Smokey Skies is pretty cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey Skies is pretty cool

Been digging it. I like the funky units and the steampunk graphics.

The AI has a hard-on for those fliers though. It goes way overboard, 5-10 per city in the game I just played. Which is too bad because I like the blimpie airships. But those are dead in an instant if you get anywhere near a city.

But man, start somewhere without coal and you are kind of screwed. You will be begging people for coal the entire game.

And the settlers take freaking forever. I built one then gave up. But happiness wasn't really a big problem for me so I didn't have to spam cities everywhere just to get the luxury resources, which is a change of habit.

Battleships take on a very important role if you're fighting coastal cities. Big time. Shelling a city from offshore just outside of their firing range is strangely satisfying. Destroyers are basically worthless except to detect subs.

This scenario has totally and forever changed the way I will utilize artillery in Civ 5. I used to be pretty sparing with it except for a handful to work on cities... now I see the light. Also I don't see myself ever garrisoning a melee unit ever again if I have a choice.

So if you have Gods and Kings and haven't played this yet you are missing out. Get busy!

Indeed, the Steampunk mod is cool.

It should have been cooler, though.

Too many units were the same as in the regular game. They should have pretty much all been different, and it should have been a scenario instead of a mod. It's really stupid to find yourself with all sorts of tech in the 1800's but no cities.

That said...it's pretty cool that you can manufacter most of the resources you need if you don't have access to them...
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

There are buildings you can build in your cities that give you 2 each of their special steampunk mod resources. They are used for the airships and the advanced tanks.
      I don't know what I've been told!
      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
      Love to press the Buster Switch!
      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Working...
      X