Democrats for Discovery and Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democrats for Discovery and Development

Presenting the SMAC Democracy Game's first "think tank" -- Democrats for Discovery and Development, or 3D!

What does a think tank do, you ask? Well, we debate policy among ourselves, and try to individually decide what the right course for our government is. This works best if we are "on the same page" to some extent, so 3D is based around three principles whuich we generally accept:

-- democratic decision-making with pauses in the game when necessary to find consensus

-- a Builder as opposed to Conqueror play-style

-- focus on exploration, research, and economic infrastructure-building.

The idea is to to foster discussion among members with a similar play-style. To do this, we have a mailing list at groups.yahoo.com/smac3d/ . This mailing list was originally set up to discuss the merger of two parties, the P4 (Poly Party for Progress and Prosperity) and the EDP (Exploration and Discovery Party). The EDP was reluctant to merge, and the P4 disbanded before negotiations could be finalized.

Is this "discussion group" meant as a replacement for the party? Yes and no. Policy discussions that once would occur within a party might now occur within this think tank. But it's not a party -- it doesn't expect the loyalty of members, and it doesn't put up candidates for positions. This is just a way to allow discussion, foster creativity, and associate across party boundaries.

Our membership is open to anyone who's interested. At the moment, the members are:

AdamTG02
    Maniac
    GeneralTacticus
    FlameFlash
    Mellian
    Mr. President
    Earwicker
    Archaic
    Thud

If you're interested, email me at adamtg@cox.net and I'll add you to the mailing list.
    Last edited by AdamTG02; November 1, 2002, 12:28.
    Adam T. Gieseler

From recent discussion on the mailing list:

In any case, I see several roles for this think tank:

1) To debate proposed policy.
    Through email and through threads at Apolyton, the Democrats for
    Discovery and Development can usefully contribute to discussion by
    coming to a reasoned consensus. We don't intend to vote as a bloc, but
    to vote our conscience; however, by debating among ourselves we try to
    come to a conscientious consensus on what the best policy is.

2) To come up with new ideas
    Since the emails sent here will not go to every SMACDG member,
    members can feel much less on-the-spot and free to brainstorm and to
    speculate. By promoting an environment where members are free to
    express their opinion, we can inspire originality and having fun in debate.

3) To associate outside the contraints of a party
    Man is a social as well as a political animal. While I'd rather
    this list not degenerate into spam, it's true that by associating with
    one another, we break the rigid party boundaries and open the way to
    creative ideas, not constrained by ideology. That's the trend I see
    this NGO as encompasing.
    We're also debating social engineering and term limits.

Mr. President has been added to the mailing list; those who also wish to be added, email me. If you'd like to scope it out before joining, the archives are at groups.yahoo.com/group/smac3d -- and you can automatically join there as well, if you're interested.
    Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

I'm suprised you forgot me on that list there Adam. I'm kind of an unforgetable sort of person, wouldn't you agree?
      Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Any particular reason to go with a mail list instead of doing your talking in threads over here, folks?
        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Cuts down on spam, at least.

Comment

We're just evil.

Edit: It's also easier than sifting through threads.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Archaic: I never received either a confirmation from you that you were interested or a request to take you off the mailing list. You, TKG, and a few others will be receiving emails, but not listed as members, until I get clarification of your wishes. This is so that I don't claim anyone as a member who doesn't want to be.

Since this list was originally designed for P4 / EDP merger discussions, there are a few holdovers from that time. None yet have asked me to take them off the list.

Moomin: The main idea is that email is simpler to use (requiring less preparation time), and that because of that people can be more spontaneous. There's also the factor that posting on a webboard makes you feel more on-the-spot than an email.

The intent isn't to be secretive (as the archives are open to the public at groups.yahoo.com/group/smac3d ), but to have the feeling of a more private environment.
              Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Am I 'off' the mailing list at this point? Because I was once in P4, and by extension a member of that group. Anyway, I would actually like to keep membership or be reincarnated as a member there.
                "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
                Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

all right, guys... if anybody isn't on Adam's list, it doesn't mean you're not included... to found an NGO we need at least five members, and Adam undoubtedly grabbed the first five that actively responded to him on the mailing list.

Doesn't mean you're off... but start responding and posting here and on that list if you really want to be heard.

((Subbing to thread))
                  I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I want Cruisers, so lets research Initiative if we haven't yet. (haven't been keeping myself updated to mnuch on whats going on with our faction in the last few real weeks :P)

-Mellian

Comment

I say we should make a beeline for Tree Farms and carpet most squares with forest. Then head for mineral and energy restictions lifting and build a base with many boreholes etc for building secrets, and if we can find a couple of energy resources, raise the land (farms, colars and echelons) and build a base for research, where we can put the merchant exchange (if its not already built) and the supercolider/theory of everything in one place.
                      Smile
                      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                        I say we should make a beeline for Tree Farms and carpet most squares with forest. Then head for mineral and energy restictions lifting
                        I am in total agreement with your desire for tree farms and mass forestation. But tree farms are available with the tech that lifts energy restrictions - so it amounts to the same beeline.

That said, we should consider timing and location of borehole construction in advance so that formers will already be working on them when energy restrictions are lifted, and so that some tree farms are already completed (or nearing completion) when the holes are finished (and the ecodamaage starts piling up).

Comment

Originally posted by Mellian
                          I want Cruisers, so lets research Initiative if we haven't yet. (haven't been keeping myself updated to mnuch on whats going on with our faction in the last few real weeks :P)

-Mellian
                          We haven't even researched Flex yet (it is running a close second to ecological engineering in the current tech poll).

But I agree that we need to reach out into the seas, and am hoping that Flex remains the priority after restrictions are lifted.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTG02
                            Archaic: I never received either a confirmation from you that you were interested or a request to take you off the mailing list. You, TKG, and a few others will be receiving emails, but not listed as members, until I get clarification of your wishes. This is so that I don't claim anyone as a member who doesn't want to be.

Since this list was originally designed for P4 / EDP merger discussions, there are a few holdovers from that time. None yet have asked me to take them off the list.
                            Consider this a clarification then.
                            Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Working...
                            X