Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While the game is on in any capacity, people can still want to be involved in it.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

/me twirls the telescope around looking for another nice view

Oh! Now that's a right picture there - take a look at this :

This image resembling Vincent van Gogh's painting, "Starry Night," is Hubble's latest view of an expanding halo of light around a distant star, named V838 Monocerotis (V838 Mon). This Hubble image was obtained with the Advanced Camera for Surveys on February 8, 2004. The illumination of interstellar dust comes from the red supergiant star at the middle of the image, which gave off a flashbulb-like pulse of light two years ago. V838 Mon is located about 20,000 light-years away from Earth in the direction of the constellation Monoceros, placing the star at the outer edge of our Milky Way galaxy.
      Attached Files
      But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
      PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Hey Makahlua, post a few of other galaxies. The Sombrero or Andromeda galaxie are beauties as well.

This one I haven't seen yet. The clouds look like 2 dragons with an uptight bending tale joining in the tip.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

/me twirls the telescope about again

Here's that Sombrero :
          Attached Files
          But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Comment

/me fiddles with the controls a bit

And th' Andromeda - I got t' tell ye, this is one nice telescope!
            Attached Files

Comment

/me pours another xenorum while enjoying the scenery and starts making a list for other marvelous views.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

What are all these places? Do they rotate around the Eath too like the sun does?

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                  What are all these places? Do they rotate around the Eath too like the sun does?

-Jam
                  I believe they just only escape from us. Last one appears even framed... it's of course CyCon's doing...
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest
                  WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Hercules visits the Rec. Com and views the night sky throughthe Hubble.

Hmm interesting feature.

These supernovae belong to a class called Type Ia, which are considered reliable distance indicators. Looking at great distances also means looking back in time
                    because of the finite velocity of light. SN 1997ck exploded when the universe was half its present age. It is the most distant supernova ever discovered (at a
                    redshift of 0.97), erupting 7.7 billion years ago.
                    SN 1997ck is in the constellation Hercules,

Last edited by Hercules; March 30, 2004, 10:49.
                    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Hercules visits the Rec. Com and views the night sky throughthe Hubble.

Hmm another interesting feature.

This NASA Hubble Space Telescope picture resolves, for the first time, one of the smallest stars in our Milky Way Galaxy. Called Gliese 623b or Gl623b, the
                      diminutive star (right of center) is ten times less massive than the Sun and 60,000 times fainter. (If it were as far away as the Sun, it would be only eight times
                      brighter than the full Moon).

Located 25 light-years away in the constellation Hercules, Gl623b is the smaller component of a double star system, where the separation between the two
                      members is only twice the distance between Earth and the Sun (approximately 200 million miles). The small star completes one orbit about its larger companion
                      every four years.

If you look very closely and long enough you can just about discern a Planet Delta Centauri

Last edited by Hercules; March 30, 2004, 11:00.
                      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Hmm, I must have drunk too much. I'm starting to see posts double.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                          What are all these places? Do they rotate around the Earth too like the sun does?
                          Well, it depends what worldview you follow, Jam.

If your worldview is geocentrisch, then you're right.

But out of your answer, I suppose you haven't even noticed that their is a heliocentrisch worldview. In that view your presumption is also in error.

But even that doesn't come close to what these days is considered the 'thruth' in astronomical circles.

There is a slightly more chance that our galaxie rotates around the Andromeda galaxie since that one has more mass, but in general they are likely to hit eachother in another 10 billion years or so.

For the Sombrero galaxie, that one is fairly far off, and belongs to another 'cluster' of galaxies. The Andromeda galaxie an ours belong to the same cluster, logically named the 'Local Cluster'.

Does this answer your question a bit?
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                            Hmm, I must have drunk too much. I'm starting to see posts double.
                            Nah, the first one isn't visible to me. I think a new interstellar phenomene, called the Red Cross Nebula blinked into existence while uploading. Or else a gamma burst has mixed up the bits a bit.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Does this answer your question a bit?
                              I get it. So a galaxy is like the moon, but smaller, and lighter, but we can't see them because we don't have a telescope, but they are fixed to the dome of the sky anyway?

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

The universe revolves around me!
                                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                                X