucracy limit without worrying about drone problems, and the extra support will allow an impressive early crawler fleet. These two advantages should allow you to get enough bases to increase your tech and production power to the point where you can compete with the more builder-centric factions.

Sooner or later, you're going to encounter a rival faction. When this happens, don't delay, start immediately planning their demise. The industry penalty means you can't afford to be reactive, you have to control the tempo of any conflict, so make sure you have the initiative. Make judicious use of artillery when taking bases, the damage they inflict on enemy garrisons will help preserve your very difficult to replace troops.

Facility-wise, you want to keep it lean. Rec-tanks, Creches, Commons and Command Centers will be the order of the day. Try and get the Command Nexxus, it will save you money and time and go a long way to ensuring the superiority of your ground troops. Put of building labs until your bases are collecting at _least_ 4 labs base. If you have less and are at a loss for what to build, crawlers, colony pods and garrisons are never a bad way to go.

Tech-wise, stay focused on weapon technology. Air power is your first big tech goal, learn to rely on probe teams and/or tech trade to reach parity in non-military technology. Infiltrate your rivals and watch what they research carefully, and you'll be able to make them complete your research for you.

Just to reflect upon
    Last edited by Hercules; December 13, 2004, 19:00.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Their SE settings can be checked... from the rest of things it looks like they are trying to top the Morgans and to a lesser extenct the Gaians. Appearantly we are not (yet) perceived as a 'thread'.

Probes they have for sure, mil tech as well, they traded as hell sofar to stay in the roulation compared with the Morgans. They seem to follow Aaron's explanation thus.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

For some reason Spartans treat us quite well so far. Maybe they perceive our trading with them as smooth enough. Do they consider Gaians as larger threat? That would seem for me a bit strange. However it can be noticed that Spartans attempt to gain military domination. CN, MCC, CDF. I would like then to see Cyborg Factory in our hands. CF is that much better than CN. Will we be able to get it? It's quite far in the future. In the tread below I started some strategic considerations too.
      Link
      If Spartans will see Morganities as the largest threat, then they may start war with them before they consider hitting us and Gaians. Recently offered by them Ethical Calculus may be a sign of it.
      Mart
      Map creation contest
      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
        Their SE settings can be checked...
        How do you check their SE settings?
        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Right Click on their profile in the factions sub menu. It will give their SE settings but not of course the percentage split between Econ. Psych and Labs. You would need infiltration for that intelligence.

Comment

How do you get to the factions sub menu? I tried every sub menu under "menu" on the left side of the interface: game, HQ, ..., help.

btw, what do these abbreviations mean?
            DL (used in the context of someone being a pretender, spy)
            IIRC (used in the same place IMO or IMHO would be used)
            Last edited by vyeh; January 18, 2006, 18:58.

Comment

I should have said:
              Access the factions on the right hand side Comm Menu.

Click and it will say council but above that it will show the factions. Right click on a faction will give you options one of which is profile.

You can click this to show you the current SE the faction is using.

You can even attempt trade to give you an idea of which of your techs they have: it will say already has, if it has that tech.

But do not offer truce, treaty or pact until you have met the faction in game or have the Empath Guild or acquired their comm from a pod or another player.
              This checking what SE and techs that might have does not breach the no communication before contact rule in Pbems.

Comment

Thanks (really, really appreciate the explanation) and could you answer these two questions:

Originally posted by vyeh
                btw, what do these abbreviations mean?
                DL (used in the context of someone being a pretender, spy)
                IIRC (used in the same place IMO or IMHO would be used)

Comment

Double Login
                  If I Recal Correctly, In My Opinion and In My Humble Opinion.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Yep
                    You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                    There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Thank you. ATM I've read from the beginning through the 2180 discussions (although the very latest turn discussions have been so vague as to suggest a genuine DL worry).

There is still a gap in my historical (and therefore strategic) understanding, but I was thinking how I would combat the Spartan cancer without probe ability.

As the first post in this thread suggested, the Spartans need to control the tempo. Some raiding in their interior might force them to redeploy. If we could put together the force necessary to go after a secondary city (or better yet two forces), we could take a city, sell off any improvements, if any, quick build reinforcements and obliterate it, if they attack, to prevent probing and use the force to go after another city. Continue till they react or we capture enough cities to whittle them down.

While this tactic might not work against an AI, there would be human players who would be irritated. We might irritate them or enough of them to get them to do something stupid. (We could also rename captured cities -- "Spartan's shame", etc.)

Of course, we're committing an atrocity, but we can't defend it and we don't want to leave a city for them to probe ...

Probably wouldn't work, but better than going quietly into the night.

Comment

Spartans have an impressive patrol screen around there main landmass. The few units we had in that general area were destroyed at turn 1 of a Spartan sneak attack.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Thats my thinking vheh but as the Minister of Crawlers and Industrialisation was aprarently off duty the last 100 MY we have not the resources imo for the job. right now we need to PB the HSA before we can move in force.
                          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                          X