National Fungus Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Fungus Park?

I mentioned it during the election polls, and I figured it's as good a time as any to bring it up:

As you all probably know, there's a very large body of fungus (land and sea) a bit south of the "center" of Akiria. I've attached an image of the area for reference. The blue perimeter I've drawn is the dimensions of what I think could be a "National Park" of sorts, a nature reserve. The idea's pretty simple: we don't touch the squares that we set aside. "Touch" means terraform, crawl, or perhaps even move through.

The perimeter I've drawn is just a suggestion, of course, and I'd like to know what you all think it should be, if we should proceed with this at all.

Oh, and no, I didn't forget to click "post a poll", this thread is intended for discussion ... anyone have any ideas, or should I just let you all go back to the FM v. G/P debate?
    Attached Files

Great plan! Though aren't there a bunch of fungus tiles more to the east as well? And I guess you should also make sure not to plant too many forest around the wildlife preserve. Otherwise the native ecology might disappear as a consequence of our expanding genetically upgraded trees.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
      Though aren't there a bunch of fungus tiles more to the east as well?
      Quite right, picture attached. I do have plans for that nut bonus square, though

And I guess you should also make sure not to plant too many forest around the wildlife preserve. Otherwise the native ecology might disappear as a consequence of our expanding genetically upgraded trees.
      A good point. I wasn't planning on planting any more forest along the "border", though. Perhaps the forest could grow in that direction anyway, but it would take many years and it perhaps wouldn't be so bad to have the ecologies mingle on the outer edges... just adds to the beauty, no?
      Attached Files

Comment

well that's all well and good until it starts spewing forth native life

Comment

Originally posted by TKG
          well that's all well and good until it starts spewing forth native life
          Gotta have something to keep the military sharp ... and I guess we could patrol it with a mind worm unit or two.

edit - a few sensor towers wouldn't be undue, either

Comment

I’m for it, well more accurately I have nothing against the creation of a fungal reserve in the southern portion of the region of Akira, nevertheless it might at some point in time interfere with the expansion of the region (that’s assuming that the administration intends on expanding the region).
            You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

A few mind worm patrols might be a good idea, as would sensor towers. Otherwise, unless we have a pressing need to expand here,

Comment

National parks are good.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

"Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
                  "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

Although I don't see why we shouldn't use it as a "mindworm farm" (Assuming we change to Green, because I think we can't have a natural park with a FM econ.)

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Well yes, it's all good and well, but in the future when we develop faster terraforming, I think we should colonise all the space we can. The fungus will live on on the polar regions and the sea, so it really doesn't need any assistance to exist.
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

because I think we can't have a natural park with a FM econ.)
                        Why not? It's not as if there is any great impetus to develop this particular region, national parks are generally nice for tourists, and in any case environmental damage tends to have some rather negativee conomic effects down the line.

Comment

The idea about Mindworm farming isn't necessarily so bad though, from a RP perspective. A clean empath/trance rover moving about in there could stir up some particulary nasty worms as the game goes on, and I'm sure some of our citizens wouldn't mind paying to go on "Mindworm Safari".
                          Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Especially once we build the Xenoempathy Dome, which will allow us to roar around the fungus like nobody's business. It could generate quite a bit of revenue for us if we can get some Demon Boils (IIRC, they bring in 60-70 per kill, which is more than half the current GNP of Centralis!)

Comment

Indeed. With our up 'till now economic stagnation, that amount of cash is quite significant. It really should only be pocket change at this point, but there's no helping that. This cash could get us back on the right track. The only problem.....we don't have Clean Reactors, do we?
                              Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Working...
                              X