Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next ACDG: Lower chopper movement points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next ACDG: Lower chopper movement points?

Currently fission reactor SAM choppers have 8 movement points and fission non-SAM choppers 10 movement points. This poll is about my proposal to reduce chopper movement points by 2, resulting in 6 for SAM fission reactor choppers and 8 for non-SAM fission reactor choppers. Would you like that for the next ACDG, or rather not? Please vote! I put the time limit to seven days.
    Yes
    74.07%
    No
    25.93%
    Write-in
    0.00%
    Xenobanana
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Voted no. A large part of these demo games is seeing how other people play, what strategy they think you should use etc. Removing choppers, or limiting them in this way, removes one perfectly valid strat.

Yes, most MP games are a run to MMI, but so be it! If you get to MMI first, then you get to rule the roost for a while, but you'd better be descisive about it, cos everyone else won't be pleased. It also means an early attack is more important for some factions, as they may have the threat of choppers over their heads.
    Play hangman.

Comment

Choppers are a broken element in the game and we all know it, the "thats just the way it is" argument dosent hold any weight because WE are so easily able to change the game with the Alpha, if we want a more balanced and nuanced game then we can and should do so. MMI and IA together put a very strong straitjacket on the players tec strategy (unless you dont care about winning) so removing it by a modest decresse in the power of Choppers (admit it, they would still be the best unit in the game) would open things up quite a bit.
      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Yes, ofcourse. They are way too powerful.
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Voted yes, but I also would go as far as switching choppers and noodles with their respective tech.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I voted no.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I voted yes

In too many PBEM's the game is over after (within, often) the first 100 years when a faction gets MMI

I would even go further and move the Cloudbase Academy from its level 6 tech (MMI) to a level 8 such as Advanced Spaceflight or N-Space Compression. I just think that letting MMI give choppers, the CF and the CA makes it an overbalancing tech

Comment

can't agree more. It also gives factions the 'tuff' choice of whether going for the CF or CBA. Advanced Spaceflight sounds best IMO, if no new techs are allowed to be included in this DG.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Voted no. I want to keep the game pretty much as usual, to see different styles. It was built that way, it was intended to be played that way, and so be it
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

I voted yes. I have a second loading of SMAC(X) where I have decreased the movement points for all air units (including drop pods) by 2 tiles per turn. Makes the game much more interesting, IMO!

D

Comment

Yes. Overpowered. Kill.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Voted yes. Reducing military power makes the game likely to go longer, increasing opportunities to watch how people play builder strategies into the late game, and giving an increased opportunity for diplomacy.
                        Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Also Yes to Googlie`s suggestion.
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Propose we also Poll some of the other options discussed here by Darsen and Googlie.

I would like to add my own too, move the Empath Guild to Centauri Meditation or preferably Centauri Genetics. Otherwise we will likly disable this cool project.

I am asuming that per normal PBEM protocal its unacceptable to most people for the EG to be at Centauri Empathy because its hugely unbalancing infiltration. But I think that if its deyaled its effects will be quite muted. It would be much harder to build before the first Govenorship and now would likly force you to divert your efforts away from MMI for a time. And if you have waited this long to infiltrate people your likly behind.
                            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

I voted no. The main reason I would not advocate major changes like this is that there are different levels of people who are involved in the demo game and some of them want to learn from watching other people play. If something is changed drastically the play strategies and styles would definitely be changed and the purpose of learning and teaching may not be served very well.

I would support Impaler's idea of delaying Empath Guild, however, since it is better compare to the other alternative, which is to disable it.
                              Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                              X