Amendment: SE Poll Settings Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amendment: SE Poll Settings Discussion

I propose an amendment to the Constitution, that means any poll to change Social Engineering settings has to either be:

A choice between the status quo at the time, and one other (such as the current FM poll) and is a simple 'Yea, Nay, Abstain' Poll.
    For example:
    Should we change to Free Market economics?
    Yea
    Nay
    Abstain (or Xenobanana).
    Such as the Impeachment rules in the constitution

Or:

A Choice between all available options.
    For example:
    What economic SE settings should we have?
    Free Market
    Planned
    Green
    Abstain (or Xenobanana).
    Such as the Election rules in the constitution.

Even the latter could mean that it is not quite right, since you could end up with 10 people for FM, 8 for Planned and 6 for Green, but 5 of those 6 for Green would prefer Planned to FM, so in a direct poll between FM and Planned, FM gets 11 and Planned 13. However, I feel that both together, giving the DSE discression to choose between the two, is the best system at the moment.

Currently the part concering polls in the DSE section in the Constitution says:
    May NOT:
    Change the social engineering settings if there hasn’t been a poll saying it is ok.
    I think we should replace this with something saying that the DSE:
    May NOT:
    change the social engineering settings unless there has been a definative "Yes" vote in favour of the change.
    And add to the Polls section:
    May only be started by the Director of Social Engineering. They are purely decision-making polls.
    All polls to change social engineering settings either in format:
    1)
    Poll:
    *Only names options
    *Abstain option (Or Xenobanana)
    *Write-in-option
    *Open 3 days minimum

First post:
    *Only names candidates
    *Link to discussion thread
    *Expire date.
    Or
    2)
    Poll:
    *Yea, Nea and Abstain (Or Xenobanana) only options
    *Open 3 days minimum

First post:
    *Further explanation of question (if needed)
    *Link to discussion thread
    *Expire date.
    The 1st example is take from the Elections section in the Constitution, the 2nd part from the Impeachment part, both amended for SE polls.

I would add both and leave it up toi the discression of the DSE which he wants to post. However I put the up seperatly since people may want one or other of them.

This means polls with options such as "now, sometime later, never" cannot count as official polls, and justification to change SE settings. I propose this because these sort of polls could be misinterpreted. Would someone who voted "sometime later" vote yes or no? Do they want to change?
    Since people come and go, and we have new people constantly, I don't think we should allow a poll where the majority vote "sometime later" to be changed until we have a definitive "Yes" majority, since some may feel differently when conditions have been met, as the situation might have changed.
    Last edited by Drogue; December 11, 2002, 17:53.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

I would accept such an amendment for "official" polls as long as "unofficial" polls were still permitted the flexibility necessary to judge the political climate.

Comment

Yes, I was refering to polls that satisfy "May NOT: Change the social engineering settings if there hasn’t been a poll saying it is ok."
      Smile

Comment

I agree with you general intention. How about polling your second option first
        Free Market
        Planned
        Green
        Abstain (or Xenobanana).

And if no clear winner (ie 50% of all votes cast), the top two SE choices go head to head (in the manner of Planetary Council.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

A choice between the status quo at the time, and one other (such as the current FM poll) and is a simple 'Yea, Nay, Abstain' Poll.
          For example:
          Should we change to Free Market economics?
          Yea
          Nay
          Abstain (or Xenobanana).
          Such as the Impeachment rules in the constitution
          I absolutely concur.
          Or:
          A Choice between all available options.
          For example:
          Free Market
          Planned
          Green
          Abstain (or Xenobanana).
          Such as the Election rules in the constitution.
          Such vote would split out votes, and thus not necessarly represent the people's will. I d concut with an idea like that only if multiple votes is allowed.
          "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
          "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

I also think the multiple votes approach would be the best way to go, considering the desire to change one SE element may be contingent upon where the other ones are. Like "I only want to go Green if we are also Knowledge". I'm not quite sure what these choices would look like, but there needs to be a consideration of the interdependency of the SE factors.

Comment

i agree with almost everything you said Drogue but if we pick the second option i agree with pande that it has to be a multiple vote
              Bunnies!
              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

either one is fine with me. this is actually quite necessary: the current poll doesn't give clear results (because seriously now: you can't honestly say, RP aside of course, you NEVER, under any circumstances, want to run free market...can you?)

Comment

I prefer Herc's idea personally. Poll the 2nd option, without multiple votes (you can't have multiple votes in an election, and I see it as an election of SE settings), however, if one option does not get 50+% of the vote (ie. a majority) then there must be another poll between the two highest scoring settings. This way, multiple votes (ie someone who wants Planned or Green) is brought in, by the fact if Green comes third, and Planned second, unless FM has a 50% majority (which a vote for either of the others will be a vote against FM) they can vote for Planned in the run-off. This is how leadership elections are done in the UK, because it's been shown to mean that the candidate (or SE setting) that is most popular (ie it wins in a choice between that and either of the other two individually) it is elected or used. Basically if your 1st choice doesn't get through, you can vote for your 2nd.

This is, both IMO, and amoung voting behaviour theorists in the UK, the most democratic way to do it. If however people want multiple votes (although they do mean that you can vote Planned and Green in the above example, and it is two votes against FM, against having a majority, and thus slightly undemocratic IMHO) then I will post that.

Which do people want?
                  Smile

Comment

i'd prefer Herc's idea.

Comment

One would like to note something here. I first proposed the preferential voting system as you're suggesting above way back when this game started. As I recall, it was rejected on RP reasons. Namely, that it was more efficient, and therefore violated our faction's description.
                      Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

How is it mroe fficient? I'd have thought that as it took more time, it would be LESS efficient, but more democratic.

Comment

It is less efficient, and more democratic, as Tacticus says. The only reason I'd support it is because it is democratic.

However, I'm thinking that in this democratic society, finding a solution to a problem that is 50/50 (though you know that this isn't going to happen) should be done by the government, a poll in government heads. Thus, it should be an executive order to break the tie. I sincerely doubt, however, that a tie would ever actually occur.

On another note, from my years of rugged adventuring, I can dispell for you all a long held myth...

There is no xenobanana.
                          Empire growing,
                          Pleasures flowing,
                          Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

The poll is up. I have to say I don't think it will be that inefficient, simply because we chnage SE settings relatively rarely, and it means there is a chance that there might be one more poll for the decision , while cutting out extra polls needed for when there is no clear majority. Further more, it defines what is needed to change SE settings much clearer IMHO.

Originally posted by History Guy
                            There is no xenobanana.
                            Boooo.... Hiss

Spoil all our fun
                            Smile

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
                              How is it mroe fficient? I'd have thought that as it took more time, it would be LESS efficient, but more democratic.
                              *Shrugs* Don't ask me. That's the arguement they barked it down on. Or something like that anyway. My memory's a bit hazy ATM.

*Shouldn't be posting after he's been into the Xenobrew*
                              Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Working...
                              X