Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: Tech Poll (Repoll)

The poll will timeout in TWO (2) DAYS.

A repoll, as the earlier poll was invalid - it was won by Centauri Psi, but it wasn't even mentioned in the poll that we'd need to research Centauri Genetics first.

I am going to use you as guineapigs try out a new system, so read the explanation carefully.

There will be two kinds of technologies polled. Level 1 techs and Level 2 techs. The idea behind this split is, that level 2 techs are technologies that require one of the level 1 techs. In other words, to research a Level 2 tech, we must research a Level 1 technology first. Note that I won't include Level 2 techs that require two Level 1 techs, as that would make things a bit too complicated.

Now, how will this be implemented in the poll?

Out of the choices, vote for three options. Three is the number of the voting, and the number of the voting shall be three.

You can vote for three Level 1 techs, three Level 2 techs, or any combination of the two; just vote three options.

Now, how do we interpret the results? This is where it gets tricky.

When I compile the orders, I will look at what option came first. If it is a Level 1 tech, no problem. We will research that first. If it is a Level 2 tech, I will order to research the needed Level 1 tech first and then the Level 2 tech right after.

Now, the votes of a Level 1 tech will not be added to the votes of the Level 2 option that requires the same Level 1 tech. If the poll is won by a Level 1 tech, and the runner-up is a Level 2 tech, I will order to research the Level 1 tech first, then the Level 1 tech needed for the preferred Level 2 tech, and then the Level 2 tech.

That way, if someone wants us to just research a Level 1 tech and then another Level 1 tech, his vote will not be used to research something he didn't necessarily want to research.

By all means, do ask, please, if you want to know something; I might have omitted something crucial. And do so preferrably before you vote, to avoid any confusion.

The purpose of the Tech Level system is to allow for the people to opt for beelining into a Level 2 tech if they find it necessary. I deviced this system so that the people could have influence on the course of research.

Edit - for further reference, techs we already have will be called Level 0 techs.

Now, onto the tech descriptions, for those who have lost their copy of the Standard Issue Tech Tree (and thank you for reading all that blather ):

Level 1 technologies:

D10: Digital Sentience
    Secret Projects: The Network Backbone
    Social model: Cyberethics
    Leads to: Applied Gravitonics, Self-Aware Machines, Sentient Econometrics

E7: Centauri Genetics
    Units: Locusts of Chiron
    Secret Projects: The Pholus Mutagen
    Leads to: Centauri Psi

D10: Frictionless Surfaces
    Equipment: Cloaking Device
    Leads to: Quantum Power

B7: Probability Mechanics
    Equipment: Probability Sheath (Def 6)
    Facilities: Tachyon Field
    Leads to: Nanometallurgy

Level 2 technologies:

D11: Self-Aware Machines
    SPs: Nessus Mining Station, The Self-Aware Colony
    Facilities: Orbital Defence Pod
    Requires Digital Sentience

E11: Sentient Econometrics
    Facilities: Paradise Garden
    Requires Digital Sentience

D11: Quantum Power
    Equipment: Quantum Chamber (Rx3)
    Facilities: Quantum Lab
    Requires Frictionless Surfaces

E8: Centauri Psi
    Equipment: Psi Attack
    Various Fungus Restrictions Eased
    Requires Centauri Genetics

E8: Nanometallurgy
    Equipment: Deep Pressure Hull, Carrier Deck, Repair Bay
    Requires Probability Mechanics

We are currently researching Homo Superior (which leads to The Will to Power). As we can not research The Will to Power without Centauri Psi, TWTP was not included in this poll.

As a final note, here are the percentages of how we have completed the tech branches:

Explore - 52%
    Discover - 63%
    Build - 71%
    Conquer - 86%

There. There never was a perfect tech poll, and I suspect this will follow the tradition... This concludes this public service announcement. Go forth and vote, dear citizens. This is The Basement, signing out.
    Level 1: Digital Sentience
    17.78%
    Level 1: Centauri Genetics
    17.78%
    Level 1: Frictionless Surfaces
    0.00%
    Level 1: Probability Mechanics
    4.44%
    Level 2: Self-Aware Machines (requires DigSent)
    17.78%
    Level 2: Sentient Econometrics (requires DigSent)
    13.33%
    Level 2: Quantum Power (requires FricSurf)
    11.11%
    Level 2: Centauri Psi (requires CentGen)
    13.33%
    Level 2: Nanometallurgy (requires ProbMech)
    4.44%
    Write-in
    0.00%
    Temporal Xenobananas
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 6, 2003, 11:07.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Voted Cent. Gen. for the Pholus Mutagen, Cent. Psi. for the greenie bonuses, and Sentient Econometrics because I love the idea of the markets being a living force, and I want a paradise garden

Besides, we have a distinct lack of Explore techs (only 52%) and far to much emphasis on Conquer ones (86%) for my liking. Although the Quantum Chamber would also be a bit nice

Like the poll style Kass, seems the fairest and most future proof (considering how many we discover) method I've seen so far. However, don't we get more than 3 per turnchat?
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

D@mn. I thought I'd finally made the perfect poll with my last one. Hmm, good luck Kass.

Funnily, I'm voting the same as Drogue.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

digital sentience () - network backbone and CYBERNETIC
        Self aware machines - (just to make drug mad) Nessus mining stations!
        Genetics - leads to PSI -> will to power ->Secrets of creation

Comment

Like the poll style Kass, seems the fairest and most future proof (considering how many we discover) method I've seen so far.
          Hmm, good luck Kass.
          Thanks

Originally posted by Drogue However, don't we get more than 3 per turnchat?
          We get one tech per 2 turns, and if I recall correctly turnchats usually gain us five, six turns. Also, GT suggested voting three techs in the poll this poll is a repoll of, so I went with that. Then again, we will probably have a turnthread in the week, so we might get over three techs. This poll result will be used as a guideline.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Dig sentience will pass anyway, and if it doesn't, it's needed for Sentient Econometrics anyway, so I didn't feel the need to vote for it individually.

My predictions: Digital Sentience, Cent. Genetics then Sentient Econometrics.
            Smile

Comment

nice system hopes it works....so we have 4 votes right?
              Bunnies!
              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

No, 3.
                Smile

Comment

Oh, and by the way Drogue, if you vote for three level 2 techs, you'll be theoretically voting for a whopping *six* techs; the required level 1 techs and the actual level 2 techs.

Comment

Digital Sentience! Ya-hoo!
                    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

/me saunters in wearing his medal-covered jacket, preceeded by swarms of leather-clad femme fatales clutching large phallic rifles.

Tech, eh? I say Dig Sent, Prob Mech and Quantum Power.

Military. We can bomb Planet to peace.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Self-Aware Machines, Digital Sentience and Quantum Power.

Comment

Sentient Econ Self-Aware Mechanics Whatever next
                          Smile

Comment

S-AM, SEcon, QP.

Why? ... we're supposed to *think* before voting?

Comment

Working...
                            X