Re-installed Civ4 and the expansion packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-installed Civ4 and the expansion packs

I'm not a Civ5 hater - I'm just not a Civ5 lover.

I think its the one unit per hex that bothers me the most. Also, maybe its that my pointer finger got tired hitting "next turn" over and over again. What? Only 45 turns until Navigation is done? Let's check the city - oh, only 21 turns until an archer is done. I like playing on the bigger maps and the longer game time frames because you can enjoy what each era has to offer before hyper researching AI invents everything, but that's not really possible in Civ5. Perhaps I'll try again on a smaller map with shorter timeframes, but that would kind suck if my empire only fielded one massive archer army unit (it must be massive because stacking TWO archer units would just be impossible...can't even consider such craziness) but alas, before I could build a second archer army unit (science makes the bow and arrow obsolete). But wait, my super archer army can park themselves in Morocco and fire their arrows over the Strait of Gibraltar killing a unit. Apparently getting behind a rock, under a shield or just taking a few steps back doesn't occur to these units under bombardment.

I know...gripe, gripe, gripe. I'll come back and check out the God and Kings expansion pack, but I don't imagine they will fundamentally change the stacking framework of the game in an expansion pack. Its a shame...I'm sold on the hexes over the squares....why not hexes AND stacking? And fix the bombardment. Its not that powerful and it doesn't have that range -- at least in the ancient to medieval eras.

I am glad to see Apolyton is still up and running so I can download my fav Civ4 game mods. Thanks guys.
    Haven't been here for ages....

welcome back SG

just like you, Im back to pop in and out many a ole peeps are still here

hope to see ya about
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner View Post
      I'm not a Civ5 hater - I'm just not a Civ5 lover.

I think its the one unit per hex that bothers me the most. Also, maybe its that my pointer finger got tired hitting "next turn" over and over again. What? Only 45 turns until Navigation is done? Let's check the city - oh, only 21 turns until an archer is done. I like playing on the bigger maps and the longer game time frames because you can enjoy what each era has to offer before hyper researching AI invents everything, but that's not really possible in Civ5. Perhaps I'll try again on a smaller map with shorter timeframes, but that would kind suck if my empire only fielded one massive archer army unit (it must be massive because stacking TWO archer units would just be impossible...can't even consider such craziness) but alas, before I could build a second archer army unit (science makes the bow and arrow obsolete). But wait, my super archer army can park themselves in Morocco and fire their arrows over the Strait of Gibraltar killing a unit. Apparently getting behind a rock, under a shield or just taking a few steps back doesn't occur to these units under bombardment.

I know...gripe, gripe, gripe. I'll come back and check out the God and Kings expansion pack, but I don't imagine they will fundamentally change the stacking framework of the game in an expansion pack. Its a shame...I'm sold on the hexes over the squares....why not hexes AND stacking? And fix the bombardment. Its not that powerful and it doesn't have that range -- at least in the ancient to medieval eras.

I am glad to see Apolyton is still up and running so I can download my fav Civ4 game mods. Thanks guys.
      I don't mind the one unit per tile. Not totally gung ho about it, but it doesn't really seem like the biggest problem. Though the very high build costs for everything and the rather small effects of buildings and wonders makes the game rather boring. I'm also not a Civ5 hater, but I do find myself still playing more Civ4 then 5.

Apolyton is still going strong! Stick around a while.

Comment

For me it was the the mediocrity of the terrain.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

First my couple year old compy couldnt run it (super painfully slow even with all the graphics settings set way low)

Then once I got a better compy it was like... huh? All this wait for this? I mean the graphics are a little better, and the social policy thing is... different, not really better than civics, just different... so why bother? To me Civ 1 was so awesome, and each new Civ seemed to just improve on the prior one and add new cool stuff, while dumping the broken or buggy stuff.

With this one it seems like they tried to fix something that wasn't broken, and got rid of a bunch of stuff I loved like religion, Espy, Corporations.

Why not fix the war movement in Pitboss? Why not fix the Micro/vanity units for Espy, corps, and Religion? What about unit gifting/trading in the diplo window like in Civ 3 (workers). Get rid of suicide siege and bring back Civ 3 siege.

At this point Civ is like Madden or COD (at least BTS was IMO) in the sense that its done really, just needs tweaks and graphics improvements. We didn't want/need a totally different game

Grrrr... gripe, gripe, gripe

Comment

For me it was the lack op depth in the game.. I missed, corporations, religons, transport ships, huge army warfare.
            I hated the new civics system, and miss my stacks of doom.. for rest it was a great game
            Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

Civic system.
              City states being gamey gamey gamey, and when modded out many civs suddenly lose their bonuses.
              These two make the game a total miss in terms of recreating history for me. No revolution. Louis XIV's France and the Third Republic have about no civic choice in common, but Civ V can't model that. And Brasil is a bunch of city states?!?
              Terrain being mostly the same and providing little or no interesting choice.
              Stupid modding restrictions (wanna add a resource = mod the map generators).
              AI so dumb you could beat the hardest difficulty level without really thinking about it.

It's too bad, I love the hexes.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Well, it's sort of bogus to do it, but you actually can change some of your civics.

ie, if you are running Piety, and you decide you want to run Rationalism instead, you can. You have a period of anarchy (presumably in which all the athiests in your country rise up and start slaughtering priests or something), you lose your progress in Piety, and can then start on the road of Rationalism.
                I don't know what I've been told!
                Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                Love to press the Buster Switch!
                Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7 View Post
                  Well, it's sort of bogus to do it, but you actually can change some of your civics.

ie, if you are running Piety, and you decide you want to run Rationalism instead, you can. You have a period of anarchy (presumably in which all the athiests in your country rise up and start slaughtering priests or something), you lose your progress in Piety, and can then start on the road of Rationalism.
                  Sure. But why would you waste points on piety to then go to rationalism? It is suboptimal to say the least. I think noone trying to play competitively would ever do that whereas revolutions are far more common in civ I-IV.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                    Sure. But why would you waste points on piety to then go to rationalism? It is suboptimal to say the least. I think noone trying to play competitively would ever do that whereas revolutions are far more common in civ I-IV.
                    True once started a civic I never choose another that invalidates an earlier one. Since the cost goes up throughout the game you can never recuperate that....

Comment

Civ4 with the expansions was damn near perfect and certainly the high water mark for the entire genre. All they had to do with Civ5 was not **** it up, just up date the graphic, maybe put in a hex map and then call it a day. But NO they wanted to try to reinvent the wheel and the hex shaped wheel really wasn't as good or as useful as the old fashioned round wheel. Epic fail.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                      X