Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does anyone know...

    Two questions:
    Will this be another 1UPT game?
    Will units be able to march into the ocean and magically create transports under them?

    If the answers to both are "yes", I've just saved $60.

  • #2
    Generally 1UPT, but I think I've seen suggestions about being able to "combine" units (I think this means adding siege units to other types).

    It put me off Civ V due to experience with unit limits in CTP, but hopefully they'll do it better this time.
    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Brutus66 View Post

      Will units be able to march into the ocean and magically create transports under them?
      Yes
      Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
      Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the responses.

        I'm not an advocate for the old "stacks of doom", but the 1UPT was equally ridiculous. I would like to see stacking for at least two or three units, particularly giving melee units the ability to escort ranged units.

        The auto-amphibious ability in Civ5 was a real deal breaker for me. It was a lazy way of getting around having to develop AI that could coordinate loading units into transports, favored by lazy players. Every time I saw it in action it rankled me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Brutus66 View Post

          The auto-amphibious ability in Civ5 was a real deal breaker for me. It was a lazy way of getting around having to develop AI that could coordinate loading units into transports, favored by lazy players. Every time I saw it in action it rankled me.
          I do hate it too
          Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
          Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

          Comment


          • #6
            I suspect the new cliffs are a way of creating limited landing/boarding points to simplify things further for the AI.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Brutus66 View Post
              I'm not an advocate for the old "stacks of doom", but the 1UPT was equally ridiculous. I would like to see stacking for at least two or three units, particularly giving melee units the ability to escort ranged units.
              What really bugged me about the 1UPT was that you could never send several units on a multi turn move because with random initiative they would each get in each other's way.
              CircuitBoiwannabe
              "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
              Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Elok View Post
                I suspect the new cliffs are a way of creating limited landing/boarding points to simplify things further for the AI.
                also, because on planet earth there are in no way places that are less than ideal to stage a naval landing.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by self biased View Post
                  also, because on planet earth there are in no way places that are less than ideal to stage a naval landing.
                  Oh, there are. But there are both real-world and game-mechanics reasons for many things, and sometimes it is obvious that the latter is the real driving point. For example, in the real world there really are neat natural things like geysers and canyons and crap. But since discovering same does not have any significant effect on the real-world wealth or happiness of nations, it seems reasonable to attribute their inclusion more to the game mechanics reason that they wanted a rat-lever bonus for exploring. Likewise, there are unsuitable landing points IRL, but as they are not a large driving force of history on Civ's typical scale one suspects they were included more for game mechanics. Especially since the previous installment radically simplified marine-transport logistics in a different way, by essentially giving all land units organic water transport.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The final Civ4 AI was quite good at naval invasions. They would build transport + support ships fill them up and dump them near one of your cities which is pretty close to what you need to do if you are doing a naval invasion.

                    I vividly remember a game I played where Monty swept his continent and landed a ton of troops on my shores. I was really impressed.
                    Quendelie axan!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah... but there were times when a ship would land and the only units they dropped off were catapults
                      "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
                      Lessons in Christianity.

                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I remember a Civ 1 game in which I started in North America (earth map), conquered the Sioux in South America with chariots, built up a bit until cannons, and then proceeded to conquer all of Eurasia with hordes and hordes of cannons.
                        Indifference is Bliss

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I remember reading an article where the designers were interviewed about Civ V - they stated the IUPT was for playability. Perhaps I misconstrued that to mean HUMAN playability, but it was really AI playability.
                          Haven't been here for ages....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Shogun Gunner View Post
                            I remember reading an article where the designers were interviewed about Civ V - they stated the IUPT was for playability. Perhaps I misconstrued that to mean HUMAN playability, but it was really AI playability.
                            Don't think so; limitations on units/tile make AI pathfinding harder not easier.

                            More likely it was a design decisions by someone who hated SoDs
                            "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Myrddin View Post
                              Don't think so; limitations on units/tile make AI pathfinding harder not easier.

                              More likely it was a design decisions by someone who hated SoDs
                              Ah yes...the SoDs did get a bit out of hand in previous versions of Civ. Seems like traditional/normal stacking limits could be a nice compromise. Avalon Hill and SPI wargames usually had a three unit stacking limit. Seems like Civ 6 might be finding that nice compromise. Thanks Myrddin!
                              Haven't been here for ages....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X