Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Into the Fray Again

Hello,

I used to play the hell out of Civ2 MGE, was a member of the Scenario League and used to be quite active in the community here.
    I preordered Civ3, and completely hated it, then moved on to other games like Total War for my strategy game needs. Someone in another community I am in was telling me all about Civ5 and how much he liked it (he is a CivFanatics fan, so I knew right off the bat not to trust him, lol) but I added the game to my wishlist on Steam 2 days ago. Lo and behold I get an email today letting me know its on sale for 75% off, and I just pulled the trigger on it.

From what I've read, you all hate it, but I'm looking forward to playing it without nitpicking subtle nuances and since I haven't really played Civ in 10+ years now, I'm hoping to enjoy myself.
    Just wanted to say hello, maybe some of you might remember me, most probably wont, and if anyone is in contact with member Henrik please tell him to get in touch with me. I've emailed and PM'ed him over the years but I can't seem to get a hold of him; we were good pals back in the day.

Keep on Civin'!

Hi, and welcome back klesh! Unfortunately Poly is all but dead now, at least in civ context, but there is always CFC and WPC around. I find Civ5 to be a good game, if not as good as Civ4 were. I hope you'll like it!
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Hi.
      Wow, you weren't kidding about Apolyton being dead. Its been 2 days and zero posts to the Civ5 general forum! That's kind of disappointing and shocking. CFC seems to have plenty of Civ5 activity, I wonder what happened?

I played a bit of Civ5 already and I have to say I liked it well enough so far. Huge world map as Russia. Unfortunately I apparently landed in China rather than Russia, but I have been having a good time figuring stuff out. I chose Prince difficulty but I think its a little too easy at this point, I seem to be having no problems. Game looks and runs great on my machine, using the Dx11 option. No complaints so far. The new combat is interesting with ranged stuff and one unit per tile, but I think I've got the hang of it. I put the .pdf manual on my ipad for offline reading so I can try to figure out some of these things that are completely new to me like great generals etc. I'm quite impressed with all the options though, I founded Taoism and had no idea what to expect, then saw all the choices for bonuses. This game is miles beyond CivII, which of course is to be expected.

Comment

Glad that you like it.

What happened with poly is not easy to pinpoint, it had a slow downhill struggle which culiminated in a split (into old poly and new WePlayCiv, where I hang out mostly now. That site is quite small, but has retained the good tone that IMO poly has lost). And Civ5 never was liked here, so the oldtimers left/abondoned the game. Also, Civ4 was full of beta testers from Poly, just as Civ5 was full of CFCers and WPCers. CFC is where the big activity is now, together with the official 2K forums.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Welcome back, man!

Sadly, you won't find many fans of Civ5 here, as most of the regulars hated it & consider it an abomination before god, but you will find lots of people who still love and play Civ4 which is hands down the best Civ game ever made. Personally, I think the odd numbered civ games are bad (3 & 5) while the even numbered ones are great (2 & 4). If you haven't played Civ4 with the expansion packs before then you're missing out and you should pick up a copy off of steam.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Still fans of game aren't have no interest in it.Why isn't Civ5 taking place in ranking.
            On the other hand.Civ4 gains lot of popularity among fans.

Comment

Comment

I like Civ 5. I have 3467 hours playing it.

Comment

CIV 4 is great especially if from strategic standpoint (you have a lot of options for expansion). Civ 5 tends to focus more on policies and diplomacy (though the diplomacy is not very straight forward and isn't as great as it was "supposed" to be).
                  www.playnswap.com
                  Trade video games for FREE!

Comment

Working...
                  X