No announcement yet.

Interfactional Debating Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah. Stupid PMs....Danieljackson5000@REMOVETHISSPAMhotmail.com is where you can contact me. I hate PMs.

Anyway, I am ready.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
      Bah. Stupid PMs....Danieljackson5000@REMOVETHISSPAMhotmail.com is where you can contact me. I hate PMs.

Anyway, I am ready.
      We have three of the four judges saying they are ready to start judging. I propose we give the teams 24 hours from the time of Tassadar's post to make final submissions before we start Deliberations.

Mead

Comment

No final submissions have been recieved, and no final arguments will be accepted.

Judging has begun.
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

*** HIVE and PEACE - VICTORIOUS ***

HIVE v. UNIVERSITY AND DRONES

Vev, as he admits it, is truly evil. (He role-plays well).

The Hive's arguments may have convinced that, yes, Nerve Stapling (NS) may very well be an essential element of a societies well being.

Strong points of Hive initial argument:
          NS has a long history within the Hive.

NS make the Hive strong. NS would make any well-ordered society strong. If it is not well ordered, then it doesn't deserve to live anyway.

NS techniques have improved dramatically over the lengthy development

Strong points of Uni argument:

Points out that NS destroys Talent's abilities making them into a common citizen. This is something that the judge was not aware of, because this judge has not used NS in his games.

Points out that NS, similar to a painkilling medication, is only a temporary solution, and that greater dosages are required as the populace develops a 'tolerance' to the NS and NS becomes less effective.

Points out that NS may endanger the group by incurring atrocity sanctions and vendettas if NS is used. Also points out in factions that value the individual, NS has deleterious [I had to look this word up in Webster's Dictionary to make sure I knew what it meant: deleterious - adjective - Injuries; pernicious; harmful to health or well being.] effects. Was the use of the word intentional? If so it was good role-playing by the Uni.

Notable points of Hive's rebuttal:
          Kody gets into character.

He argues that only weak factions that NS are in danger. Argues that usually only strong factions NS. I guess he implies that the weak deserve to die?

He notes that the absence of NS in several societies has caused deaths, which could have been averted if the faction had NS. Notes NS does, indeed, increase procreation.

He notes, at his most evil self, that children did die from the NS, but callously commented that they are the most frail, useless, and weakest of the community. He could have expanded this evil thread out by calling them the most expendable.

He shamelessly plugs his new book.

There was not Uni or Drone counter to the second Hive argument. Shame, perhaps it could have turned the tide.

Overall

Uni made three good arguments but was outdone by the persuasions and better role-playing of the Hive.

HongHu's Testimonial of another satisfied Nerve Stapler was entertaining.

Seeing that there has been no Deliberation, nor votes, from the other Judges. I am, own my own authority, whatever that is, declaring a Victor.

HIVE is the VICTOR. DEFEATS UNIVERSITY and DRONES.

CYCON v. PEACE

The Cycon side presented a well thought out argument and challenged the Peace Parrot.

Peace recovered from their first effort at Debate "Up yours, Wire Wing, Awwwwk" did seem a little weak as a form of argument.

The following salvo from Peace, more than adequately addressed the Cycon argument. Just what is the Secret of the Cap?

Is it to shield your parrots from 'friendly fire' byproducts of fellow Peace Parrots (made from all natural and alien worm feed) weapon?

Peace deftly explained that the intermittent Awwwwk was actually an attribute to secure communications, not an impediment to communications.

Seeing the absence of Deliberation on these threads, I declare, barring being overturned by a majority of my fellow (though absent) judges.

PEACE is the VICTOR. DEFEATS CYCON.

Individual Awards

Best Line - foolish_icarus
          "We pirates understand our parrots just fine. If no one else does, all the better."

Most Evil - Kody
          "It is a know fact that children are the most frail, most useless, and weakest of our community."

Best Debaters:
          foolish_icarus for Paece
          Kody for Hive

Honorable mentions:

Vev
          Corellion
          Adam TG02
          Hong Hu

Mead

Comment

I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Now I may be struggling to organise the next event. I think maybe we should try to have the other factions discuss a topic they can debate on?
              Promoter of Public Morale
              Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Pity we never did get around to doing a Peace versus Hive debate.

Comment

I'll debate! I'll debate!

Just someone explain what the hell all this is? :\
                  Trithemius
                  ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

You mean I joined after the REAL fun?!?!?!

Damn the Roleplay, a debate woulda been AWEsome!
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Trithemius
                      I'll debate! I'll debate!
                      Trithemius, are you that bored down in the PEACE forum?
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                        Trithemius, are you that bored down in the PEACE forum?
                        I cannot discuss matters internal to PEACE with non-factionmembers.

Sowwy ^_^ \/
                        Trithemius

Comment

Because, if you really want to, PEACE can still be get rid off, and then you're free to join CPU another faction...

[disclaimer]The above sentence is strictly off-topic and does not represent in any way official CPU foreigh policy[/disclaimer]
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                            Because, if you really want to, PEACE can still be get rid off, and then you're free to join CPU another faction...

[disclaimer]The above sentence is strictly off-topic and does not represent in any way official CPU foreigh policy[/disclaimer]
                            What kind of fool would trade xenorum, parrots, and tricorner hats for a toaster in the noggin?
                            Trithemius

Comment

Well, I'd like to see your tricorner hats cook bread!
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Trithemius

What kind of fool would trade xenorum, parrots, and tricorner hats for a toaster in the noggin?
                                [roleplay? ]
                                Mobilize troops! We are eradicating PEACE!
                                [/roleplay?]
                                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X