No announcement yet.

Defection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe people who defect should be forbidden to talk about issues of policy. How to enforce it, though?
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

It can't be enforced; it would just have to be a matter of honesty. However, really, I wouldn't trust anyone not to let things slip, even if by accident, or allow their knowledge to contaminate team policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
        The hive, for example, will never have the problem of defection. Our citizens enjoy the best life possible. It´s just that accidents tend to happen suddenly, here and then...
        We engineer our citizens so that they do not wish to defect.

(remember the gene jack quote by yang )
        :-p

Comment

And we are so perfect, severing the link to the collective could damage the individual. I say be realistic, if someone defects, they are wanted by others because of the info they carry. Let them defect and use that knowlegde, but you can only defect to a faction you've had relations with (thus you know they exist) but you're free to share info then.

This could be very stupid, but I think most of us are happy with our teams, and want to stay. But realistically, if youn defect, you have that knowledge, and if the other faction wanted to use it, they would. To be honest, I'm not really sure, but either could be fun.
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
            but I think most of us are happy with our teams...
            I think Ive been nerve stapled enough times by Yang to get
            free will" out of my system...
            :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II

I think Ive been nerve stapled enough times by Yang to get
              free will" out of my system...
              Nah, you build up a tolerance to it after a while.
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Using pain to instill obedience... how... logical, yet something in my neural nets seems to give a strange feeling at that opinion

"Could there be more to a person than logic?"

Of course not!

Extract from "Meditations on Logic" by Prime Function Drogue Beta-8
                Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                  Using pain to instill obedience... how... logical, yet something in my neural nets seems to give a strange feeling at that opinion

"Could there be more to a person than logic?"

Of course not!

Extract from "Meditations on Logic" by Prime Function Drogue Beta-8
                  Logic without emotion is not logic at all, just as emotion without logic is not emotion at all.

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

An interesting thought, Comrade Tassadar. So would blind love, that causes one to harm their intended lover, not be an imotion, as it is devoid of logic? Would the hatred of another, that causes one to commit crimes, ending up killed or in prison, be not emotions, for they are illogical and irrational? Do you disregard Hume's position that
                    Reason cannot give rise to moral judgments
                    (that emotion can) or Stoicism, which states that
                    Morality is simply rational action, of reason alone
                    ? Both of those would seem to believe that you can have logic while not having emotion, and vice versa.

As the CyCon leader, I speak of Stoicism with much reverance, even being incapable of illogical emotion.

"Questions and Answers about Meditations" by Prime Function Beta-8
                    Last edited by Drogue; May 13, 2003, 13:31.
                    Smile

Comment

Arrr... just have ye robotic minions walk the plank and watch as they short circuit Drogue... there be no mutany then.
                      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

You seem to be mistaken about our nature. Though we do include cybernetic, electronic implants in our systems, they are not designed to allow for short-circuiting. Considering our organic components contain copious amounts of water, it would be illogical to design components that can be short-circuited.
                        Comrade Corellion, Secretary of Science and Social Engineering for the Human Hive in the Alpha Centauri Police State Game (ACPSG).
                        Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
                        The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.

Comment

Perhaps it is time to make some rules regarding defections.

First: Change password.
                          Second: Second post Citizen Registry. Tass is a well known poster but some new acdgers are not. Most people post their intention to join a faction but I haven't checked if they've signed on elsewhere ( I don't think any have)
                          Third: There has to be an agreed gap period before the defector can join another faction. A month has been suggested but maybe 20 turns. This would be a big disincentive to defect as the game develops, as the turns become more involved.
                          Four: We have to recognise there are some areas we can't legislate for.
                          Five: Alternatively maybe there should be an all faction panel including Googlie or other Mod to adjudicate to agree conditions per each individual case. For instance say we had a serial defector.

Just some thoughts
                          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash
                            Arrr... just have ye robotic minions walk the plank and watch as they short circuit Drogue... there be no mutany then.

typical Pirate attitude.
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                              Perhaps it is time to make some rules regarding defections.
                              First: Change password.
                              If any other CMN's have found a way to do this I'd be delighted.

I don't believe it's possible to change a password once a PBEM has started.

G.

Comment

Surely this can't be a serious discussion. Defections? Surely not! You're saying that a player who's been an active member of a faction can *defect* and join another if they happen to be losing? This is ludicrous!

If allowed, players defecting when they see a sea change is going to decide the game, and it'll spoil the game. In addition to the passwords business (it's not possible to change, btw) you've got all manner of strategies and tactics that will become worthless. It's taking the soul out of the game.

My vote would be to do exactly the same as in the Civ3 demo game, and say simply that a player is not allowed to be a member of more than one faction throughout the game full stop. Anything else will ridiculously unbalance a game we've all spent countless hours playing (and also trying to make fair and balanced).
                                We're back!
                                http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

Working...
                                X