No announcement yet.

POLL: Communications during Sunspot activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking, why not add some kind of unit contact clause? After all, if two units from the same faction are sitting next to each other, they can obviously communicate. Thus, when sunspots hit, if you have a unit adjacent to the other faction you're trying to communicate to then that unit can 'run home' (only in the RP sense) and thus communication can continue.

While biased... another suggestion would be for if you have infiltration with a faction you could then communicate but if they don't with you, then you can't talk back...
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Or perhaps have it only for a week or two, and then allow communication.
      And if we're sufficently advanced (satellites and all that), then just allow it.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

/me thinks the whole sunspot thing is silly - if we can build telephone lines now, why not on Planet? It would take MASSIVE flares (life-threatening ones) to cut communications like this. I'm voting against no contact for the reasons that it is impractical in the game and silly in reality.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

The quirks of another sun, MWIA. And remember that there are two suns in Alpha Centauri. No way predicting what that could do to 'enhance' those flares. And a last point, the magnetic field of Chiron itself. AFAIK it could be more susceptible to this kind of 'interruption' then Earth's magnetic field.

Remember, Battle plans are (at least nowadays) transmitted with encoded quickburst transmissions. Perhaps sunspots have a higher change interrupting the contents of such bursts.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I'm not a dedicated Astronomer, but I am a Physicist, and you can colour me deeply doubtful.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Allow it.

Allow it at all times.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

/me makes a mistake and colours MWIA orange instead.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I voted no contact. I do feel the concerns of tass, Drogue and others. However I feel that if we roleplay well this could be mitigated.

My suggestion is:
                  First, no tech exchange should be allowed. Tech sharing requires substantial amount of information exchange and would be expected to be interrupted easily by the sunspot activity. Even if we are missing 1 digit of data, the tech will not work.

Second, no close coordinate of military plans. For the same reason.

However, faction should still be able to manage get truce or treaty, through multiple attempts, and signals of attacks. For example, one could receive a spratic message like this: "We ... the war is bad for ... wish ... peace ...", or " ... plans to attack ... angel base named ... ".

As for whether real coordination is conducted I'm sure the GooglieGod and tass can moderate the turns, though I realize it means more work for them. We'd all appreciate the work.

Oh and btw the interexchange of ambassordors is approved by the gods as far as I know, for the Drones and Hive is perm pacted. However, the embassordors would not be able to transmit infor back to his faction during the sunspot activity, and thus should refrain himself from posting relavent info in his home faction.
                  Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Even if we are missing 1 digit of data, the tech will not work.

With FEC it will.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

What's a FEC?
                      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

no comunications!
                        if this is roleplaying we have to take it "the full mounty".
                        "Some one told me former operators are not supposed to think much, that's good. I think that was the reason I took this job, ha, that and of course the fact the commissar said so." -t_ras: life through the former operators eye

Comment

I would have been oposed to cutting out comunications at any earlier point in the game (when their was a lot to talk about Diplomacticaly) but by this point theirs little do discuss as we are in the final war.

Still though I am not realy leaning strongly in either direction, I see a bit of RP value and I see a rather silly penalty being aplied to the Hive and Drones who are after all RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER and yet supposed cant comunicate.

Also color me the same orange that was painted on WIA, they could use fiber optic cable for christ sake!
                          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

When would fiber optic technology be discovered according to the game?

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Ummm.... 1970!!!
                              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

But I thought that about all techs are lost in the Unity incident and so we need to research them all from the start.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                                X