• Originally posted by binTravkin
    Note..
    You spotted that quickly.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Uni single faction sounds great! Academic infighting, election of various deans (dean for research being highest vote getter, dean for IT -- antiprobe being lowest), deans running their specialized areas with plenty of monograms from interested faculty members, each dean being provost for a set term (and playing or directing the turn with the guidance of the faculty) in order of rank, deans of various colleges (regions) directing their own terraforming. We could have conferences (debates).

Both the party RPing and the game-playing could be sharpened if there was a real chance of being wiped out in the first few years by the native life. The CMN should set up the map to make the world very hostile, e.g. setting the first base up in the middle of the Great Dunes, creating some nasty surprises for the first explorers.

Of course, the AI factions should be beefed up to make the middle game more interesting ...
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamTG02
        ...Okay, so maybe I don't know how to play the University. I just know that the drone penalty is worse of a hit the higher you go. I assume there are mitigating factors to that, from your reaction?
        Since at higher levels all your citizens are drones anyway, the Uni penalty becomes less of an annoyance the higher you go.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• Originally posted by Maniac

Since at higher levels all your citizens are drones anyway, the Uni penalty becomes less of an annoyance the higher you go.
          Well, I know the Uni is also easier on lower levels, because drones are less of a problem in the beginning. So, maybe the difficulty tops out on Librarian, which is what I usually play on? That'd make some amount of sense.
          Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

• No, it's just there are known and routine strategies to fight Uni drones.
            The most popular one is to simply build VW - that gives you 2 always drone-free citizens per base.
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• How about SMAC_Down?

Also, look at

for the genesis.

It started as a post of one player's setup, received rave reviews from some of the top 'poly players of the time for being challenged, was revised (SD 2100), received more feedback, revised again (SD 2150) and again (SD 2151) and again (SD 2152).

It wasn't completed. In the last post, its author pointed out the need to turn off Planetary Datalinks, Cloudbase Academy and Cloning Vats.

The advantage of this SP game is (1) the player controlled faction is the University faction, (2) it has already gotten high praise as a challenging game (Vel loved the fact that he initially lost games to the AI) and it would allow for plenty of positions for roleplaying and for gameplaying (ambassadors to each of the three Allied factions, military positions, base governors).

The challenge would be mitigated by the fact that it can be played out (and the map and AI's positions can be discovered), but that may be balanced out by the democracy aspects and rotating turnplayers.

It would be nice for the competive if the roleplaying and gameplaying aspects are integrated, i.e. debate among intrafactional parties about the way to proceed in this hostile game carry over to the actual game moves. Then part of the game is getting your viewpoint translated into game moves that help the faction survive.

For the noncompetive, it would be the cooperative aspects (division of labor) that contribute to the factions survival.

Having a real chance the game might end with an AI victory would make the game more interesting to all players and to anyone who browses (one advantage of a SP DG is no private forums).

And if we want an unknown map and location, perhaps we could ask an experienced CMN to reverse engineer SMAC Down to a new map and starting locations.
              Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• Still not an elephant

Bump. I assume this thread would be needed right now.

Don't make me top this.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• I'll continue with my advertisement campaign.

If besides neat roleplay you also want an innovative and challenging gameplay, let's play the next ACDG with SMAniaC. Tension and good AI opponents guaranteed!

This screenshot shows Cult forces overrunning my defenses. I hope to mind control the ship the Cult will produce next year, and gain their superior weaponry and armour in the process. If it fails, my last land base will probably fall as well, despite my stalling tactic of destroying the roads behind me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Don't expect to get all the secret projects you want. I'm Genesis...

(tell me if I should stop spamming this thread )
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Looks like fun
                      What's a Gattaca?

Comment

• Gattaca is a movie resembling root beer
                        Mart
                        Map creation contest
                        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

• An excellent old school scifi thriller that has emphasis on its story and characters instead on special effects like most scifi movies today.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by mart7x5
                            Gattaca is a movie resembling root beer
                            wortelbier?

Comment

• Just a question: what about using Aldebaran mode?

Comment

• Re: Still not an elephant

Originally posted by Illuminatus
                                Bump. I assume this thread would be needed right now.

Don't make me top this.
                                Long time, no see.

RL happens.

I'm up for a new game.

The single team effort versus enhanced (and perhaps assisted) AI, sounds good to me.

Mead

Comment

Working...
                                X