ACDG History and Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDG History and Timeline

I did a bit of digging tonight to see when and how the AC Democracy Game idea has progressed. It's been quite a while!

5th August, 2002 - Planetfall in the first ever ACDG. Crisler elected as Commissioner of the UN Peacekeepers, representing the Fundamentalists after all the parties split into two camps and each backed a candidate. This was short-lived, however as DeathByTheSword took over the Commissionership in term II and kept it for 3 consecutive terms. He ever returned as the Commissioner (in name at least ) when the game was won. DBTS wrote the first every ACDG constitution, a fact he never let us forget about Others of note were Darkness' Edge, one of the main founders, TKG (now Method), who basically ran all the internal affairs for most of the game, and General Tacticus, who acted as the main Commissioner and turn player for the latter half of the game. ACDGI showed the party structure evolve from a multitude of parties in two great coalitions, to 4 or 5 that constantly vied for elected positions, with PPPP (P4) running most of the show, to 3 competing, well argued but now a little marginalised parties at the end. The CNN (formerly UNN) charts all.

20th April, 2003 - Acting Commissioner General Tacticus is named as Supreme Leader of planet. The Peacekeepers rule Chiron democratically.

13th May, 2003 - ACDGII founded, the first ACDG Team Democracy Game. Googlie takes up the helm as CMN, with 4 teams vying for power - the CyCon, PEACE, PUT, the Hive and the Drones. The CyCon start an early war, taking many of PEACEs bases after some *hardcore* diplomacy. The Hive and Drones form an uneasy (at first) alliance and are the two planetary superpowers. In a bid to stay alive, the CyCon and PUT unite, but are destroyed in a matter of 2 or 3 turns by the Drones and Hive armies.

14th April, 2004 - The Drones and the Hive declare a collective victory, as the CyCon capitulate. Notable happenings during the game include Kody's amazing planned economy and Voltaire's extreme power in the Hive, Tassadar worshipping, Drogue Beta-8 and Mani Alpha-5's vocal disagreements leading the CyCon, and buster leading the Drones from CGN, doing things we couldn't really imagine (3 wonders by 2130? ).

2nd July, 2004 - ACDGIII launched. Another team game, after much discussion, with 4 teams. All team are currently active (no team has ever been eliminated from an ACDG yet) and the game progresses slowly but steadily still. Already the longest ACDG in history. Notable events include the Enigma affair, the Chironian Peace Conference and the fact that it's remained pretty even.

It's remarkable I joined Apolyton on 30th October, 2002, and have never left. Since my first post I've been hooked, having already seemed a little obsessed to my friends a few weeks after joining and since it's become part of my life. Where else would I talk to people from hundreds of different countries? I'm still amazed we all work together and it's still going strong, and look forward to ACDGIV, where we can work as a team and see loads of different play styles, roleplaying and internal politics. Here's to another 3 years of ACDGs
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Very interesting read for a newbie like me, thanks!

Comment

Some small corrections... CyCon wasn't 'terminated' in 2-3 turns (the PUT was) and PEACE did get busted in ACDG II.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

lovely read brings back a lot of fun memories......

and oh yeah one more thing...my constitution rocked ok
        Bunnies!
        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
          and oh yeah one more thing...my constitution rocked ok
          Yeah, and if you don't like it,
          Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
          TYP YOUR OWN F***ING CONSTITUTION

Comment

the memories (even though I joined a few weeks after that was said :$cute: ).
            Smile

Comment

soooo.... how DO you finish 3 wonders by 2130?

even if you start by the boreholes it still takes some time for the mineral restrictions to be lifted. Unless they had a base with 4 mineral patches in its area... thats still only ~30 minerals.

I don't see how its possible
              -=/+\ Wuy3 /+\=-

Comment

Just one word - Buster
                -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Just one word - Buster

QFT
                  Bunnies!
                  Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                  God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                  'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by wuy3

even if you start by the boreholes it still takes some time for the mineral restrictions to be lifted. Unless they had a base with 4 mineral patches in its area... thats still only ~30 minerals.

Leapfrogging to Ind Auto, massive crawler production, mins on rocky (give 7 with mine, no need for restrictions lifting), and some awesome planning. Plus the Drones +2 industry. And yes, buster
                    Smile

Comment

You can also instabuild an SP within one turn not having crawlers. In "Girls Night in" I did it to get Empath Guild. Some of my early Peacekeeper playstyles in singleplayer was getting Centauri Empathy first, what is easier for PK having Biogenetics already. So:
                      1 AA - 50 minerals
                      4 scouts - 4x5 = 20 minerals
                      10 formers - 10X10 = 100 minerals
                      ~ 8 minerals own base production
                      + safety hurrying - 24X4 = 96 energy
                      Total 202 minerals.

It was more or less this way. Now I was playing pretty lazy there. However, imagine that someone uses better strategy, more efficient use of resources and more pod popping:

- more AA
                      - more free minerals from unity pods for instant build of a unit. You make an expensive unit, armor, weapon - abilities. you pop a pod and get this many minerals next turn packed in a unit. Shawnmmcc uses this technique.
                      - more energy from pods, like 75 EC ones. It is 18 minerals in secret project.

And if you are additionally aided by Industrial Automation, it is very possible.
                      Mart
                      Map creation contest
                      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Re: ACDG History and Timeline

Originally posted by Drogue
                        Googlie takes up the helm as CMN, with 4 teams vying for power - the CyCon, PEACE, PUT, the Hive and the Drones.
                        Ah, yes, obviously you haven´t been part of the extensive Hive education program, right? Or was it the constant nerve stapling at the end of the game?
                        Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                        Let me eat your yummy brain!
                        "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

I think the nerve stapling was to prevent any of the citizens or conquered peoples from being able to remember the great strategy....

Comment

Nerve stapling was a requirement, it helped kept the spam in control and prevent rampant sprouting of Haikus. Sadly it that theory did not work so well in practice.

I had very little to do with the turn play.
                            Promoter of Public Morale
                            Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by wuy3

getting about 20 or so artifacts in a row.

Comment

Working...
                              X