Timely turn playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timely turn playing

Simple choice, what happens to teams that play their turns too late. After the 24 hour limit expires, then what happens?

1.) Harsh - The faction is eliminated
    2.) Strict - Googlie opens the save and presses End Turn.
    3.) Moderate - Googlie opens the save and plays only known orders
    4.) Fair - The team gets a warning the first time, then the Strict penalty after 36hours
    5.) Nice - The team gets a warning the first time, then Moderate penalty after 36hours, then next time warning then Strict after 36hours.
    6.) Really friendly - The team just gets a warning (which is a hollow threat)
    7.) Write in
    8.) Xenobanana

Vote is open for 3 days, dicussion thread is here

-Jam
    Harsh
    4.55%
    Strict
    4.55%
    Moderate
    4.55%
    Fair
    13.64%
    Nice
    63.64%
    Really Friendly
    0.00%
    Write-In
    4.55%
    Xenobanana
    4.55%

The poll is expired.

1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Oh, discussion thread was here.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

I'm going for the nice option. A faction shouldn't take such a severe hit to turn advantage unless they make a habit of lateness.

"We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

nice

Comment

I was tempted to vote harsh just for the hell of it.

But I'm a sucker so I voted nice.
          Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

You missed the 48 hours ones. I can't for for anything. I want a warning after 36, and then after 48 Googlie presses end turn. This was an option popular on that thread, but not included here
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

We're all a bunch of softies
              Comrade Corellion, Secretary of Science and Social Engineering for the Human Hive in the Alpha Centauri Police State Game (ACPSG).
              Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
              The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.

Comment

I think we should give Googlie (and the offending faction) a little more flexibility than even the "nice" option. Considering that one has no particular control over when you get the turn, what with time zones, sleep, work, everyone's particular schedules etc., you can't really plan ahead effectively, particularly as you don't know how long the faction in front of you is going to hold the turn, so RL conflicts are bound to occur, no matter how many people are empowered to take the turn.

Even at this early stage of the game, if you get the turn in the middle of the night, you lose a third of your time before you even get started and it can take 12 hours with hardly any decisions to make at all; Of course, things will get more complicated later in the game too. Add a couple of extenuating circumstances like computer troubles, problems with Poly's server, missed/delayed email, blah, blah, blah, and the time adds up pretty fast. So I'd be very forgiving, although I agree that a slap on the wrist might not be enough if some factions turn out to be chronic abusers of everyone else's patience.

My write-in is to let Googlie do whatever he thinks appropriate from the wrist slap through intelligent playing of the turn through to the end-turn button, depending on the circumstances and the specific faction's 'record' in this regard. Of course, we can't demand too much of Googs, so I wouldn't expect a lot of going beyond whatever orders were out there (although since it seems that we've effectively banned the queue, a little bit of build adjustments might be nice for someone with an exemplary record on their first deviation, especially if their plans were readily available to him).

If we were on some kind of rigid cycle like Monday: Hive; Tuesday: Cycon; Wednesday: University; Thursday: Pirates; Friday: Drones; then I could see being harsher since everyone would know in advance what their schedule responsibilities were, but this way, it's kind of hard to be particularly tough.

Comment

No one's voting for Harsh? That's a surprise looks like we're all pretty nice deep down inside.

-Jam

Comment

I am for nice too for the reasons Johnd says.

However how about some chastisement: 75 strikes and you're replaced.
                    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Talking of timely turn playing, ball is in the UoP's court, so to speak.
                      Smile
                      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Nice, of course. I'm so sweet.
                        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by johndmuller
                          (although since it seems that we've effectively banned the queue).
                          The queue isn't banned - in fact, piutting stockpile energy in after a facilities build accomplishes nothing - it's only after a unit being completed that there's any effect (completion plus full ec credits for that turn - it doesn't work that way with SPs or facilities)

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

The queue isn't banned - in fact, piutting stockpile energy in after a facilities build accomplishes nothing - it's only after a unit being completed that there's any effect (completion plus full ec credits for that turn - it doesn't work that way with SPs or facilities)

G.
                            Using the queue as it was intended (by the designers) to be used is effectively banned since putting anything else in there besides Stockpile Energy is foregoing Pieces of Eight in the Treasure Chest that would otherwise go there. That's what I meant by effectively banned. It has become an Albatross, needing to be fed Stockpile Energy rather than a useful tool for organizing your builds (or for planting false buildplans for infiltrators to see).

Comment

No - scenario testing has shown that there's no difference to putting stockpile energy in the Q after a facility or an SP than there is to leaving it blank or putting another fac or SP in the Q

The addition of energy credits only happens when stockpile energy is inserted when a unit is being built

Comment

Working...
                              X