Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emperor easy (6) , Immortal too hard (7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emperor easy (6) , Immortal too hard (7)

Hey, I bought the civ 5 complete edition and found the game incredibly easy at first. Way easier than civ 3 and 4 to my surprise. Even my first games on the lower difficulties were fairly easy. Only time I had trouble was on difficulty 4 when I didn't think battering rams would do much damage to my city.

It didn't take long for me to forsake ground units, and just use a combo of 3 frigates with +1 range and about 10 privateers and take over the world, even on difficulty 6. I even fooled around with catapults and watched as the AI took them out in one turn with composite bowman + bombardment.

Everything changes on immortal difficulty. For starters, I couldn't even get close to getting the great library nor hanging gardens. Both key in my opinion to keep up on tech. Next, barbarians were a real nuisance, often outteching me. Its disconcerting seeing barbarian pikemen fighting you warrior. Third, the AI is much more aggressive to both you and to other AIs. I had two AIs fighting me when Japan sneak attacked and stole my iron mine city, setting me back about 30 turns.

I assumed China was the best at fighting, but I can't seem to win. I finally gave up when I went to war with Korea, and their great war bombers pelted all my +1 range frigates. With 120 city strength there is no way I can keep them down. The AI can just throw ridiculous numbers and kill a few of my veteran units. Sending 2-6 units a turn at me not giving me a chance to heal up.

My main problem is the aggressive AIs sees me as the weakest nation, and rightfully attack me. Then, some peaceful nation like Korea just gets about 8 techs above everyone grabs order ideology and builds every wonder. None of the AIs can be persuaded to attack the runaway civ, and the warmongers just keep pushing me back/sneak attacking.

The AI takes incredible losses, but ultimately slows me down. For example, I took a city next to an iron mine, and then Japan attacks with about 8 pikemen, 8 caravels, 8 gallesses, just in the first wave. I managed to fend them off with 2 China unique unit and 5 privateers, 5 sea beggars, and 3 frigate or so. Only reason I won is prize ship, I stole the Netherland ships and used them for my own.

One of my main problems is I'm using up about 40% of production on unit maintenance, not enough unit supply. Any tips? Is war the right answer? I was 22 turns away from building the great library when it was built and I teched straight for it. I went tradition max, then honor to +50% unit experience, then exploration one when I gave up. Had a whooping three cities. Normal sized map, normal speed, water map.

Btw, I've run into this problem in other civ games and easier difficulties. Mainly when Attila the Hun starts close to me, and attacks relentless. Attila can just send wave after wave of units. Meanwhile India on difficulty four techs to great war bomber and then sneak attacks me, for some reason I thought Gahdi wouldn't be a warmonger, I was wrong. The Ai loves those great war bombers against reconnaissance units.

My main problem is the aggressive AIs sees me as the weakest nation, and rightfully attack me. Then, some peaceful nation like Korea just gets about 8 techs above everyone grabs order ideology and builds every wonder. None of the AIs can be persuaded to attack the runaway civ, and the warmongers just keep pushing me back/sneak attacking.

Comment

Working...
    X