Victory proposal & submissive allies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maniac
    There is a way to escape: attack your overlord faction and force him to break the vassalage "or else". The submissiveness is also broken if the overlord faction is destroyed, in case the overlord faction wouldn't want to listen to reason.

So yes, if you have been military seriously defeated once and been put into submission, you will have to find a way to trick your overlord into military defeat himself. I sense great diplomatic possibilities in that.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I'm fully behind "B" now.

Now on with the game.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
      There is a way to escape: attack your overlord faction and force him to break the vassalage "or else".
      I don't really see the point. If a submissive is allowed to attack the overlord, then there is precious little point for a conquering faction to allow submissive pacts.

Let a faction be wiped out; the members can then be refugees in other faction of their choice.
      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

The value of a submissive could be having a tech or money slave. And of course a smart overlord would forbid his submissive to build eg choppers, so a rebelling submissive won't cause too much damage.

Also submission could be used as a diplomatic tool. For example, imagine that the Human Hive is seriously beating the crap out of the University of Planet. Now the Pirates don't like that because it would make the Hive the most powerful faction. So the Pirates threaten to intervene on behalf of the UoP if a peace isn't signed immediately. Then a compromise between the Hive and Pirate demands could be the submission of the UoP to the Hive.

It's just a fictitious example. I don't know if it'll work that way as AFAIK this rule has never been tried before. But there's no harm in trying I'd say.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Perhaps. The rules that an overlord could impose on a sub would have to be discussed first, I think.

Properly used, formers could cause serious trouble for the overlord, after all.
          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Yes, but being humans we can put rules on it, like the Overlord could say "you cannot alter anything that is within a square of our boundary" or something. And they can't raise/lower terrain then anyway, or it would be war IIRC.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

I think we should leave it at this... when we get to the point of there possibly being a submissive faction the other details should really be worked out between the two factions themselves. A Pirate submissive would be a lot different than a UoP submissive after all (different strengths and such.)
              I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
              X