Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A SMAC team for the Civ IV about-to-be-set-up Democracy Team game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might risk 512 RAM for 60 bucks, as I found just now
    but definitely not hard drive. I will buy new system one day instead.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

I will buy new system one day instead.
      That day will be a great day of joy!
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I hold a scrap of paper...

"I hold a scrap of paper in my hand. It is part of the packing material for Civilization 4. I throw it into the trash bin. I look up at the Civ4 box. I cannot shake the feeling that I witness a form of transcendence."

--Commissioner Pravin Lal Gordon Smith, "The Convergence ivness"

Originally posted by binTravkin

This is a fun suggestion.
        For the sake of roleplay, maybe we should adapt this one to our needs.

How about:
        Code:
        Person		Deity		Desc
        -------------------------------------------------------------
        Googlie		Zeus		The Leader Of Deities

Chaos Theory	Ares		The Deity Of War

binTravkin	Hermes		The (Instant) Messenger Deity

Maniac		Poseidon	The Deity Of The Oceans

Illuminatus	Apollo		The Deity Of Intelligence, 
        				patron of many good things.

Hercules	himself		A legendary hero, known for his 
        		(Heracles)	immense physical strenght.

dmm1285		?		Give me a short desc of your
        				RP personality in previous DGs
        				(so to have smth to start with)

GeoModder	Hephaestus	The Deity Of Fire And The Forge
        				(one who sits in
        				his underground Forge, and 
        				hammers the Steel Of Lurk
        				and The Thoughts Of Plot)

Vev		Dionysus	The Deity Of Wine
        				(gets very upset whenever you
        				call him - 
        				'Hey you, old drunkard!')

Jamski		Hades		The Deity Of Death
        				(he who devises all kinds
        				of vile ways how to make 
        				our enemies perish)

Archaic		?		?
        -------------------------------------------------------------
        I am Apollo???

Just a quick note: what about using divine progeny instead of deities? Like Heracles, Theseus, Perseus, Bellerophon, Castor and Polydeuces Lycurgus, Jason, Achilles, Ajax, Agamemnon, Odysseus etc.?

Or perhaps evolving as we advance gods->demigods->noted characters?
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Just a quick note: what about using divine progeny instead of deities? Like Heracles, Theseus, Perseus, Bellerophon, Castor and Polydeuces Lycurgus, Jason, Achilles, Ajax, Agamemnon, Odysseus etc.?

Or perhaps evolving as we advance gods->demigods->noted characters?
          You already see I use a mix of gods and other immortals (Heracles).
          It is meant more to represent their duties, not their character.
          If I dug into heroes/minor deities/spirits deep, I'd get confused by two things - my limited knowledge of SMACer personalities and my limited knowledge of Greek mythology

It is a symbolic and RP-aimed representation of duties and positions.

The evolution thing would somehow disrupt the RP aims because it'd be hard to adapt your RP after becoming something else.
          Also, it wouldn't always work as god positions are limited.
          If someone leaves his position, we better adapt it as a situation where that or other god is not present.

Well, I know, this is kind of first come first serve, but I am trying to be fair and to be fun.

However, it's up to discussion if you feel a need for change.
          I for one think that Hercules fits pretty well where he is and Geomodder does too and to fit other person there would disrupt the scheme.

And if anyone would like to change his 'immortal' name, Im open for suggestions.
          (you don't feel like Apollo Illu? I think it fits you pretty well.. )
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Here's Wikipedia on the 12 Olympians:

• Zeus is the highest ranking and most powerful god, the ruler of Mount Olympus
            • Poseidon, together with Hades is one of the two next most senior gods, controlling the oceans
            • Hades is the second of the next most senior gods, taking care of all souls after they leave the earth
            • Athena is the goddess of wisdom, the arts, inner beauty, education and war
            • Ares is the god of war and heroes
            • Artemis is the goddess of the hunt, animals, fertility and chastity
            • Hephaestus is the god of fire, workmanship, artisans and weaponry
            • Apollo is the god of dance, music, healing and medicine, archery and reason. Apollo's relationships are always flawed.
            • Hermes is the god of guidance, travellers, shepherds, consolation and reunions, and messenger of the Gods.
            • Aphrodite is the goddess of love, committed sexuality, outer beauty and attraction
            • Hera is the consort of Zeus, and the goddess of marriage, sacrifices and fidelity
            • Hestia is the goddess of the home, family and the hearth
            • Demeter is the goddess of the earth, flowers and plants, food, preservation of marriage and agriculture
            • Dionysus is the youngest god of the pantheon, and is the god of agriculture, theater, intoxication, wine and open sexuality

Comment

I was using this one for reference - a bit more comprehensive.

I also did some modifying to deities to better fit situation (see Jamski and GeoModder).

EDIT:
              btw, there are 14 on your list Googlie, of whom Hades and Poseidon are not Olympians.

Comment

Naval power sucks in Civ4 btw, even more than in previous civ games.

Galleys only have TWO freaking movement points.
                I guess Poseidon won't have a lot to do...
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

per Wikipedia --- Lesser Gods (ie, mortals who became gods):

Asclepius was the god of medicine and healing in ancient Greek mythology, according to which he was born a mortal but was given immortality

Pan is the Greek god who watches over shepherds and their flocks

Several names of sea gods conform to a single type: that of Homer's halios geron or Old Man of the Sea:
                  • Nereus,
                  • Proteus,
                  • Glaucus
                  • Phorkys.
                  Each one is a shape-shifter, a prophet, and the father of either radiantly beautiful nymphs or hideous monsters

Comment

Dont worry Maniac, we'll find you some job apart from Nereids..

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

yeah - the galleys are somewhat limiting (and they can only hug coastal waters.

Caravels (but can't carry troops or settlers, only prophets, explorers, scouts, etc) have 3 movement points

Galleons (after discovering Astronomy) have 4, as do frigates (astronomy plus Chemistry)

It gets better after industrialization (altho Ironclads only get 2) as we move into:

Transports and Aircraft Carriers - 5
                      Battleships and Submarines - 6
                      Destroyers - 7

After discovery of refrigeration, all naval units get an extra movement point.

So, Poseidon, hang in there and hope that our Civ reaches the modern era

(you hadn't any plans for 2007 anyway, had you?)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

The most interesting naval units are the caravel, frigate, destroyer and submarine IMHO.
                        And since the galley can only move in coastal waters it's not unreasonable.
                        O yes, and don't forget that the first civ to circumnavigate the globe gets an extra naval movement point.

I started on a small sized map last night (lakes) and got 9 cities before the place got filled up. Other civs (4 extra) hoover between 7-10 as well.
                        So if we want an "continents" (has a nice amount of ocean) map and have a reasonable amount of cities (6 should be the minimum for being able to construct certain wonders/projects) small should be fine I think.
                        Last edited by GeoModder; November 3, 2005, 11:51.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                          If I dug into heroes/minor deities/spirits deep, I'd get confused by two things - my limited knowledge of SMACer personalities and my limited knowledge of Greek mythology
                          My knowledge of Greek mythology is quite good and I need to check wikipedia only for english spelling). I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of wikipedia articles on Greek mythology. It would be of no problem to assist you or even improve this scheme.

Note that your theme seems to be residents of Olympus (Hercules was placed to reside on Olympus after death). Twelve basic gods of hellenic pantheon were not the only residents of Olympus - some gods were servants to the twelve big ones, like Hebe, last wife of Heracles. Hades preferred to stay in underworld while his wife Persephone spent half a year with her mother on Olympus.

Perhaps not Chironians but Olympians?

(you don't feel like Apollo Illu? I think it fits you pretty well.. )

[q=Maniac]I guess Poseidon won't have a lot to do... [/q]
                          The most natural choice for you would be Athens. Do you need a male deity?
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

After discovery of refrigeration, all naval units get an extra movement point.
                            Is that coz of chilled beer? so cruises can last longer?

I have read map generator description on civ fanatics
                            Map Guide
                            I think, that anyway a game Moderator will have to do the setup. Continents map might be the most interesting, though resources would be not spread very well. So human corrections might be needed.
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest
                            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Note that your theme seems to be residents of Olympus (Hercules was placed to reside on Olympus after death). Twelve basic gods of hellenic pantheon were not the only residents of Olympus - some gods were servants to the twelve big ones, like Hebe, last wife of Heracles. Hades preferred to stay in underworld while his wife Persephone spent half a year with her mother on Olympus.
                              Well, you now take things to very serious level.
                              Initially I was not thinking of any borders of belonging (Olymphus/non-Olymphos) whatsoever. My main point is duties and, at a lesser extent, personality of given deity.

I don't think we need to limit ourselves to Olymphos.
                              I already found one of the hundred-armed people monsters very interesting (Braerius or smth like that) and I think we could continue it that way.

The most natural choice for you would be Athens
                              I intentionally avoided the female characters for male persons, to not make them feel offended, but if they choose so, they can adapt female deities as well.

Although, I think Maniac shouldn't change his deity for gameplay reasons.
                              I think he will have plenty of job managing and protecting our seaborne production if not so much in naval combat.
                              He will also be responsible for proper landing and as a brother of Zeus and therefore one of the strongest deities, he should take his part in deciding more global things too..

Comment

And we could let Maniac manage an early circumnavigation effort to gain naval superiority if that +1 movement thing is true..

Comment

Working...
                                X