Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A SMAC team for the Civ IV about-to-be-set-up Democracy Team game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aye and I have to drop out due to the fact I'll lose access to computer that can run Civ4.
    Promoter of Public Morale
    Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

• I work fine with the 152 and with the AC one dyng want to get in.

Where can not say so could we have an update on what civs are playing and who is in each Civ.
      You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
      There is a reason for everything.

Comment

• Check the civ4 forum then. The Democracy game thread is almost on the bottom of the forum list.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Seems that Snoop is finalizing the teams, etc, so we need to formally annoint ourselves.

I suggest that the Centaurian's team be (alpha list):

Archaic
          binTravkin
          Blake
          Chaos Theory
          dmm1285
          ForesterSOF
          GeoModder
          Googlie
          Hercules
          Impaler[WrG]
          Jamski
          Kataphraktoi
          Lacero
          Maniac
          paramir
          PJayTycy
          Skanky Burns
          Vev
          Zufrix

And that our leaders/mods be binTravkin and Googlie (although if anyone else want's to step to the plate they are welcome - I really am not playing Civ4 much now - for me, all the same disatisfactions as 3, ToT, CtP, RoN, etc gave, It's hard to top SMAC/X in my opinion - or even Civ2)

But I'm happy enough to participate, roleplay, be gatekeeper if necessary, etc (and maybe I'll learn to love the game)
          Last edited by Googlie; December 30, 2005, 21:22.

Comment

• looks fine to me.
            You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
            There is a reason for everything.

Comment

• The forums will be set up in two days. That is enough time to confirm the list.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• I'm still here, it'd be good to get started

Comment

• I don't play Civ4, but I'd join the DG.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• Originally posted by Googlie
                    I really am not playing Civ4 much now - for me, all the same disatisfactions as 3, ToT, CtP, RoN, etc gave
                    What don't you like about it?

Comment

• It just doesn't have that "I must play just one more turn" feel that Civ 2 did, and that AC has to a certain extent.

I dislike how you are forced into war from the early game (too many civs for the map size, whatever map size one uses) - so much so that the infrequent times I do play I use the custom set-up to reduce the # civs - but even then the game setup just places them together, leaving great swathes of land unoccupied (and unreachable until later in the game)

I dislike the minutiae of the early units - the game for me doesn't really take off until riflemen, so that now when I do play I use the "Modern era" start choice.

I guess for some there is a thrill in the chariots versus catapults, but I just find that boring - If I wanted that I could play Age of Empires

And nothing (not even Smac) beats the thrill of Civ-2's full-bore drive to complete a finished spaceship and launching a few turns after the skeleton AI spaceships, to overtake them in the race for Alpha Centauri

Sure, it has some good features - a more robust AI (and some combinations of civs and their units working together are jaw-dropping). The eye-candy is nice, too. I like the inviolability of the borders, and the elimination of the Infinite City Sleaze.

But the test for me is if I hold off hitting "save game" regardless of the time, and Civ4 doesn't have that "pull" on me that a couple of others have. I have no desire to pull an "all-nighter" that I (still) have with Civ2 (and in all fairness, never have with smac or smax either)

Comment

• Originally posted by Googlie
                        And nothing (not even Smac) beats the thrill of Civ-2's full-bore drive to complete a finished spaceship and launching a few turns after the skeleton AI spaceships, to overtake them in the race for Alpha Centauri
                        Ah yes, I have similar memories.

leaving great swathes of land unoccupied (and unreachable until later in the game)
                        Due to the sucky naval aspect I guess?

Anyway, from what I know about Civ4 I tend to agree with you. The game could have potential, but only after extensive modding.

Comment

• For a new SPACDG, may I suggest to use SMAniaC for the novelty value?

Comment

• I want to join this team as well
                            I'll be ever so well behaved unless instructed.

Comment

• You have been approved to the private forums of AC team in C4DG.
                              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                              X