No announcement yet.

The Science Monitor, Editor's Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fact, I'd consider the use of the paper for public misinformation...
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: How much information do we want to share?

Originally posted by AdamTG02

Fair enough. I'm not trying to argue, here, that what you posted in the second issue revealed too much. I'm simply pointing out that it could be headed in that direction, and that I'd welcome a debate on the subject of how much information we ought to be revealing.
      Yes, that is definitely something we should be discussing.

I'd be wary of adopting any such restrictions, however, before GeneralTacticus has weighed in. He bears most of the responsibility for the newspaper, and thus is the most affected by any restrictions. GT, do you think this proposal strikes a good balance, or is it overly restrictive? If overly restrictive, what would you suggest as an alternative?
      It basically just makes 'official' what I was doing already; I was very careful to avoid mentioing anything about our future plans at all. While it could probably be deduced that we're going for SoftHB, the others probably didn't need anyone to tell them that...

For that matter, what does everyone think of the idea of restrictions? We're playing the University, who are somewhat known for both secretiveness and freedom of information, so I can see us going either way. But the definitive answer will be based on what you all think, since this is a democracy game. Hopefully we can come to a consensus that everyone can accept; we're a small enough group that I see that as workable. So tell us your opinion, and with luck we'll be able to weave a consesnus that accomodates everyone's.
      We definitely need some kind of restriction on what information can be revealed; how much, I'm not sure.

Incidentally, regarding Social Psych, it would appear to me that the ad posted in the paper suggests that we're only just starting to research Social Psych, which could throw them off a bit, if not by much.

In fact, I'd consider the use of the paper for public misinformation...
      Sound slike a good diea, though I'd keep it to a level where we retain 'plausible deniability' - "What do you mean we lied to you? All we said was that we were conducting experiments with lasers, not that we were researching Applied Physics (incidentally, I'm contemplating putting something like that in the next issue, just as a bit of psychological warfare...)

Comment

Sounds good to me!
        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

The misinformation idea is pretty interesting and really effective, it can help to confuse them about our real intentions or our real progress rate.

I think, however, that we could not censor anything except the most obviously secret information, for we are striving to disseminate the scientific knowledge and to help people get rid of their ignorance, such as in the case of Miriam's minions (oh how I pity them!).
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I'd certainly suggest misinformation as a powerful weapon myself. Make them think we're weak when we're strong and strong when we're weak, give them the wrong clues as to what we're doing, scatter things about. This seems to me sensible. One mustn't overplay things, though. One can't be overly confusing in one's methods, a certain amount of subtlety is necessary. However, misinformation, to an extant, is advisable and perfectly useful.
            Empire growing,
            Pleasures flowing,
            Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Issue #3 posted, with extensive disinformation, as suggested.

Comment

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Truely a masterpiece of embedded lies if I may say so myself. Worthy of a Hive propaganda maker, in fact!

The monitor may not be the most commented factional magazine, but I'd imagine it's the most analyzed one...

Comment

If they actually take any of it seriously, that isue should have them barking up about six different trees, none of which will be the right one...

Comment

Working...
                  X