Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Court: Informal: Is the Blood Truce with the Hive constitutional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to clarify on the Foreign Affairs orders I gave, though they do not specifically state that we should accept peace with any warring faction, it is implied by the fact that orders state if their demands for peace are reasonable (which I classified as below 100 ec) accept it. Since there was no demand the proposal for peace was reasonable and hence should have been accepted.
    You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

Originally posted by Cedayon
      Clearly the democratic thing to do is have the DFA post a poll as to whether or not the people want this truce with Yang.
      Seeing as I was the DFA for the term, and I left the turnchat before the crisis resulted, I believe I should state my feeling on the issue. First of all, as stated above, the orders issued though not explicitly stating that we should accept peace imply that we should. I believe that it was the will of our people to have peace and avoid war, following that general will of the people all reasonable offers for a cease to hostilities should be accepted.

Comment

Ok I am going to post the poll.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Voltaire
          Seeing as I was the DFA for the term, and I left the turnchat before the crisis resulted, I believe I should state my feeling on the issue. First of all, as stated above, the orders issued though not explicitly stating that we should accept peace imply that we should. I believe that it was the will of our people to have peace and avoid war, following that general will of the people all reasonable offers for a cease to hostilities should be accepted.
          I agree with the assessment that the people's feelings probably haven't changed on this. I said a new poll was the democratic thing to do (give them another chance to voice their opinions after a significant passage of time), not the necessary or even practical thing

Comment

If the court needs to rule, Adam sent an email out asking court members to declare if they are willing to hear the case by sending an e-mail to the other members. Since we need 3 judges, Adam volanteered, and the first e-mails I got were from Cedayon and the one I sent myself, can be begin to debate this? Preferably quickly, as we need to know which save to use.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Preferably quickly, as we need to know which save to use.
              For Governors (who issue most of the orders), knowledge of which save to use is superfluous, because whether we are at war or at peace with the Hive won't make one iota of difference to most decisions.

Comment

Yes, but we need to know by next turnchat, at the latest. Therefore, it is fairly urgent.
                Smile

Comment

We still have, what, 5-6 days? It's not so urgent that you should be scrambling to make a decision.

Comment

No, be it's urgent enough that we should be starting to debate it. As it is, I believe (although Adam has not yet confirmed this) that Cedayon, Adam, and myself are hearing it, since we were the first 3 to reply to Adams message asking for judges that could hear it. It may take a day or two to get a verdict. No massive rush, but fairly quickly is what was asked for, and I believe it is needed. Of course it must be debated properly however.
                    Smile

Comment

I've been trying to determine whether this is really a constitutional issue, since it doesn't seem to say anything about orders being "outdated" or about who can order the initiation of contact with another faction (specifically whether Herc wasn't allowed to do so).

Kass seems to be available too, but in either case just let me know if I'm needed for formal deliberations.

Comment

or about who can order the initiation of contact with another faction (specifically whether Herc wasn't allowed to do so).
                        Yes the constitution does mention that:

The Director of Foreign Affairs will do all foreign negotiations.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

And since Voltaire, rather than Hercules, was the DFA at the time of the turnchat, no one was present with the authority to order the contact?

Comment

And since Voltaire, rather than Hercules, was the DFA at the time of the turnchat, no one was present with the authority to order the contact?
                            Did the Hive attempt to contact us or did we contact them?

If they contacted us then I gave the authorization to negotiate and therefore the question is a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltaire
                              Did the Hive attempt to contact us or did we contact them?

If they contacted us then I gave the authorization to negotiate and therefore the question is a non-issue.
                              I'm under the impression that Hercules requested the communication, and that Yang didn't initiate the contact.

Comment

That is correct. I requested*, (not ordered), contacting other factions for their up to date views on world matters.
                                (* Is a request an order?)
                                I also asked was it risky? Meaning that say contact with Deirdre for example may have sparked an unreasonable request (as can be her way) from us and to which we did not have the authority to answer.

But there is also another issue regarding the collective responsibility of the cabinet. If for some reason a Dir is unable to attend a turnchat (or has to leave for some reason - sleep, communication breakdown, on holiday , the call of the Japanese schoolgirl) and an issue comes up in the game (and it is not an emergency), should the Dirs, Commish and At, present, be able to take on collective responsibility within the parameters of polled policy on that area.

They did it (recently) with choosing the next tech to research. There was no suggestion that the turn be saved or the game adjourned until the 'new tech to research' was polled.

In short if the policy guidelines and latest instructions are followed does it matter if the Dir is present at the turnchat.
                                On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Working...
                                X