Silk and Academies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silk and Academies

I never build academies in Civ V, but I finally broke down in G&K and built 2. One science and one religous, each on silk hexes. When placing, the box said that the academy would reduce my coins by one and increase my research by 8 or faith by 6 and that the resource would be connected to my trade network. I assumed that this meant that I would get to keep the silk in each of the hexes. It's not happening. The hex produces the resurces as promised, but the silk has disappeared.

I had traded one silk to another civilization, so I should have had 2 silks left, but I had none. The trade box showed no silk and my happiness went down and showed no silk. When the trade ended, 1 and only 1 silk came back.

Despite this, I love G&K. It's just not perfect - but we knew that would be the case.
    Quality is Job 1.01

Unfortunately, it is and always has been that Silk requires a Plantation in order to be recognized as connected to your network. It's best to put Great People improvements on hexes that do not have special resources already, since you can not get the "two for one".
    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

There is strict requirement of what should be on top of the resource in order to be connected to your trade network. Silk require plantation and ONLY plantation, no any other improvement can provide you silk. When you use GP, you are replacing plantation, and thus, disconnecting the resource.
      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Actually, the Civopedia says you can get strategic resources with academies. The silk just looked so much better, but it is a luxury resource and so I didn't get it. Oh well.
        Quality is Job 1.01

Comment

It does work with strategic resources but not with luxury ones. This is what was designed, not a bug. You can argue that the design should have been different, but you can't fault the game for doing what the rules state.

Mike

Comment

The actual box that comes up when you are trying to build an academy says that strategic resources are connected to the trade network. The fault is that it should not tell you that strategic resources are connected when you are about to build a luxury resource. It is misleading although it is technically correct.
            Quality is Job 1.01

Comment

Working...
            X