No announcement yet.

The Darkness Reforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About abstain, no-confidence and bananas.
    Technically, the abstain vote is indeed a banana vote, and therefore a non-confidence vote. Congratulations to DE (and Tass) for pointing this out in the DBTS Constitutiton. But in order to stay more SMAC like, we could have an option for "Bananian Fungus" instead of simple bananas or biased "ABSTAIN".

About playing ahead for the director of Science
    I think that would be a mistake to allow any kind of play-ahead. I understand it makes the work of the Director of REsearch more complicated, but it would ruin a part of the fun of the roleplaying : it is normal to be uncertain of the different technologies we'll be able to research.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
    "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

Second draft is now complete, taking into account most suggestions listed here.

Originally posted by Pandemoniak
      About abstain, no-confidence and bananas.
      Technically, the abstain vote is indeed a banana vote, and therefore a non-confidence vote. Congratulations to DE (and Tass) for pointing this out in the DBTS Constitutiton. But in order to stay more SMAC like, we could have an option for "Bananian Fungus" instead of simple bananas or biased "ABSTAIN".
      That's exactly right - thanks for wording it more clearly than I did.

I like the idea of renaming the banana to be more SMAC-like. For now, it's listed as Banana, but if anyone can come up with a more SMAC-like idea, I'll change that.

Any further comments, now that some changes have been made?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkness' Edge
        Second draft is now complete, taking into account most suggestions listed here.

That's exactly right - thanks for wording it more clearly than I did.

I like the idea of renaming the banana to be more SMAC-like. For now, it's listed as Banana, but if anyone can come up with a more SMAC-like idea, I'll change that.

Any further comments, now that some changes have been made?
        How about xenobanana instead of banana?
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000 How about xenobanana instead of banana?
          Done. (for now)

Comment

The word abstain is hereby stricken from the constitution, and replaced with the term 'xenobanana'. This replaces the abstain option in all official polls and elections. This then follows the time-honored precedent where a banana vote signifies disagreement with all choices on offer, or, to put it more negatively, a no-confidence vote in the poll or candidate being voted on.
            and here is my problem in an election you dont know if it is a no-confidence vote in the poll or in the candidate.....
            Bunnies!
            Welcome to the DBTSverse!
            God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
            'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword

and here is my problem in an election you dont know if it is a no-confidence vote in the poll or in the candidate.....
              I really don't think this matters.
              It's never happened before, it will likely never happen again.

A no-confidence vote in a candidate doesn't happen easily. There has to be an overwhelming backlash for it to happen, which is why it has never happened before.

I've been trying to word this up for about five minutes, and I've just about given up. Let me put it this way. In all the time both democracy games have been running, the only polls the banana has won have been stupid, informal polls that made no sense. There was one concentrated effort in the C3DG, but even that petered out, and he was returned reasonably comfortably. They use the banana in this method, even with their ridiculous attention to detail, and haven't had any problems.

If it's good enough for them, why shouldn't it be good enough for our more informal game?

Comment

i think there should be something in the constitution about "if a director is away for a certain period of time without notifying the commissioner (or anyone else) ahead of time that he/she will be away, then they need to be replaced"

that, or let the court handle it (if we get one)

once we get a lot of bases, are we going to divide them up into regions? maybe 4 bases per region or so. if we use regions, IMO we'll need a DTC, DBP and DEI for each region, otherwise, managing 20+ bases would be too much for 1 person to do.

that or combine the DTC, DBP and DEI and make region governors. just a though

Comment

We'll need more participants in that case. Or perhaps we should limit our expansion to a certain number of bases.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by TKG
                    i think there should be something in the constitution about "if a director is away for a certain period of time without notifying the commissioner (or anyone else) ahead of time that he/she will be away, then they need to be replaced"
                    ]

That's really not a bad idea.

Originally posted by TKG
                    once we get a lot of bases, are we going to divide them up into regions? maybe 4 bases per region or so. if we use regions, IMO we'll need a DTC, DBP and DEI for each region, otherwise, managing 20+ bases would be too much for 1 person to do.

that or combine the DTC, DBP and DEI and make region governors. just a though
                    We're going to need a LOT more people. The Civ3 game's the only one on Apolyton that can handle a system like that at the moment.

Comment

i agree we'd need a lot of people, but 20, 30, 40, 100 bases is a lot for one person to terraform, decide workers for, and manage production for

what other choice do we have?

Comment

It's not an issue that's too important yet.

But once we have, say, 10 to 20 bases, I think any ministry that needs it should start taking on Deputy Ministers, like the C3DG.

Base Production and Industry and Energy, certainly, are going to need some. Later on, Foreign Affairs and Peacekeeping Operations may need some as well.

Comment

I said this in the poll thread but it probably should have been here:

Polling for worker placements should not be in the constitution. There will be way too many of them very soon - already it's getting out of hand. Instead we should have base production polls like:

Please indicate how production at TBIBTU should be optimized:

For MINERAL production
                          For FOOD production
                          For ENERGY production
                          For RESEARCH production
                          For [I can't remember the other talents] production
                          For BALANCED production

The Director would then place workers/assign talents to optimize production of whatever we're after. Any more detail is way too much macro-micro-management.
                          What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

I'm inclined to agree.

I said this in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here - that isn't being voted on here. It's already in the constitution, and the only reason it's listed there is because I'm making changes in that section of the constitution

But while we have three bases, I think any poll activity is good activity. After we've got another two, I'll probably write it into an amendment.

Or as I said in the other thread, someone else can write their own bloody amendment.

Comment

I say governers per a region all under and apointed by a director the director can be a governer himself too
                              Bunnies!
                              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Working...
                              X