Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have received a PM from Flubber:

-- I can offer the 20 energy credits

As for pacting, I set a poll asking people their vote on the idea of pacting with you ( with terms to be negotiated) and the current status is 3 to zero in favor -- Our polls generally only get 6 or 7 votes as our active membership seems to be around 8 or 9 so its looking good

Ambassador Flubber
    We have the Ec, and almost certainly the pact (major hiccup if a the next 4 all voted against). Even though we voted for trading without the Ec, this is a nice bonus

I have PMed him back stating that we accept, and look forward to future co-operation. "After a shakey start, we have built a solif foundation".

Since we have now sorted this out, and have a 4-1 vote for the trade, I will play the turn, and offer them Plan Nets.
    Last edited by Drogue; June 28, 2003, 19:39.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

arty:

Huzzah!

An ally is better than an enemy anyday.

But if they betray us , they shall feel our wrath!

So, whether through trading or research, let's get Doc: Flex... just in case.
      Comrade Corellion, Secretary of Science and Social Engineering for the Human Hive in the Alpha Centauri Police State Game (ACPSG).
      Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
      The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.

Comment

I agree. I will push for trading, but if we don't get it traded in a tech or twos time, we should research it IMHO.
        Smile
        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

See-- things at this point were all positive-- I don't see why anyone brings this trade up as one that was souring relations
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Corellion
            But if they betray us , they shall feel our wrath!
            Could this be a hint?

I don't know for sure. I just know that, when I turned up, I was informed PEACE backstabbed us on a deal.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Could this be a hint?

I don't know for sure. I just know that, when I turned up, I was informed PEACE backstabbed us on a deal.
              I keep hearing that but

1. Deal 1- we gave a tech and cash for a tech -- there was never any backstab

2. Deal 2-- I was away for this one but we were supposed to get cash and tech-- and apparently we drove too hard a bargain or some foolishness-- I say foolishness because PEACE never got the tech promised. There is an allegation that PEACE lied about the source of some techs and tried to hide whom they knew but thats about all we/they did.

3. All later dealings consisted of Cycon lying about who the turnplayer was, whether or not they got emails, whether there were errors in their tech choice etc while PEACE kept gifting stuff in the hope to salvage an alliance agaainst the obvious HIVE/DRone alliance.

In retrospect I don't see that we were that hard to deal with. Trades with the Hive and university were accomplished easily. Deals with the cycons came in only two flavors

a) a deal where we gave a tech and cash for a tech
              b) deals where the cycon reneged on their promises
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Interesting... we didn't do any reneging that I could tell of from when I joined, which was as the battle preparations were being drawn up.
                Consul.

Comment

Well well. Looks less and less like an actual backstab and more that the PEACE Diplomat of the time was going to be too much of a c*nt to deal with.

This is a very telling exchange - I couldn't bump it as the thread is closed.

Looks like we have, above all else, the short temper of one johndmuller to blame for the whole business.

Flubber, other PEACE members - let me know what you think of it.
                  Consul.

Comment

We supported JDM and all ambassadors in being tough, pirate-like, whatever. He was probably our most "into it" roleplayer, he seemed to relish the role of a salty seadog. In hindsight, his tone was a miscalculation. I do believe however that the frustration had already accumulated and the distrust incubated, and that had relations been better at that point this would have blown over and been mostly forgotten. But your own team members will be better able to answer that.
                    Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                      Well well. Looks less and less like an actual backstab and more that the PEACE Diplomat of the time was going to be too much of a c*nt to deal with.

This is a very telling exchange - I couldn't bump it as the thread is closed.

Looks like we have, above all else, the short temper of one johndmuller to blame for the whole business.

Flubber, other PEACE members - let me know what you think of it.

I read that for the first time a couple of days ago in the thread you reference. That occurred during my 3 week vacation last August so I wasn't party to what was going on at the time. I only knew that there was some bitterness but that a deal had been achieved. Later I heard snippets about that communication but frankly didn't spend much time thinking about it and never really looked into it.

It is an odd communication and I understand that Johnd says it was all a joke. I will say that johnd does seem to have a temper and exhibited it a few times

As for this souring the relationship, it definitely didn't help but reading your forums was instructive since there was a good proportion of folks that wanted to war on us since they perceived our not trading doc flex as hostile. Also a few of the cycon leaders discussed with approval the idea of saying we had a deal for plan nets so we would choose another research path and then you could say the deal wasn't approved and then demand a higher price for that tech. When you consider this was very very early before any other crap, I would to say that the cycon were predisposed to backstab PEACE ( largely due to their belief in a HIve alliance)

So I think that blaming johnd or Peace bargaining tactics is a nice distraction. The tone of the Cycon forum was often along the lines of "how can we screw them" while PEACE discussions were along the lines of " we don't trust them but lets try to work on making them an ally". Read the forums-- I'm slowly making my way through them and its a hoot to relive some of it

Comment

I find it funny how some of you pirates constantly downplay your own lies and attitude and blow up the CyCon lies. Is it so hard to admit to yourself that both sides have responsibility in the affair and that you aren't entirely innocent, instead of throwing ALL the blame at the CyCon's feet?
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Yup it is hard-- in fact impossible

Is it so hard for the cycon to admit that they carried on a plan of deception for years and years??

Comment

Where have you seen me denying it (after the game was finished)?
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Temper, temper
                              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Easy fellers, the games over... lets just let it die, and by gones be by gones eh?
                                Play hangman.

Comment

Working...
                                X