Official: PBEM or Regular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: PBEM or Regular?

alright, i know we already had a poll about this, but it was unofficial, and now some new people have come. anyways:

PBEM Style - Several teams are formed, likely of about 5 people. Each team plays its own faction, and makes decisions within itself. The turn is mailed to teams like a regular PBEM game
    Pros
    - More fun, much better for role-playing purposes, more challenge
    - Something new and interesting
    - Lets people do what they want (IOW, if you want run planned in your own faction, you can )

Cons
    - We may not have enough participants
    - The whole joining process is more long-winded and not so simple.

Regular Style - Everyone plays together in one faction, and votes to make decisions. The president (or commissioner, provost, or whathaveyou) plays the turn every so often and posts it publically
    Pros
    - the opposite of PBEM's cons
    - you can be sure we can have enough people

Cons
    - Too easy VS the AI
    - Compromises must be reached within the faction

and, i'll let this poll run. no expiry date
    PBEM
    70.83%
    Regular
    16.67%
    Write-In
    8.33%
    Xenobanana!
    4.17%
    Last edited by Method; April 20, 2003, 13:29.

Re: Official: PBEM or Regular?

PBEM

I agree with TKG's pros/cons except for one:
    Originally posted by TKG
    Regular Style:
    Pros
    - you can be sure we can have enough people
    I don't think we will have, and we certainly cannot be sure. While it will need less people to work, we will probably get fewer, IMHO. And we can never be sure we will get enough.

And this is the big thing for me:
    Originally posted by TKG
    Regular Style: ...
    Cons
    - Too easy VS the AI
    It was too easy last time, and if we do it again, we already have a forgone conclusion, we will win. Thus I think it would be much more fun to not know who will win before we start.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

After some personal pondering, I've come to the conclusion that, my earlier opinions notwithstanding, we should give the suggested play style a go. The prospects of intrigue, the roleplaying, the tactics, all that - there is so much more depth on offer in the new play style. Especially if we opt to play with the expansion pack.

So, I voted "PBEM", and really hope that it'll work out. Maybe I can instead of playing become a neutral reporter or analyst or something.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I voted PBEM, although I'm not really sure what the differences are.
        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

well, ok. perhaps i should actually explain that in the first post

Comment

Originally posted by TKG
            well, ok. perhaps i should actually explain that in the first post
            Thanks for explaining.

I'm not so sure about PBEM now, for the following reasons:

1) I've never demo gamed before
            2) My tactics are not the greatest for multiplayer
            3) I won't have much free time for the next few months

Being on a smaller team only highlights my current weaknesses.
            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Voted PBEM, but I've never played PBEM b4. Additionally, would have to agree w/Static in that I probably won't be a 100% participant. Would probably be 50-75% participate.
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Ah, I was kind of afraid of this. We are facing a risk that we won't get that much experienced players interested after all, and with all the not-so-experienced players shunning away from such a more play style (told you Drug ), we might end up with not enough participants.

However, I think that should this PBEM style DG not lift off, we could do it the normal way. However, remember, that the PBEM style is more interesting and exciting than regular. "It was too easy last time, and if we do it again, we already have a forgone conclusion, we will win. Thus I think it would be much more fun to not know who will win before we start." Thus, a new *regular* game might not attract much people from the *first* DG, who are sick and tired of the old system.
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I'd still participate in a second SPDG, but probably with rather less enthusiasm, and I'd definitely want us to find a way to handicap ourselves to try and reduce the 'human conquers all' syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia

However, I think that should this PBEM style DG not lift off, we could do it the normal way. However, remember, that the PBEM style is more interesting and exciting than regular. "It was too easy last time, and if we do it again, we already have a forgone conclusion, we will win. Thus I think it would be much more fun to not know who will win before we start." Thus, a new *regular* game might not attract much people from the *first* DG, who are sick and tired of the old system.
                    I have no problems with the PBEM style, but if there aren't enough people to fill out 6-7 teams, perhaps 2 or 3 teams might be possible?

Comment

Three or four teams would be fine and would help turn rate. I voted for pbem style and smax.
                      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Write-in:

If we can get enough players where each team has at least three active players, I say PBEM... otherwise we should stick with regular.
                        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                          Ah, I was kind of afraid of this. We are facing a risk that we won't get that much experienced players interested after all, and with all the not-so-experienced players shunning away from such a more play style (told you Drug ), we might end up with not enough participants. QUOTE]
                          True, but I'm unexperienced when it comes to PBEM, and I think its worth a go. So I might get slaughtered, but I want to have a go, and it's easier than starting a PBEM straight of, since you have some people to help and guide you.

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                          Exactly. Maybe with SMAX it might be a little different, but we all got a bit bored towards the end of the last one. Unless we can make it much harder, then I see little point in another regular game, personally. Though saying that, if it came to it, I'd probably still participate (how else will I become an Emperor )
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

PBEM. Never played that, but it sounds great to me!
                            AND: Some kind of CNN should be introduced again, but with reports from very different points of view. So a real "propaganda war" could start which would be real fun, wouldn´t it?
                            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                            Let me eat your yummy brain!
                            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Write-in : agreeing with Flame Flash
                              But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
                              PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Working...
                              X